An Idea For A New Website/page

andypeat

I have had a very quick thought for a new website idea that I know I couldn't create it; with my programming knowledge. But thought that someone out there would. Or they may know that it already exists, or it's a waste of time. :)

The concept structure has been outlined in a pdf file and I wanted to release this on this site to see how it could be developed.

Can anyone give any pointers as to what I should do with the pdf so that people can view, and maybe start a discussion on it.

It may be a bad idea - but we'll never know if no-one sees it.

cheers

Andy :yes:

Hi Andy, Pdf link on your current web page is certainly one way.. Does this document contain images ? Reason I ask is why did you choose to save it as a pdf instead of an outline such as

Main Task

• sub task
  • sub task

There are many ways this can be accomplished.

I would be more than willing to help you if you need it.

Do you guys like PDF?

I have had a few clients ask me to build them a site using PDF and I refused to do any PDF. Lost them both because of it.

I find PDF shuts down peoples computers that are overloaded, older or outdated.

Am I wrong?

Weezy

I am not a huge fan of PDF files I certainly understand they have a purpose, but I much prefer plain txt html, even MS Word documents over pdf..My personal opinion I understand.

I have experienced quite a few problems with firefox and pdf's that I have not worked out yet,

I still need to test with an Older version of the reader.

hopefully that will work .

:P

I am not a huge fan of PDF files I certainly understand they have a purpose, but I much prefer plain txt html, even MS Word documents over pdf..My personal opinion I understand.

I have experienced quite a few problems with firefox and pdf's that I have not worked out yet,

I still need to test with an Older version of the reader.

hopefully that will work .

:P

ME TOO! What is the big thrill with PDF?

I rarely download PDF files or try to view them. BLECK!!! LOL!

Weezy

Okay, okay... :P

So nobody like PDFs. Coming from a graphics background I find most people ask for pdfs and I'm more of a visual type of person than words which is why I have to draw pretty pictures.

My pdf is about 56k and can be found at

http://www.busybea.co.uk/index.php?id=91

If you would like a different format I'm sure I could make one. You'll probably find that loading my web page will take longer than downloading the pdf (sorry about that). :P

It's probably a **** idea anyway, but hey! :(

Look forward to any comments, good or bad. :D

Andy

Do you guys like PDF?

I have had a few clients ask me to build them a site using PDF and I refused to do any PDF.  Lost them both because of it.

I find PDF shuts down peoples computers that are overloaded, older or outdated.

Am I wrong?

Weezy

PDF's work very well for structured documents, primarily ones meant for offline viewing and/or printing. I would never imagine using PDF content as website content except for the case of providing formatted reports for possible printing/saving.

Word documents require 1) an expensive piece of software (Word), and 2) an operating system that Word runs on, and even then, you aren't guaranteed maintaining the same exact format (different versions of Word, different fonts, etc...).

PDF's should maintain the exact same format no matter what platform you view it on (with some minor exceptions).

Plain text and HTML work great (and much better) for online viewing... but aren't as good when you need a printed/formatted output.

So for me, PDF is excellent at very specific purposes. The primary one being making formatted documents available to anyone.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:  Are you making a search engine?

Weezy

I don't think it is a serch engine; as it will be using the search engines already available.

I guess it is more of a user interface for using other search engines. but I thought I'd let other people have a look to see if it is a viable idea.

thanks.

Andy

Just for the record...Micro$oft offers a free Word viewer Version 2003 at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

youneverknow

Yea, and that is a good point (I had forgotten about their free viewer), but it does have a limitation:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

If you're not running windows, you're still out of luck.

Thomas, I don't think MikeJ is looking for a viewer.  He was commenting on someone else's post.  :clapping:

Okay, getting back to the topic. I think I may have found someone who has developed a similar theme.

http://diveintomark.org/cgi-bin/neighborho...iveintomark.org

Mark Pilgrim has made something in Python but it isn't "visual" as in my original plan.

I will try to look into this when there is time. Apparently there is a limit on usage with google.

thanks.

Andy