Error Logs And Access Problems

A couple questions--

I have some password protected directories, and bots are trying to index it (I'm working on a robots.txt to keep at least the legitimate bots away from there). When they try accessing, they're getting 301 errors; I would have expected 401. Any ideas why they'd get 301 instead? I'm just using the CPanel directory protection, nothing fancy.

Is there a way to fake a favicon.ico file? Not having one is clogging up my error logs, and last time I checked the online ico generators they were down and/or charging. I'm not that interested in an actual ico file, but I do want the errors to disappear.

And I have a friend swearing she can't access my site. She didn't say if she was getting error pages or just not connecting, but when I checked the raw logs it looks like her last visit was March 3, and that visit was normal. Since then, nothing for her IP address--so I assume she isn't connecting to the site at all, even to generate error pages. I think it's her ISP, because I can access just fine, but if anyone has a second can you tell me if http://millertarized.com and http://millertarized.com/blog/ are visible to you?

Thanks!

Thanks for checking--I'll tell her to call her ISP and sort it out with them. Good info on the .ico images too--that's easy enough to do!

I'd still be interested in the 301/401 error thing if anyone has any ideas. It doesn't affect anything, it's just my curisoity and wanting to understand how things work.

Thanks again!

I've never tried renaming a 16x16 .bmp file to .ico to make an icon - I thought that the file formats were different, so renaming would not be sufficient. I use the free IrfanView program to open the image I want to convert and do a "Save As" to save the image as a .ico file.

On the 301/401 errors: 301 is a "Moved Permanently" error message. Have you reorganized your site and moved parts of it, then used a redirect to indicate the new location of your content? These can be set up in the "Redirects" app in your CPanel - creating a "Permanent" redirect would cause a 301 error to show up in your error logs when a user (or a bot) tries to access the old URL. You might take a look at the Redirects in your CPanel and see if anything has been set up there.

I've never tried renaming a 16x16 .bmp file to .ico to make an icon - I thought that the file formats were different, so renaming would not be sufficient.

I remember doing this a long time ago and that's all I did. I was confused on how simple the process was ... but it is so simple! :D I am thankful for the simple things!

On the 301/401 errors:  301 is a "Moved Permanently" error message.  Have you reorganized your site and moved parts of it, then used a redirect to indicate the new location of your content?  These can be set up in the "Redirects" app in your CPanel - creating a "Permanent" redirect would cause a 301 error to show up in your error logs when a user (or a bot) tries to access the old URL.  You might take a look at the Redirects in your CPanel and see if anything has been set up there.

I double checked, but there's nothing in the .htaccess related to the protected directories. And if I access the protected directories, I can log in and get to the pages and/or not log in and get the expected 401 error. So it looks like it's just the bots getting 301. I rechecked the logs, and it looks like the 301 error is followed by a request to get 401.shtml. I guess they are getting the 401 error... eventually, anyway. Maybe something to do with the bots being set up to index the "not authorized" page instead of the page they can't access? Intesting.

I've never tried renaming a 16x16 .bmp file to .ico to make an icon - I thought that the file formats were different, so renaming would not be sufficient.  I use the free IrfanView program to open the image I want to convert and do a "Save As" to save the image as a .ico file.

Being that Micro$oft was the one that started using silly favicon thing this was how they told people to create it eons ago. But I too do as you do David using IrfanView and doing a Save As.

I was just trying to keep it simple. :D