Accessing Ftp With a browser?

Hi,

I've tried to find the answer to this via the forum search feature but I get an error everytime I try to access any of the search results. So sorry if I'm covering some well-trod gound. Here goes:

I've had several people experience intermittant problems accessing my FTP site via Internet Explorer. It seems to work for some but not for others. The difficulty takes on 2 forms - 1. No access at all and 2. They can see the folders and files but can't access them.

File permissions are set at 755.

I have no problems accessing the site using an FTP client - it's only with IE/Windows Explorer.

Suggesting that anyone who tries to access the site download Filezilla isn't an option.

I've already submitted a ticket but they don't seem to see a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I wish you luck making it work consistently with Internet Explorer. Sorry can't offer any help here. I have had limited success trying to help others do the same thing.

What is it you are wanting to do and maybe we can offer an alternative solution.

What is it you are wanting to do and maybe we can offer an alternative solution.

I've set up an FTP account through cpanel which I use to distribute largish files to vendors. Pretty straight forward use of FTP.

I give them the login and password where upon I'll get a phone call asking for help. I make sure that they have the user name and password typed correctly which either fixes the problem, or doesn't.

It might be a problem localized to older versions of Windows. All the problems I've encountered so far have been on Win2000 or earlier.

I was hoping you all had seen this before and that it was perhaps a setting or permsion that I was missing.

I'll send you both a private message with the login. Thanks

I just tried to ftp to my account with IE (on win2000) and it did not work. Just a blank screen, no folders or anything.

I tried it a second time just to make sure and IE completely FREAKED out on me, opening about 50 blank windows and still going before I just shut the system down.

Thank goodness for Firefox. ;)

You said that having them install Filezilla isn't an option, and I don't know what exactly you need. But take a look at this file management software http://www.invisionfilemanager.com/

Its free and made by the same people that make Invision Power Board (TCH's forum software). I installed it (this was over a year ago) and remember it to be pretty easy to use and customize the look of.

There's probably other file management software out there too.

HTH!

is it not a option to give the people a true FTP client?

Sometimes the solution to a problem is removing the actual problem. It is my view that the TCH server is not the problem here, but the use of a HTML browser to view FTP.

I would suggest giving these people access to a true FTP Client.

is it not a option to give the people a true FTP client?

Sometimes the solution to a problem is removing the actual problem.  It is my view that the TCH server is not the problem here, but the use of a HTML browser to view FTP.

I would suggest giving these people access to a true FTP Client.

I always suggest they download Filezilla but weather they listen or not varies. Many times they're on a network and may not have the necessary permissions to install new software. Other times, they download items from an FTP site a few times a year so having a specific program for downloading seems excessive to them.

I only know enough about FTP to make it work. I've used IE in the past to download from other sites. Is there no way to configure the server to make it more Windows friendly?

Its not a server issue.

This has been a problem with IE for years.

If not too many files

why not an index page with links in a folder

not linked to on the site, but by e-mail

so they can just download?

Or password protect the folder,

then thay can see the files and select one to save when they login.

IE is a pain to use for ftp,

as mentioned, it works today and not tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this thread but I had this problem pop up in January with a client whom I had referred to TCH last year.

They had always accessed their site via FTP using IE but in January couldn't get it to work. The solution I found for them was to specify the username in the address.

ie "f tp://username@ftp. mydomain. com"

(the spaces were only added to prevent the forum from creating a real link, don't use spaces)

Has worked for them ever since. I thought maybe TCH had changed something to do with anonymous access but obviously not, none the less hopefully this helps someone.

Cheers :sleepy: