Phpbb Tranfer...and Ideas?

gorriedt

Hey Everyone,

First off sorry for the bad spelling in the title (and post probably)...just woke up!

Well, another day, another problem! As always thanks to all that help me out with my odd questions all the time!

I have a new client that (of course) is switching their hosting over to TCH (I think I'm up to around 10 people who have "made the switch" now!!!), and they want to keep they're old phpbb board exactly the way it is. I know I can backup/restore the database but they are running the old version of the board, i've set up a test board at my site to see if I could transfer it all from a backup of their old board and I just get a timeout error (I think). I don't think the GZip version of the backup is quite working right either...because it says it uploads the file but nothing changes.

It also says "GZip" disabled when you first login to the new version of PHPBB, so I'm guessing that's why!

Is it possible that the database can be restored by sending the sql database to tech support? I've also tried to restore phpbb with myphpAdmin with fairly little sucess (strange issues appeared forever!). I took a look at the database structures and they seem similar...but they are big files (3MB of sql is a little drab to look at!).

I just didn't know if anyone had any thoughts! Thanks!

Dave :dance:

Edited by gorriedt

not sure if the two different versions will be the same (table wise etc.) You can upload the backup database to the site and submit a support ticket and see if the techs can import the backup into the new forums.

What I would suggest if possible, is to upgrade the current phpbb on the other host to 2.0.11 and then create a backup of it, that way all the tables and everything match and the import should work

Hey Everyone,

First off sorry for the bad spelling in the title (and post probably)...just woke up!

Well, another day, another problem!  As always thanks to all that help me out with my odd questions all the time!

I have a new client that (of course) is switching their hosting over to TCH (I think I'm up to around 10 people who have "made the switch" now!!!), and they want to keep they're old phpbb board exactly the way it is.  I know I can backup/restore the database but they are running the old version of the board,  i've set up a test board at my site to see if I could transfer it all from a backup of their old board and I just get a timeout error (I think).  I don't think the GZip version of the backup is quite working right either...because it says it uploads the file but nothing changes.

It also says "GZip" disabled when you first login to the new version of PHPBB, so I'm guessing that's why!

Is it possible that the database can be restored by sending the sql database to tech support?  I've also tried to restore phpbb with myphpAdmin with fairly little sucess (strange issues appeared forever!).  I took a look at the database structures and they seem similar...but they are big files (3MB of sql is a little drab to look at!).

I just didn't know if anyone had any thoughts!  Thanks!

Dave :D

Problem is anything over 2mb in size needs to be broken into smaller chunks. Did you get it figured out yet? If not let me know.

Ok. You gotta be carefull when you do such transfers. If there are not many "hacks" installed on their board, here what I would do:

- Backup the database the phpBB utility

- Install 2.0.6 on the new server

- Upload the database

- Use the upgrade tools found on phpbb.com to update to the latest version

I did this a couple of times and it works great. Good luck!

As stated above MySQL backups need to be restored in small chunks. I was backing up IPB forums recently and the skins table alone was 4MB so really tied the server up. The database for 2.0.6 should be the same as the one in the current version of 2.0.13 but if it's not there will be an update script in the OFFICIAL release from phpBB site. As I stated in another thread avoid using scripts that cPanel offers as they are usually out of date and/or edited from their original form.

Hey All,

Thanks for the tips! I wound up just getting a support ticket and posting the file on my server. It worked great, really wish I would have figured it out before! The best way was just to upgrade the old board to the new version, fairly painless!

The only painful thing was realizing the DNS info was wonky for the first 48 hours, so one person would see the new site one minute, the next it would see the old site! Made those for fans of the band a little confused I'd say!

Thanks again!

-Dave