New Domain Name - Redirect?

rjn

I have just taken over a website that I will be renaming soon. I will want to redirect visitors from the old name / site to the new name / site.

This sounds like a redirect that is done after the new name / site is activated. Please let me know if this is true and any steps that I need to take that may not be obvious to a new webmaster.

Thanks.

Thanks, but I will need a little more guidance. I will want people that either bookmarked the old site name or find a link to the old site name to get redirected to the new name.

If attaining webmaster competence can be equated to school, I'm still in grade school, but I am sitting in the front row.

You could also park it on your new domain :sleepy:

Weezy

Are you going to own two domain names?

If yes, you can ask support to park one domain on top of the other. You will then have to change the name servers for each of those domains to point to the TCH name servers you received in the welcome email.

If this is not what you are wanting, please ask again with as much detail as possible so that we may give you a correct answer. :sleepy:

I see that the question may be more difficult than the answer. I will not promote the old name, but I will not be able to prevent some people from still trying to use it (if they bookmarked it or if a link is provided on another site). Does this help clarify my request?

Are you going to own two domain names?

If yes, you can ask support to park one domain on top of the other. You will then have to change the name servers for each of those domains to point to the TCH name servers you received in the welcome email.

If this is not what you are wanting, please ask again with as much detail as possible so that we may give you a correct answer.  :sleepy:

Is the old name going to still exist? Is it in another location? You can add a redirect on that site to send them to the new site.

If you own both domains just have support park the old one on top of the new one. Change the name servers of the old one to the same name servers as the new one.

When people type in or go to a bookmarked link they will be taken to the new site.

I'm a bit of a webmaster newbie myself and it has taken me a while to figure out some of the terminology that the more experienced folks here throw around. I think you might be getting confused by the "park" terminology.

From what I understand, "parking" a domain name allows a site to have more than one domain name, so that when a user enters either the main site address or one of the parked addresses, they end up at the same page. I think this is what you want to do. You would setup your new site with the new domain name and then "park" the old domain name on the new site. You would also have to edit the old domain registration info so that the old domain points to TCH's server.

-Steven