dsdemmin

Managing E-mails - Advice

I can not believe I am alone with this recurring dilemma – Disk Usage Warning for an account because of poor e-mail management.

One of my accounts is a municipality and they have approx. 50 e-mail accounts. I have established policy with them to generally use POP3 accounts and not to leave messages on the server however, this continues to be an issue. At the present time 41.5 % of their disk space is occupied by e-mail. Individuals have 3-5 MB of mail in their boxes.

I also notice that some have multiple directories:

mail/here.com/accountname

mail/here.com/accountname/EmailQuotes

mail/here.com/accountname/inbox

mail/here.com/accountname/neomail-trash

mail/here.com/accountname/saved-messages

mail/here.com/accountname/sent-mail

mail/here.com/accountname/spam

Any recommendations on how to manage this would be greatly appreciated.

What about e-mail aging every account to 1 day?

Thank you for any input.

My advice ... give them more space and charge them for more.

People pretty much assume that e-mail is a no-brainer. Once it becomes an issue, and they feel it is something they can't just leave and forget it, then you become the pain in the rear (this is my experience).

If you are a reseller, you have done your job and warned them about leaving mail on the server. This costs you money, which in turn should cost them money. Let them have bad e-mail habbits if they wish, just charge them for it.

Just in case, examine a few accounts to be sure that this is not something you are jumping the gun on. See if there is old mail lingering, or maybe their needs are different (i.e. large attachments).

Good luck!

Bill

Hi Scott,

You could also force Spam Assassin to the trash at a fairly high value (7 or so?) which would get rid of the junk mail. If spam is a big contributor they'll probably like it (after the withdrawals from greeting cards and jokes online) and it should cut back on the usage as well.

Thanks Bill and Jim... you are right I should just charge but it is one of those things that I look at and say "Why they heck don't they get it!"

I would not feel so bad if it were a company that abused space/dollars but this is a government... so we the people have to pay for it. :rolleyes:

What about e-mail aging every account to 1 day?

What happens when they reach their quota? They stop getting emails? Let their accounts stop getting email and then explain to them that they need to either pay more per month for more space or teach their users to better utilize their email services. Breaking their incoming email and/or hitting them with a large bill is going to be the only way to make them listen. Quietly deleteing emails in the background or sending them nice, friendly email warnings are not going to get the job done.