Cyclic Redundancy Check

jme574

While trying to transfer files from one drive to another, I get this error:

Error Copying File or Folder

Cannot copy xxxxxxxx: data error (cyclic runundancy check)

Does that mean that files i was trying to copy over to the 2nd drive are bad or that a section of the 2nd drive is bad?

I was copying over 25 gigs and got just over half way through the process when the error popped up. I am able to access everything before the error, but after i get the error, it stops copying.

I believe that error is a read error - the problem is with the file on the drive you are copying *from*. If there was a CRC problem writing the file (like due to a bad sector on the disk), the disk should automatically find the next available good sector and keep going.

so on the drive that i am copying from - some of those files are bad due to a bad sector on that drive? When i came to that section it gave me the error and stopped copying, it never went any further. I am able to access all the files and use them on the first drive, i only get the error when i try and copy them.

so on the drive that i am copying from - some of those files are bad due to a bad sector on that drive?

About all that can be said is that at least one file on your drive (the file that you can't copy) is corrupted in some way - a bad sector is just one possibility.

I don't know how you're copying the files (or what OS you're using). In Windows XP, you could open a command prompt window and use xcopy /c to copy your files and continue even if errors occur. (Use xcopy /? to see all options available for xcopy command.)

• 2 weeks later...

(I figured while I'm here, I mind as well put my 2 cents in)

CRC errors typical occur during the validation after the drive write occurs.

If you are seeing this during drive to drive copy, the first thing I would question are your cables.

1. If you are using anything faster then ATA33, I would check to make sure your HD cables are ATA33+ cables. (They are also known as 80 pin cables. The main difference is the grounding wire running between each cable. The concept is identical to SCSI cable vs. old ATA cables.).

2. Check to see if your cables are too long. Long cables are susceptible to noise. Though with ata33+ cables, this is less likely.

If the above fails then:

1. Do a full disk scan.

2. Check BIOS of your system, and driver updates.

If your system is newer then 4 years, these problems are unlikely.

Good Luck!