Reseller Questions

MellyBelly

I'm considering buying a reseller account here in order to make it easier to maintain my multiple sites. I already have hosting for one of my domains but I have a few reseller questions since I've never had a reseller account before.

1. Do you take yearly payments or just monthy? If it is just monthly and I pay by credit card, is it billed at the same time each month? I've always paid yearly so I am not sure how the monthly thing works out.

2. Will my main website take away from the space provided on my reseller account? Or does my main website have it's own space plus my reseller space? (I saw something like that on another host and wasn't sure if that was how it went here).

3. I currently have a website/domain name up and running for free with Netrillium after their merger with Pinchpenny didn't go as planned. My domain name was renewed for another year already too. If I want to use that same domain as my reseller account, can I just save and upload everything to my new reseller account?

I think that is about it.

Hey ... it's possible that I might give you a few answers ...

1. Do you take yearly payments or just monthy? If it is just monthly and I pay by credit card, is it billed at the same time each month? I've always paid yearly so I am not sure how the monthly thing works out.
I think if you want to pay up front for a year, they will accept your payment. In the past, they have offered a free month if you do so. Not sure if that is true now, but I think it is. <<== Guess I'm not right on this one. Whoops! Sorry!

2. Will my main website take away from the space provided on my reseller account? Or does my main website have it's own space plus my reseller space? (I saw something like that on another host and wasn't sure if that was how it went here).

You read right. You receive a "main" area for you to "set up shop" for your main company web area, equal to that of your reseller space. I assume that bandwidth is equal too.

3. I currently have a website/domain name up and running for free with Netrillium after their merger with Pinchpenny didn't go as planned. My domain name was renewed for another year already too. If I want to use that same domain as my reseller account, can I just save and upload everything to my new reseller account?

Honestly I got a little lost with your question. You can use any domain you wish, as long as you are pointing to the TCH servers with the correct DNS pointers/names. You can also set up whatever accounts that you wish as a reseller and point any domain to them too. It's about as flexible as it can be. Hopefully this answers your question.

Welcome to the family! :P

Edited by HCSuperStores

The payments are monthly, so no yearly discounts.

you will be billed at the same time each month.

No, your reseller space and your reseller domain are seperate.

Yes, just mention that domain name when you get the reseller account, but be sure you control the domain and can point the DNS to TCH

if have another account at TCH already, you will need to open a help desk ticket to billing to add the reseller account because your name is already in the TCH database.

And later when your reseller acount is set up you can ask the tech to move any other accounts into your reseller account.

If you have more questions, please ask :P

Thanks so much everyone :(

One more question. If I open the reseller account and want to move my forum hosting onto that reseller account, what happens since I didn't use the rest of the time/space for that hosting? I have my forum on the starter plan and I paid yearly. I opened that account sometime in September.

Thanks so much everyone :tchrocks:

One more question. If I open the reseller account and want to move my forum hosting onto that reseller account, what happens since I didn't use the rest of the time/space for that hosting? I have my forum on the starter plan and I paid yearly. I opened that account sometime in September.

If you upgrade an account to a reseller account,

I believe your current account is canceled and the unused portion is refunded.

then a new account is set up for monthly billing.

But Please open a help deck ticket to Billing to ask how this would affect you.

And if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post here :)

I hate to drag a dead horse here as I think I know the answer by now, but I'm considering moving to a reseller account and don't want to make a mistake. If I buy the Simple Resellers plan with 16GB transfer and 1GB space, that means I get 16GB transfer and 1GB space to sell, and then another 16GB transfer and 1GB space for my own site?

• 4 weeks later...

Also for reseller plans. Do you charge the people you are hosting? Meaning, if I am doing websites for people, do I charge them monthly as well for the hosting? And what would be a reasonable rate saying I went with the smallest level reseller plan.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by evanmc

evanmc, the reseller space is yours (once you pay TCH for it) to divide up into websites as you wish. You can charge customers whatever you want and on whatever interval (monthly, daily, annually, per decade) that you want. Billing and collecting is up to you.

I think there are many resellers (such as myself) who don't actually "resell" that space at all. I use mine to host websites for a lot of non-profits that I do websites for, and throw in "free" hosting for some small clients as well. On those, it really costs me nothing extra and eliminates any worries about wasting time dealing with some other hosting provider. One hour's worth of my development fees pays for two months of my entire reseller's bill from TCH, anyway. I find the biggest money-loser and time waster in the web development business is dealing with three-way disputes between the client, the developer, and a hosting firm.

For larger customers, I just get them to buy space direct from TCH. At least that way I know they're hosting someplace reliable.

Also for reseller plans.  Do you charge the people you are hosting?  Meaning, if I am doing websites for people, do I charge them monthly as well for the hosting?  And what would be a reasonable rate saying I went with the smallest level reseller plan.

Thanks in advance...

Hi there :)

I resell hosting to my customers. I bill them yearly when their domain, hosting, and update/promotion charges come due.

The reseller program is great here, esp the support!

Welcome to the forums!

Weezy

• 3 weeks later...

So I could advertise my services as doing a site for someone, and keeping the whole domain name purchase easier for them, just saying free hosting, and give me 3 options of domain names that they would want in order of most wanted to least that way I could just buy the domain name at the same time? I have been pondering over this, but spending $20/mo. and having no new clients would be an incentive for me to get more because of the FREE hosting offer for them.

Just trying to figure out a game plan for all of this. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Here are my sites to see what I can and cannot do: Milk Crate Graphics.com

thanks again...

I do the "free hosting thrown in with site design" deal myself for clients with smaller sites. Throwing in hosting for free (in reality you're just building the cost into what you charge for design, of course) also puts you in control of where and how their site is hosted. Since it's at good old reliable TCH and you control their hosting account, you eliminate 98% of the hassle of developing sites, which is dealing with whatever mangy, no-good webhost someone is using.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent fighting with lousy hosts that my clients were using. I've got most of them switched over to TCH now, either as resold accounts under me or with their own normal TCH accounts!

:)

I totally agree with you.

I am thankful that almost all of my clients have their domains with me and all of them but one host with me.

When a site is down that isn't hosted with me & I have to help the client with their host.. it is so frustrating!

The only problem I see with this free thing - you have to do it from the start of your web design business. If you decide to do it later you have to offer it to all of your previous clients as well.

Weezy

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a question for reselling here. I've noticed a lot of people that have a reseller account don't actually resell the space. I'm considering actually reselling it, and wanted to know how the "branding" works. Am I given "private" name servers, or would they simply be ns1.totalchoicehosting.com and ns2.totalchoicehosting.com. Just exploring some options here, I've got some servers at home and some friends willing to put up sites, however at this point it's cost prohibative to get the "business" internet services through my cable ISP. Thanks in advance for your answers! And if it matters much, I currently have an account here at TCH (I think I saw mention before that to open a reseller account, since I'm already an existing customer, I need to submit a helpdesk ticket). Thanks again!

Guest Serpentine

There are generic name servers if you do not go with those plans. Just ask when you get your account.

Another quick question regarding reseller hosting... currently I have the silver hosting plan. When I purchase a reseller account, would that be moved over? Also, I've read previously that you get an equal share of resources (ie if your reseller account has 3GB storage and 50GB transfer, you get the same amout for your site that is seperate of that). So I guess the large question of all that is, can I have multiple domains and sites for "my" resources (not the ones I'm reselling). Hopefully that is clear, as even I am having some problems reading it over. Thanks for your answers! :clapping:

If you get a reseller account with a new domain name

you can have the techs move your current account into your reseller account.

When moved it will have the same space and bandwidth as it now has.

So create a new package for it and then upgrade/downgrade it to use the new package, so it wont take up so much space.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm starting a web design firm and TCH's reseller hosting looks to be just the plan for me. This thread has answered a lot of my questions so far. Thanks everyone...

A few that are still outstanding:

How would email work for domains hosted under my reseller space? Do they have unlimited email accounts? Am I able to restrict the number of accounts they have available?

Same questions as above for FTP accounts?

Is there a demo of the Web Host Manager or some screen caps so I can get an idea of what I can and can't do?

I currently have silver hosting with TCH. Will a domain hosted under my reseller space essentially have the same features that I have with my silver account? If not, what are the differences?

If for some reason I were to no longer be able to continue with my business, what would happen to my client's hosting? Would they be able to convert to a TCH plan? How has TCH handled this type of situation in the past.

Thanks again, everyone...

How would email work for domains hosted under my reseller space? Do they have unlimited email accounts? Am I able to restrict the number of accounts they have available?
This is up to you. You can set them up to be unlimited or you can set limits.

Same questions as above for FTP accounts?

Same as email. You can set limits as you want.

Is there a demo of the Web Host Manager or some screen caps so I can get an idea of what I can and can't do?
The Reseller Support links on our Help Pages includes videos on using the WHM.

I currently have silver hosting with TCH. Will a domain hosted under my reseller space essentially have the same features that I have with my silver account? If not, what are the differences?

The features can be the same or you can set limits. You also control the disk space and bandwidth quotas.

If for some reason I were to no longer be able to continue with my business, what would happen to my client's hosting? Would they be able to convert to a TCH plan? How has TCH handled this type of situation in the past.

Yes, they would just need to purchase a plan. We can then move the account to the new plan.

In WHM ( web host manager)

you create your own plans with the amount of space, bandwidth

and number of databases, ftp and e-mail accounts.

You can also create a feature list to go with each plan to dissable any features you do not want them to have.