While that may temporarily stop it, the best prevention is to keep things updated with the current software. There are usually exploit fixes that accompany the updates. Only so much can be done on the server side of things.

From their website:

The discovery of a potentially serious security hole has necessitated the release of vBulletin 3.0.7. All customers are strongly encouraged to take one of the actions described in this post.
While that may temporarily stop it, the best prevention is to keep things updated with the current software.  There are usually exploit fixes that accompany the updates.  Only so much can be done on the server side of things.

From their website:

The discovery of a potentially serious security hole has necessitated the release of vBulletin 3.0.7. All customers are strongly encouraged to take one of the actions described in this post.

It's just wierd it never happened until now.. maybe my number just came up. who's knows.

The security hole they are talking about is email, when 3 came out, you could use the system to send email without being registered. Some boards even disabled the email system because of it. The 'fix' ended up breaking a lot of other things. I never upgraded, not good to jump on the latest version just because it's new. They always have as many bugs as they fix!

It's just wierd it never happened until now.. maybe my number just came up. who's knows.

Makes sense to me. TotalChoice sites are googled more frequently than any other web host I've been with. So your site is probably more visible now. :angry:

If your going to maintain scripts on your accounts, you MUST keep them current.

Google loves our IP space. This is a GREAT thing. But does lead to more traffic to your sites.

Bottom line is.

2.X.X VB is old and easily hacked.

Bill

Makes sense to me. TotalChoice sites are googled more frequently than any other web host I've been with. So your site is probably more visible now. :clapping:

Nah, my site always got indexed regularlly by numerous engines. In fact, the link that seems to have started it all came from a yahoo search.