Mysql Terminal Monitor

dkotchen

I've just started using MySQL, but I'm not a big fan of graphical user interfaces like phpMyAdmin. As I'm learning MySQL, I'd rather use the command prompt. A book I'm referencing says the following:

"When MySQL is installed, a simple, text-based program called mysql (or sometimes the "terminal monitor" or the "monitor") is also installed...."

How can we access and use the mysql client?

As I understand things we don't have access to any command prompt. Instead, the PHPMyAdmin interface is provided.

I run a Linux server on my end and have used the command prompt interface. But that interface takes much longer to accomplish things than through the PHPMA interface. Because of this I installed PHPMA on my own Linux box so I could accomplish things more quickly.

This is my experience. Hope if was helpful.

Edited by HCSuperStores

Along a similar vein-- Is it possible to use YourSQL or NavCat instead of PHP MyAdmin? I prefer them because there's more flexibility in queries and they seem to run faster for me. If it is possible, what would the server address be? I assume the user name and password would be the general CPanel user name and password?

Or are we blocked from using them because of the way CPanel and MyAdmin are set up?

To answer my own question, yes it's possible to use YourSQL.

This thread helped out--

After adding my home machine as a valid user to the database (through CPanel), I was able to connect using example.com as the server, specifying the database I wanted to connect to, and using the right username/password for the database, not CPanel.

So, yeah, next time I'll research before I ask a question that's already been answered... !

dkotchen, you might find YourSQL or NavCat a little more flexible in terms of dealing with the data. They're still GUI, but it's a little easier to customize things.

How can we access and use the mysql client?

Technically, any program you use to connect to and access the MySQL server is a MySQL client - whether it is a MySQL command window, phpMyAdmin, or some other GUI program.

I've just started using MySQL, but I'm not a big fan of graphical user interfaces like phpMyAdmin. As I'm learning MySQL, I'd rather use the command prompt. A book I'm referencing says the following:

"When MySQL is installed, a simple, text-based program called mysql (or sometimes the "terminal monitor" or the "monitor") is also installed...."

That program is installed along with the MySQL server. There may be a copy of it on TCH's MySQL servers, but you would not be able to run and use it. If you really wanted to use the MySQL "terminal monitor", you'd need to download and install the MySQL server software locally - then you'd have a copy of the MySQL terminal monitor program. (The MySQL terminal monitor, which is a MySQL client application, needs to be on *your* machine - not on TCH's servers.)

Once you have the MySQL terminal monitor program installed locally, it is possible to use it to connect to TCH's MySQL servers and execute queries from a MySQL prompt.

As owatagal discovered, in order to use a MySQL client other than phpMyAdmin, you need to grant your home computer permission to connect to the MySQL server in CPanel / MySQL Databases, under "Access Hosts".

Hope this helps...