Can Web Pages Be Uploaded Via An Http Interface?

dderolph

I assist another person in maintaining a church's music department web site. We are looking at changing hosting services. Although I would use ftp to upload pages, he would like to have the capability to use either ftp or http. Can that be done with TotalChoice hosting?

Welcome to our forums :)

yes you can use ftp.

if by http you mean use a browser as ftp for drag and drop, yes

or a web based script, yes

you also can also use your control panels filemanager (web based)

If this is not what you meant, please let us know what you had in mind.

Welcome to our forums  :yes:

yes you can use ftp.

if by http you mean use a browser as ftp for drag and drop, yes

or a web based script, yes

you also can also use your control panels filemanager (web based)

If this is not what you meant, please let us know what you had in mind.

Thanks for the quick response. If I understand you correctly, web pages can be uploaded without having ftp software installed on the client's computer via a browser window or the the control panel's filemanager. Is that correct?

See if the following instructions help.

h_tp://www.willamette.edu/wits/resources/docs/network/home/browserftp.htm

web pages can be uploaded without having ftp software installed on the client's computer via a browser window or the the control panel's filemanager. Is that correct?

yes.

Yes, but using a web browser to upload pages and files is doing it the hard way and does not always work in some browsers.

Generally it is only used in emergency's when you can't use ftp or get access to your cpanel. In cpanels file manager you can only upload 12 files at once and you have to browse to each. Not as convenient as ftp.

As you use ftp you already know how much easier it is.

Perhaps if you help your friend with a free ftp program like Core FTP Lite it will make it simpler to update.

if you have any questions, please ask.

We are like family here and love to help :yes:

I use the CPanel's File Manager (which is built-in on all TotalChoice accounts) to upload files via HTTP when I'm not on my own PC, mostly to make small changes or updates to a particular file. You can use it to upload files, or you can make changes to HTML or other text files right in your web browser.

So the answer to your question is "yes" you can and it's very easy and reasonably powerful.

thanks, matman. That's exactly what my co-webmaster wanted to know, and for the same reason. He wants to know if he could make updates to the site basically from any computer with an Internet connection. Now, I can tell him unequivocally that it can be done. It's a small site. The 12-file at a time limitation Don mentioned in post #5 is not a problem.

Edited by dderolph

I don't think I've ever uploaded even close to 12 files at a time using CPanel. Indeed, if that was your primary method upload and maintain your files it would be a hassle, but for uploading the occasional new image or for doing a quick mid-day update from work that can't wait until you get home to your main web-development machine it is great.

Another suggestion is if you are using Firefox 1.0 as your browser, there is an extension called FireFTP that absolutely rocks! It will open up in another tab and has a very intuitive GUI. It will do everything that a third party FTP app will do, and it's very handy to be able to switch tabs to refresh your site as you are uploading changes to it!

Edited by bizmo