Which Browser Is The Fastest?

youneverknow

Here is an interesting article on the different browsers speed at start up , rendering, java script, and a few others. All browsers were tested on the same machine to give unbiased results. There are some tests you can run yourself and see where you are compared to others...here is the link to the article and tests.(Be sure to turn off pop up blocking on the java script test)

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

youneverknow

PS: I think I will stay with Firefox and not Opera

PCHelp, yes, Konqueror is a KDE only browser, so you can only run it if you're running KDE, which is a *nix desktop environment. On the other hand, I saw somewhere that it is possible to run KDE under Windows... perhaps by using Cygwin?

As for why any start time is important, IMO, it is important, because I really don't like having to wait ages for a program to load but, as you said, I won't mind waiting a few seconds more it that program works way better than others.

Moving for organization.

Here is an interesting article on the different browsers speed at start up , rendering, java script, and a few others.  All browsers were tested on the same machine to give unbiased results.  There are some tests you can run yourself and see where you are compared to others...here is the link to the article and tests.(Be sure to turn off pop up blocking on the java script test)

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

youneverknow

PS: I think I will stay with Firefox and not Opera

I'm using Firefox also, I did not read the article, but I think one think alot of people overlook is the machine the browser runs on. Firefox on a AMD 2600+ is gonna be faster than Firefox on an AMD 1 gig Duron. Even more so if you get an optomized version the independents are building. So, no matter what browser, take alook at the machine it is running on.

By the way, if any of you are wondering about Konqurer, I believe you can only get it if you are running a Linux distrobution.

Under Mac OS X you can run Safari. Safari uses the same KHTML rendering engine as Konquerer (and Apple has contributed to the rendering code).

However, that said, I find the rendering with Firefox to be considerably faster than Safari on Mac OS X.

Interesting. What I don't understand is why "cold" or "warm" start time is so important? I wrote a script that launches Safari (and a bunch of other apps) during startup. It stays open until I reboot (one a month, or so). In addition, does speed really matter if a browser cannot render a page properly?  :)

I find that MSIE, Firefox, Mozilla and Opera all allocate more and more resources the longer they are open. On a notebook -- even with 1GB RAM -- swapping to pagefile is painful because of the slower HDD. Ditto for closing/re-opening browsers.

But you're right: don't matter how fast if you can't see the content!