Cable Router And Wireless Pc Card

oops

I have a cable connection now and I am trying to set up a wireless connection so that after I have sugery I won't have wires running all over the house. I will be using 2 desk top pcs running windows xp sp2.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which would be the easy way to go about this and will I need to get two PCI cards?

Neither system has an ethernet card if that makes any difference. The cable modem that I am using is a usb cable modem.

I have been looking online and I am just getting more confused and frustrated the more I try to figure it all out.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

First, welcome to the forums. I'm sure others will chime in with their $.02, but here's mine:

First for your desktop, there is a Wireless USB adapter available from Netgear. (I saw it recently at a BestBuy.) So that may be an easy solution there.

I'm assuming that the cable modem plugs into the USB port on one of your desktops. If that's the case, you may have to get another modem and a router combination that will work with your ISP. There are several types out there...it just depends on compatibility. Generally speaking, if you talk with some of your local computer dealers, they should provide you with some insight for your specific needs.

I know it seems like it's very confusing, but the more you talk with people (and research on your own - do a google search), the more you'll be able to understand how it all works.

Hi oops, wireless networking has gotten very easy and very cheap and as far as I am concerned there are no clear winners or "best products" out there. Look around, fine the best price you can and get it.

Basically what you need is a Wireless Router and a wireless card for each computer you want to connect to the Network. The latest is Wireless "G", or 802.11G and this is what I would suggest you get. You could go for 802.11A or B but these are older protocols, but they will work and may be cheaper if money is an issue.

Good luck.

Thanks for all of your input on my dilemma. I am still trying to get it all figured out. I did go to one retailer which I won't mention any names but they seemed to be more interested in asking me out then helping me solve my dilemma, but I am not giving up. If you can give me anymore suggestions please feel free to do so!

Thanks so much!!!

I do own the usb modem that I am using now. :goof:

Thanks for the video links! I will watch them and I am sure they will help me out in some way.

One more question though.

If I get another cable modem and I put a splitter on the main cable and run it to both modems will my provider pick up the second modem or will I need to call them and set up a second connection? The reason I am asking is I was told I would need a second cable modem and if I do need one then I would just hook it up without going wireless as long as I don't need to call for a second hook up.

I personally wouldn't go through the added expense of another cable modem. (IMHO...it's just one more thing the cable companies make you THINK you HAVE to have!) I'd simply purchase a wireless hub that also has "hardwire" connections for it. Then you can use either wireless or anything that requires a CAT-5 cable. There are several brands, models, and prices available.

oops, There are probably several ways to accomplish what you want to do, some are more involved than others and some will involve more expense. At this point I don't have enough information to lead you down the correct path. I think what you need is someone who knows how to setup a network and be there at the equipment to get you connected.

From what I have read so far your problem stems from the USB "ONLY" cable modem and the inability to connect to a router which will allow you access to the internet on multiple computers.

To accomplish this you can setup one of the PC's as an internet "gateway" and get proxy software to share the connection across the network. Or you can configure ICS on the computers to share it. Or get a cable modem which uses ethernet instead of USB.

Bottom line I believe is to get a tech to come in and set you up.

My modem isn't usb only. It is a motorola surfboard SB4220. The reason it is hooked up through a usb port is this computer doesn't have an ethernet card.

That makes more sense. You should be able to just go to Best Buy, buy a wireless router and two wireless cards (or two ethernet cards if you want to wire), plug it all in and voila. This stuff is very beginner-friendly these days.

Check the ads in your Sunday paper for rebates and sales. A few weeks ago a D-Link Wireless-G router could be had for $20.

Okay I have the option of purchasing the following wireless adapter for $21.00 and I would like any advice on it you can give me on it and what else I would need to go with it if you think it is a good deal.

Features and Benefits

NETGEAR’s WG121 54 Mbps Wireless 802.11g/b USB 2.0 Network Adapter enables 54 Mbps wireless Internet access to either your desktop or notebook PC. New antenna technology delivers greater range so you can move extended distances without losing your connection. Setup is now made quick and easy with a new Smart Wizard install assistant. High-level WEP encryption shields your network from wireless eavesdroppers without sacrificing performance. The WG121 features a USB 2.0 interface that is up to 40 times faster than USB 1.1, allowing you to realize full 54 Mbps speed.

Netgear WG121 802.11g USB 2.0 Wireless Network

Features:

·Small, portable design works great for desktops and laptops

·Compatible with both 802.11g and 802.11b

·Fast 54 Mbps wireless transfer rate

·64/128 bit WEP Encryption keeps your data secure

·Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Interface

System Requirements:

·Windows 98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP

·Available USB 2.0 Port

Package Includes:

·NETGEAR WG121 USB Network Adapter

·USB Cable

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I am assuming that is just an adapter and not a router so I will still need to get a router and another adapter right? Now I can purchase 2 of the perviously mentioned adapters so maybe I should do that? I so appreciate your help...to get a tech to come out would cost me BIG $$$ since I live out in a rural community, and there are none out where I live.

Okay I have the option of purchasing the following wireless adapter for $21.00 and I would like any advice on it you can give me on it and what else I would need to go with it if you think it is a good deal.

What this gives you is "Internet Access" ONLY. If you want true Network access with file and print sharing this is not the way to go. This allows you to connect your current USB Cable connection and share it once you have made the other PC's wireless. If you are going wireless go all the way.

Replace your current USB cable on the Cable modem and get an ethernet cable. Then get a wireless router and two wireless cards for the PC's and your whole network is a real network now. You can share Internet, share files and share printers.

Since you don't want wires (which WOULD be the best method), here's my advice. A little more expense, but IMO worth it in the long run.

You'll need

Router, most have a built in switch as well, get no less than 4 ports!

Wireless Access Point

1 wireless PCI card

1 wired PCI card

Since we know your modem is already near one of the machines, you can wire it to the router, performance WILL be better, and use the wireless card for the other machine.

This will give you internet access on either machine, regardless if one or the other is on, as well as file sharing.

If you want to share a printer the same way, you'll need a print server as well (or a network capable printer).

Though it may be cheaper at first, I think it's never a good idea to combine hardware if you don't have to.

This setup will do everything you want it do it, and let you upgrade/expand in the future without having to by any more hardware.

If you want to share a printer the same way, you'll need a print server as well (or a network capable printer).

You don't need a print server. With the Network setup with everything going thru the Router, alls that is needed is to install file and print sharing and then share the printer.

And why a wireless access point? The router should come with a WAN port.

Minimum needed is a router, two cards and an ethernet cable or two.

Edited by Madmanmcp

Okay what I have got so far...I just purchased a Netgear WGR614 802.11g WirelessRouter&4-Port Switch.

So now I need to get cards for both computers. Do I need to get netgear cards or will any brand work?

I do not need to share printers on these computers as both of them have printers hooked to them.

Okay what I have got so far...I just purchased a Netgear WGR614 802.11g WirelessRouter&4-Port Switch.

So now I need to get cards for both computers.  Do I need to get netgear cards or will any brand work?

I do not need to share printers on these computers as both of them have printers hooked to them.

Any brand will work, just make sure they are 802.11g if they are wireless.

You don't need a print server. With the Network setup with everything going thru the Router, alls that is needed is to install file and print sharing and then share the printer.

And why a wireless access point? The router should come with a WAN port.

Minimum needed is a router, two cards and an ethernet cable or two.

A print server would be needed to access the printer regardless of the on state of the other machine, otherwise the machine with the printer would have to be on in order to print (I'm sure you know this, but it's the same reason for getting a router and not using ICS).

A WAP would be needed so that you don't buy a wireless/router combo (see my comment on not combining hardware when possible).

Ultimately it depends on each situation and budget. Given the option, I'd use individual hardware components over combos any day of the week.

Just a matter of personal preference.

Do I need a wireless access point?

Sounds like there are many options when setting up a network. Good info! My question is, and this may be moved to another topic if appropriate is......I bought a cable modem (RCA) over 5 years ago I think when we first got cable access and am wondering if technology has advanced in cable modems to warrent a new one. It certainly works well and my downstream throughput is 2327 Kbps at last check. Any thought? If it isn't broke don't fix it?

Thanks,

Woody

Sounds like there are many options when setting up a network. Good info! My question is, and this may be moved to another topic if appropriate is......I bought a cable modem (RCA) over 5 years ago I think when we first got cable access and am wondering if technology has advanced in cable modems to warrent a new one. It certainly works well and my downstream throughput is 2327 Kbps at last check. Any thought? If it isn't broke don't fix it?

Thanks,

Woody

That's my vote.

Do both cards have to be wireless? Or which is the best way to go with this....

Okay so now I am looking to purchase a regular network card and a wireless 802.11 g wireless card and then I am ready for the setup.

You guys are so great. If you all were closer I would make you dinner or something for helping me out so much just to show you how much I appreciate it! :thumbup:

Thanks for the reminder about the cables or I would have had a serious blonde moment and forgotten them! :wallbash:

• 2 weeks later...

Before you go on, I can give you few pointers.

Most likely, your cable modem will have an ethernet port. Look at the modem, and see if there is a jack that looks like telephone. Easy test is to take a telephone cable, and plug it in. It should fit, but very loose. Don't worry, it won't break it.

2 suggestions based on your answers:

If no then:

Follow what people have said but...

If Yes (I have the port), then

1. Do not go buy ethernet card and start internet sharing. because

a. It requires 1 pc to be up at all times

b. Your pc becomes vulnerable to attacks.

c. Nightmare with firewall configurations, sharing and so foth.

2. All you have to do is buy a wifi ethernet card/router combo. They are often sold in the kits. Don't worry about setup as most of them come with a big fold out sheets that show you how to connect everything.

3. Follow the instructions as told but you need to continue.

4. Make sure you setup a WEP (security). This will encrypt your data. Any kid with a $20 card can

a. hijack your router.

b. hop on your network and start causing havoc.

b. Packet sniff your network and see what you are doing

- So read the instruction and setup a WEP (64 bit or 128 bit is both OK. Both of them can be broken with decent effort but it'll make them earn it.).

5. Plug your pc into the router. (You do not need to buy an ethernet cable as the kit should have one for the router to cable modem already).

In most cases, it will take you 15 mins to do everything.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
:) Woo Hoo I am finally wireless and it was basically painless! It was so easy to get doen once I got everything together and stoppedworrying and just installed everything. Now I am wirelss and and gone through surgety and things are good. Tahnsk for all You advice!!!!! :huh: