Question On Php/mysql Dev

runninghorse

I'm trying to teach myself some basic beginner php/mysql stuff and I'm looking through some tuts and so forth and have decided to download them to install on my local computer to play with. Now comes the noob question.... if I'm running a windoze setup on my computer, and of course tch is unix, will that make a difference when it's time to switch ov :thumbup1: er and start "really" playing? :thumbup1:

And another quick question:

Is the use of MySQL Administrator supported? It seems like a nice interface, but not sure if it's acceptable....

If you are running Windows on your computer it will not run PHP files natively. You will need to install something like apache web server and mySQL to make it work.

That said, it should work the same as here on the Linux servers.

As for the other question I will defer that to someone who may know.

Adding to what Bruce said: If you do install the Apache web server, you'll also need to download and install PHP. :thumbup1:

Is the use of MySQL Administrator supported? It seems like a nice interface, but not sure if it's acceptable....

Since it is a 3rd-party application, it is not "supported" in the sense that TCH will provide technical support for using the application (but you can ask questions here in the forums and get help if you get stuck on an issue).

Can you use MySQL Administrator to access your MySQL database on TCH's servers? Yes.

Would you want to use MySQL Administrator? I think the answer depends a lot on what you want to actually do. I have MySQL Administrator installed on my PC here at home, but I do not use it all.

Basically, MySQL Adminstrator is a tool for administering a MySQL server. Much of its functionality is disabled because 1) you will not have permission to perform various adminstrative functions in MySQL Administrator, and 2) as a remote user, MySQL Administrator does not allow a number of operations to be performed that are too costly in bandwidth and/or server resources (they can only be performed if the MySQL server is located on the same machine you're running MySQL Adminstrator on).

You can manipulate the tables and records in your database with it, but I would not use MySQL Administrator to do this - this functionality is somewhat buried in MySQL Administrator and is not really what this tool is designed to do. There are better tools available on the MySQL website for working your databases and tables (if you do not like using phpMyAdmin).

Hope this helps...

I'm trying to teach myself some basic beginner php/mysql stuff and I'm looking through some tuts and so forth and have decided to download them to install on my local computer to play with.  Now comes the noob question.... if I'm running a windoze setup on my computer, and of course tch is unix, will that make a difference when it's time to switch ov :) er and start "really" playing?  :eek:

Hi runninghorse - *generally* speaking, the biggest difference you will see between lin and win will come up if you are manipulating files or images.

Image manipulation with PHP is usually done using gdlib and/or imagemagick, which are considered fairly standard for webservers, but are not standard to a windows installtion.

Additionally, you may run into some glitches with file paths - so if you are creating applications, try to set the file paths in a variable that can be changed in a config file, so you don't have to change 300 pages of your script.

You *might* run into a few other quirks, but most of those will be addressed (and usually resolved) on the php.net homepage in the manual page comments.

Also, if you're looking for a windows executable DB manager and you don't want to use phpMyAdmin, you might try DB Designer: http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4/

Its a pretty snazzy program.

I installed XAMPP on my WinXP Pro machine so that I could test PHP scripts and run a test WordPress without having to "go live" and it works awesomely! It was super easy to set up, and it's super easy to start/stop the Apache and SQL servers. You should check it out if you want to learn PHP/MySQL in the comfort of your own machine.