.us Domains Lose Their Privacy Rights

D.Slatk

Your Privacy at Stake: Decision Made to Disallow Private Registrations for .US Domain Names

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration ("NTIA") (http://www.ntia.doc.gov/), the telecommunications and Internet arm of the Department of Commerce, has disallowed private registrations for .US domain names.

This unfortunate decision was made by the NTIA, without a hearing or an opportunity for a response by those affected -- in fact; there was no due process of any kind. It's ironic that the NTIA has taken away our first amendment rights to privacy for the one domain name (.US) that is specifically intended for Americans. These bureaucrats stripped away the privacy that you're entitled to as an American; on the only domain name that says that you are an American.

more at http://www.thedangerofnoprivacy.com/

Also a radio show was aired about it too, by godaddy.com. o.o http://www.bobparsons.com/ (godaddy.com's founder's website)

:\ I am thankful I don't have a .us domain name... I don't want phone calls from any of my online acquaintences. One of the large services offering "private registration" is domains by proxy ( http://www.domainsbyproxy.com/LegalAgreement.aspx ). If you look up a domain name that's been passed through that service you'll see their information in place of where yours would be. A whois domain lookup shows details such as your home address, telephone numbers, emails, etc.

Only .US domains are affected, because I believe it is the only top level domain (TLD) that the U.S. government has authority over.

This is not really news - .US domains were never allowed to be registered by proxy. TCH's domain registration agreement even contains the clause that bans them:

22. provisions specific to .US registrations

.US Registration Restrictions

Further, You acknowledge and agree that You are not permitted to purchase private or proxy .US registrations. You shall register for any and all .US registrations using Your personal information, which information You represent and warrant is current, accurate and complete.

The only reason people are surprised by sudden enforcement of this provision is because they didn't read the fine print.

Not true David. When you purchase a .us domain through GoDaddy (at least when you did) there was an option to keep your personal information private (for a fee).

My wife's domain was purchased that way and when you did a whois on the domain there was no address or telephone number disclosed. Now it is.

That is what the complaint is over (I believe). I agree that you must (should) furnish valid information and I am not opposed to the authorities getting access to that information if needed..

Now if GoDaddy wasn't allow to offer the private registration then they are the ones at fault.

Now if GoDaddy wasn't allow to offer the private registration then they are the ones at fault.

That's exactly the problem. From what I've read, GoDaddy has been doing this for at least three years, and they thought it was okay since nobody ordered them to stop.

I believe it remains private until your domain renewal comes rolling around... I also remember something about all domains HAVE to be unprivate by February, but I could be wrong on the month of that or just entirely.

So unless I'm mistaken, it goes public when your domain renews or February, whichever one comes first.

This is what Bob Parsons (godaddy) said about the issue on is web blog HERE

Yesterday, GoDaddy.com, to avoid being de-credited, discontinued offering private .US domain name registrations.

Existing private .US registrations owners will have to decide between losing their domain or making their personal information public.

GoDaddy.com will also notify its customer base next week, that those who have purchased private .US registrations will have to make a choice by January 26, 2006. They will have to decide between having their personal information made public, or, canceling their domain name(s).

I agree Bruce. But, customers did get their personal info kept private for awhile it sounds like. So maybe a pro-rated amount.

Or an extension of the domain name for the prorated amount. :)

Well, some people might want to change domain extensions if they aren't allowed to keep their information private; so maybe what GoDaddy should offer is a credit for the pro-rated amount that could be used on any domain registration in your account.