Cpanel Bug - Phpbb Installation

TCH-Andy

There is currently a major problem in cpanel, with the phpBB installation script.

If you try installing phpBB (php bulletin board) via cpanel it will not work. Worse, if you have an existing version of phpBB installed via cpanel, then this can become corrupted when you install the new version (even if in completely separate subdomains or directories of your account).

This isssue is being worked on by cPanel, and we will post here when the issue has been fixed.

For the near term, if you wish to install a version of phpBB please download and install a copy manually - not via cpanel.

I'd recommend that people always download scripts from the official site fo the script as, from what I have read in these forums, cPanel appears to offer out of date versions and are slow to update. Someone said the phpBB cPanel installs is 2.0.11 where as the official version is 2.0.13 due to upgrades to fix security issues.

I am the one that was the lucky guy to find the cPanel phpBB install bug. Lucky me! :)

Yep, cPanel is providing 2.0.11 and 2.0.13 is the current version.

I use cPanel's install to help me set up the "config.php" file and the MySQl database, what can I say I'm lazy. It takes less then a minute to set everything up with Cpanel.

I don't recommend using cPanel to make any upgrades to phpBB, it is easier to do them by hand in most cases. Plus if you have installed MODs, the upgrade with cPanel doesn't play nicely with them.

No excuse for laziness installing phpBB manually is THE best way to go. cPanel's install is out of date by two revisions and man does it have a critical exploit so it's highly recommended if you just from now on download the files from the main phpBB site. The newest version has version checking built in so I doubt you would miss a new release next time one is issued.

• 1 month later...

Unless I'm mistaken, TCH is at the mercy of cPanel. Whenever cPanel updates the version, TCH will. As stated earlier in this thread, the best (and maybe safest) way to go is to install and/or upgrade yourself. That way you have the latest version.

Unless I'm mistaken, TCH is at the mercy of cPanel.  Whenever cPanel updates the version, TCH will.  As stated earlier in this thread, the best (and maybe safest) way to go is to install and/or upgrade yourself.  That way you have the latest version.

Trust me, I am never going to use cPanel again for something I can do myself. Plus, upgrading my phpBB forums with cPanel would do me more harm then good with the MODs I have installed. I am just shocked that something as dangerous as this doesn't seem to be taken to seriously. A thread that is older then 30 days unless one knew it existed would easily be missed, acting as the warning of this bug isn't really an effective form of communication.

The last time I submitted a ticket to the helpdesk that related to phpBB and cPanel my forum got erased.  I think I'll pass for now.

I remember that. The new version of phpBB is in the new version of cPanel that is currently being updated on the servers. Some servers have still not been updated.

cPanel pushes out the updates so opening a help desk ticket at this point won't help.

I'm on UK 1 and the version cPanel tries to install is 2.0.11 way outdated. I never used cPanel to install my scripts always did those things myself just letting you know however that that server still isn't updated yet.

Yes its better to install your self.

Keep notes on what you did and the database settings,

and it will help with the next script.

After editing the configs I like to zip it all back up and upload it with file manager to extract it in the desired folder. Its much faster than using ftp to transfer one file at a time.

Without having come here to read this thread first, I installed PHPBB this morning -- through CPanel. (It was a spur of the moment thing -- the group of people with whom I'll be taking a mission trip to Africa later this year needed a way to communicate.)

Seems to be working fine.