Nascar

stevevan

This weekend marks the beginning of the 2005 NASCAR season here in the US with the Daytona 500. Just curious to see if the family has any NASCAR fans among them and who their favorite driver(s) is(are) and why.

I'll start:

Favorite driver: Mark Martin

Why? Because in the current situation of NASCAR (high sponsorship and media responsibilities and huge ego's), he is, in my opinion, the ultimate class act. I had an opportunity to sit down with him at his motor home during a weekend that I was a part of the pre-race festivities. He is very down to earth and loves to talk about his son, who is also developing into a racer. What you see on TV is really what he is.

Next?

I'm a big fan of NASCAR!!!

My First race was 1986 in Atlanta.

Also this year will be my first trip to Bristol, TN

Favorite driver: Jimmie Johnson

If there are any fans that would like to join the NASCAR Fantasy Race, come and join us. There's currently 3 TCH members in the group right now, and more are welcomed.

Yahoo Fantasy Auto Racing

Create team, then Join Private Team

Road Rage

Team ID# 14159

PW 6961667

Go #24!

I was a fan of Jeff Gordon when he was a rookie (so no...I didn't jump on the bandwagon) and kinda grew up in NASCAR with him (I really started getting into NASCAR a little before he started). Similar to Martin, I've always thought Jeff was a class act both on and off the track, and a great driver.

I haven't watched much of the NASCAR the last couple seasons, but am going to try to spend more time watching it again this year. It really is one of my favorite sports.

Jeff Gordon, #24 Dupont Chevrolet, Hendrick Motorsports

Go, Jeffie! :)

I've been a fan of Jeff Gordon since the beginning of his rookie year, 1993. He hit the Cup racing scene with a bang and he's been going strong ever since.

In the early years, Jeff looked so much like my favourite brother. I've often wondered if that's why I was attracted initially since I have great admiration for that particular brother. It's a girl thang, but Jeff is so doggone cute and gets even cuter as he gets older!

Jeff Gordon is a class act and a great ambassador for the sport. He is well spoken and for the most part has an incredibly calm demeanor, even in the face of extreme frustration and aggravation.

Much to my hubby's chagrin, I own a JG spring jacket, a JG winter jacket, JG sweat pants, JG t-shirts, JG lunch bag, JG antenna flag, JG air freshener, #24 bumper sticker, and a huge JG poster adorns the wall right next to my pooter here. :eek:

It is the dream of this old girl to some day meet this fine young man I've come to admire so greatly in the world of Nascar and Nextel Cup racing.

Steve you are the man. Mark Martin is without a dought the most respected driver in NASCAR. I have been a fan of his for a very long time. Are you a member of his Fan Club??? Go to the Roush site and sign up if you are not a member. That race on Sunday was one of the best I have seen in a long time. Mark had that car back up to the front on 3 different occasions when he ended up in the back. He was assume yesterday and I really believe he is going to win that championship this year.

Lee

P.S. Did you see him win that IROC race on Friday??

I, personally, don't have any single favorite driver. But I do try my best to catch the races on the tube.

My wife, however, really likes Michael Waltrip. She once saw that show that was interviewing the drivers and such in their coaches or at their homes. She fell in love with his little curly-headed monster of a daughter, and the fact that he seems to be such a great dad and husband. That and the dark curly hair on his yhead LOL.

I have to say, he does always seem to be a rather calm and composed guy, even in the face of a DNF. Just not too keen on his showboat of a team mate/owner.

Steve I agree with that. Looks like he is going to run about 6 more Busch races but he would like to run more if they can get the sponsors.

Lee

Nope,

She wasn't happy with that engine failure.

Did anyone watch the Busch race from Mexico City today? I have to say... you take those boys out of the roundy-round and make their pit crews service from the other side of the vehicle and things go nuts.

That was the funniest race I've seen in a while. You could tell that the camermen and other production folks were not the normal ones found here in the states.

Steve and Glenn The pits at Sears Point are the same as at any other track, they pit to the left, only Watkins Glen do they pit to the right. But you must admit that the stock car drivers seem to do quite well on the road courses. Even the ringers don't dominate the stock car guys.

Lee