Installing Gallery

KevinW

On my "to do" list for several weeks now, I've had marked to install the Gallery Photo Project, a PHP based photo album interface for my wife's web site.

Well it actually took me three attempts over two evenings to finally get it up and running to where I could post any pictures at all! I must have run the configure.php script a dozen times. Finally a light dawned on me (duhh!) and realized some important little tidbits that were required. Their instructions assume you know already know there software!

Anyway, this is merely a heads up that if you are interested in installing Gallery yourself, perhaps by this weekend I will have updated the TCH Help Web Site with more straightforward instructions!

Take a look at my first attempt -- some photos from last year's vacation --

Gallery example

-kw

You can see my first trial, posting some quick photos of our vacation last year.

I really like Gallery but found the installation docs a bit sparse. I looked around their website and forums and got things running but it took a while the first time I installed. It would be good to have help notes on the TCH Help page. I personally prefer Gallery over Coppermine but found Coppermine much easier to install.

My photo page is found here.

Yes, I will be writing some detail instructions, since I did this as a test prior to installing it for one of my customers. My wife's web site is always the guniea pig for my testing!

Actually, once you do understand "what" they want, and how to enter it, it's not bad - but I felt like a computer virgin trying to make this work instead of someone who's been doing this for 30 years!

-kw

I've installed gallery, but not with TCH. I'm waiting on my welcome email. Gallery gets even tricker when you want to run multiple galleries.

ONe site that I will be moving to TCH is littlebaby.org. I've got 4 galleries going there and I hope I don't have to reinstall. I hope I can just copy over the files.

Hmmm... I don't remember having any trouble installing it, nor do I remember a friend reporting any trouble installing it.

I tried a number of different programs. I found that I like the owners user interface the best on gallery, but the visitors user interface is better on some of the others I tried. My biggest complaint with gallery is the tiny font sizes!!!

I also wish there was a way to view the comments for all albums at once.

My Gallery.

Sorry -- I didn't catch it myself until this evening.

BTW, to be able to reruyn your Gallery config, do the following:

1. Change permission for 'setup' directory to 777, and permission for .htaccess and config.php to 777

2. Then open your browser to www.mysite.com/gallery/setup, and go to the 2nd setup page, and change graphics module to ImageMagick.

3. Proceed to complete and save your configuration, until you get to the screen warning you to make sure you secure Gallery.

4. Then change permission on setup directory back to 0, and permission for .htaccess and config.php back to 644

I will add this information shortly to the TCH Help Web Site.

-kw

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
OK, I've posted my "attempt" at trying to describe how to install Gallery.  I tried to perform each step as I wrote it.  As you can see, it does take some effort.

To take a look at it -- click here -- and then click on 'Gallery'

-kw

Your directions are great!!! I was wondering if you could tell me where you installed ImageMagick? The config wizard needs a path for I Magick.

Thanks.

Nilesh

• 4 weeks later...

Weezy and Thomas, be carefull, that's the new Gallery 2.0, which is still in Alpha stage and unless they changed their minds, they are not going to provide an easy (if at all possible) upgrade path from the alpha versions to the beta or final versions.

That means if you install the Alpha version now, you may risk beign stuck with it even when the beta and final versions come out (unless you feel like doing a tiny bit of manual database hacking :1eye:)

I can't remember where I saw this, I believe it was in the README file that comes with the package, or perhaps it was in the site... anyway, think about it

Weezy, you could try Coppermine or you could try to fix Gallery :pissed:

Read the instalation instructions to find out which permissions you need to set for each directory. And also check to see if you have every directory where it should be (in accordance with the config file).

ImageMagick path is

/usr/local/bin

Hi Don,

I added this entry into the path but when I ran "check_imagemagick.php", it came back and told me:

"Note: Your ImageMagick directory (/usr/local/bin) is not in your open_basedir list

/home/osnysbrk/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/sqmail/:/tmp

The open_basedir list is specified in php.ini.

The result is, that we can't perform all of our basic checks on the files to make sure that they exist and they're executable."

What did I miss?

-Dave

PHP has been recently upgraded to the latest stable version in the server and some PHP functions are not working as before in this version. It looks like the PHP group has deprecated these functions to close some security holes. This has affected a lot of scripts and updated versions of these scripts are available from the vendors. Your issue looks to be related to a function they use to find a binary.

ImageMagick binaries are present under /usr/local/bin/ directory. You can safely ignore this warning and install the software. Please get back to me with the example links if you experience any issues after the installation. Alternatively, you can search for an updated version of the gallery software.

I guess I wasn't clear enough when I asked. I think it was assumed I installed Imagemagick. :)