Have You Read A Book Lately?

ace

Hello, TCH Family,

I am doing some research to find out what folks are reading these days and invite you to participate by posting the name of the last book you read from cover to cover. I think it will interesting to find out what the TCH family is reading. Thank you in advance for contributing to my research.

Here is the last book i read: Power of the Call

Thank you so much

:) :)

Most of what I read is work related. I havent read a real book cover to cover since Dragon Tears from Dean Koontz. I watch a lot of Japanese subtitled movies though, I have to read them. Does that count?

I would like to read more but I do all of the cooking, cleaning, getting the kids up and putting them to bed and get everyone to work and school as well as this. I am happy to catch half an hour of the news and a movie twice a week.

I've just finished reading

The Da Vinci Code

and

Angles and Demons

by Dan Brown.

Have you read these two yet, Mike? If so, how does Digital Fortress compare to them?

James

I havent read either of them, but I plan on it. Digital fortress just caught my eye for some reason so i bought it. It is a pretty good book, it's kind of slow in parts but I've heard the same about his other books.

Just finished The DaVici Code (Dan Brown) and Prayers for the Dead (Faye Kellerman). I try to read one every week or every two weeks. Mostly who-dunnits and sci-fi but almost always fiction. I get enough scary non-fiction everyday thank you.

It seems The Da Vinci Code is a top read just now ;) I got it for Christmas & enjoyed it so much I've just read Digital Fortress by the same author. Also High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (since I love the film) & currently reading The Elder Gods by David & Leigh Eddings.

social psychology (authors: Aronson, Wilson, Arket)

its a textbook though i read it for fun, to educate myself (not for school or anything like that)

also, toxic parents by Dr. Susan Foreward (also a psychology book, though its on emotionally abusive relationship with your parents)

oh and for u guys that like the da vinci code, angels & demos also by Dan Brown is even better

a side question..when u guys read a book (like the da vinci code), do you imagine the book as if it were a movie, like do u "see" the events happening when you read them? i do this, but my friends don't, just wondering if you guys do this?

Tend to read more magazines than books:

Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, Guideposts, Readers Digest, Prevention, PC World, Business Week, Digital Photography, Bowling This Month.

Haven’t read books with a real story in over 30 years. Most books I’ve read recently have to do with nutrition or psychology. On the other hand, book with a story are about the ONLY thing my wife reads (romance novels).

Hey you!  I read that book!  Totally loved it.  She wrote another one called "Lucky", which was about an event in her own life.  That one is even better.

Hey! :yes: I'm going to keep track of Alice Sebold's releases, and read them all, even though the ending of the book was a little out of place to the rest of it.

I've read The Lovely Bones too, Marie B. Fascinating concept & a good read

It really is. I've never been so involved in a book as I was with The Lovely Bones.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all your responses to this post. The research that I was doing was to see if technical minded folks read printed books/text cover to cover and what we read. During a round table debate it was discussed that computers are diminishing the use of printed text. Further emphasis was placed on technical folks indicating that we read more online than any other affinity group.. I was not sure i agreed so i made my post. Thank you.....no names will be used in my research only numbers.

Again thanks.

:goof: :(

Edited by ace

I read for about 1 hour every morning :)

I run the gamut from my 4-wheeling magazines and other periodicals (Reader's Digest, PC, etc.) to tech manuals to my wife's cast offs.

Right now I am reading a series about a wizard in Chicago... Hary Dresden.

Pretty interesting and captivating, as I seem to be killing off a 300 pager in about 7 hours.

I also like Whodunnits and have read all of the Sue Grafton Alphabet series with Kinsey Milhone.

I read just about anything I can get my hands on, including the backs of shampoo and other toiletry and cleaning bottles when desperate. LOL

I've just finished:

A Falcon Flies by Wilbur Smith

I am an avid reader. I read about a book a week.

Thank you so much for all your responses to this post.  The research that I was doing was to see if technical minded folks read printed books/text  cover to cover and what we read.  During a round table debate it was discussed that computers are diminishing the use of printed text. Further emphasis was placed on technical folks indicating that we read more online than any other affinity group.. I was not sure i agreed so i made my post.  Thank you.....no names will be used in my research only numbers.

Again thanks.

:group:  :)

I was just talking to my boyfriend about this last night. For me, the feel of a printed book in my hands is wonderful, BUT if someone developed a tablet type of book device that was the size of a paperback novel, I think that would be awesome. It would be cool to be able to download books and have them load into the tablet and even have it so that it is illuminated for those who like to read in bed at night w/o distubing their significant other. I do love turning pages, but it is noisy and can be a pain in the wrist. I love printed books, but I would for sure purchase and use a tablet type of novel where I could just load in book after book.

As for what I read... I love classic novels, thrillers, mystery books, sci-fi, adventure type novels. I love periodicals as well. I read pretty much anything and everything I can. There is nothing like getting lost in the printed word and making movies in your mind as you read.

Heh.  I read Toxic Parents and am now currently hacking my way through Angels and Demons:)

Toxic Parents is a great book, though emotionally exhausing as it really makes you 'see' into yourself and the wreckage a Toxic parent has done. Opened up some sore spots, but was a great book for me to take some action! I read Learned Optimism: How To Change Your Mind and Your Life by Martin E.P. Seligman a month or so ago and that is a very insightful book.

I was just talking to my boyfriend about this last night. For me, the feel of a printed book in my hands is wonderful, BUT if someone developed a tablet type of book device that was the size of a paperback novel, I think that would be awesome. It would be cool to be able to download books and have them load into the tablet and even have it so that it is illuminated for those who like to read in bed at night w/o distubing their significant other.  I do love turning pages, but it is noisy and can be a pain in the wrist. I love printed books, but I would for sure purchase and use a tablet type of novel where I could just load in book after book.

Take a look at PDA and eBook readers. They are about the size of a paperback and you can download books into them for reading on the road.

You can check out these sites to see what type of books are available.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/ebooks.asp

http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/welcome

I was just talking to my boyfriend about this last night. For me, the feel of a printed book in my hands is wonderful, BUT if someone developed a tablet type of book device that was the size of a paperback novel, I think that would be awesome. It would be cool to be able to download books and have them load into the tablet and even have it so that it is illuminated for those who like to read in bed at night w/o distubing their significant other.  I do love turning pages, but it is noisy and can be a pain in the wrist. I love printed books, but I would for sure purchase and use a tablet type of novel where I could just load in book after book.

Take a look at PDA and eBook readers. They are about the size of a paperback and you can download books into them for reading on the road.

You can check out these sites to see what type of books are available.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/ebooks.asp

http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/welcome

Bruce!

That is awesome! Just what I was thinking of last nite.

Is it too early to add it to my Christmas wish list? LOL

I wonder why Barnes and Noble discontinued selling e-books?

Edited by webgyrl

Just finished Iain M. Banks' Inversions this afternoon. Before that, it was Peter Hamilton's Fallen Dragon, and before that Richard Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale. Next on the list is Richard Morgan's Market Forces (in the Palm ebook format!).

I always have at least one book going at any given time. How many mornings have I had to drag myself to work because I stayed up too late reading? Heh. How many mornings haven't I had to!

I write for a small-town newspaper, and the last book I read related to local history, and it was in preparation for a visit by the author to my little town. (I got to read the book the week before it was released.)

"Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed The World," by Mim Eichler Rivas, is a real page-turner, and I highly recommend it. Beautiful Jim Key was a horse from my county in Tennessee who lived at the turn of the 20th Century and was exhibited around the U.S., including several world's fair-style exhibitions. Owned and humanely trained by a former slave, Dr. William Key, Jim was supposedly able to spell, make change, and answer various questions. Everyone supsected stage tricks, of course, but no one was ever able to figure out anything. The horse seems to have undoubtedly remarkably intelligent, even if not every trick was what it appeared to be.

Beautiful Jim Key and Dr. William Key managed to hook up with a promoter, Albert Rogers, who not only made them famous but used them to promote the still-struggling humane movement of that day. More than one million children who saw the horse in person signed "Jim Key Band of Mercy" membership cards in which they promised to be kind to animals.

It's a fascinating story, beautifully told. I highly recommend it.

well for me it is

Micosoft visual basic.net --- step by step

java how to program -- Deitel & Deitel

plus comp mags and a lot of online articals

as for real news paper and national geographics

Thank you so much for all your responses to this post.  The research that I was doing was to see if technical minded folks read printed books/text  cover to cover and what we read.  During a round table debate it was discussed that computers are diminishing the use of printed text. Further emphasis was placed on technical folks indicating that we read more online than any other affinity group.. I was not sure i agreed so i made my post.  Thank you.....no names will be used in my research only numbers.

Again thanks.

:blush:  :clapping:

Well I am trying to catch up and this thread caught my eye.....I read 2 to 3 books a week....got interested in Stuart Woods....murder mystery's and just finished James Patterson's new book "Honeymoon" great read I started yesterday around 4pm went to work today and finished it in about 2 hours.

Your coment on reading online......I don't like to if it's work related.....so much of our processes and procedures are online and I print them out.....I like to highlight stuff that is important or that I need to find quickly<G> I have started taking the printouts to Office Max and getting them drilled and spiral bound.......I also do that with Computer type help books like FrontPage and HTML and others...it helps if the books can lay flat and the price to convert a 2 inch thick HTML book was less than 5 bucks.

Anyway I prefer books over online unless it current events or breaking news....I watch very little TV....dumped Cable a couple years ago and never looked back :1eye:

Donna

Oh I read lots of Science Fiction too and am a really bad speller :oops:

I just got a new job and they gave me that 7 Habits of Effectual People book to read... the Programming book they gave me isn't as dry. Well, it's a good way to fall asleep. One page and I'm out for the night...

The only reason I'm trying to read it is so the referances the Simpsons make about this book will seem all the more humerous...

Yeah, Franklin Covey books are always interesting to read... no... wait. Those were my eyelids, not words.

Well, they are effective... as a sedative.

In all fairness, I've read most all of the motivational, effectiveness and interpersonal skills books I can get a hold of. Makes life a little more comfortable when you're almost phobic about crowded settings and can just follow the steps and tips you read in a book somewhere.

I'm currently reading Dark Tower VII - The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Think i have read everything he has published. I have also read every discworld story as well. I have a personal library of over 200 books, all of which I have read, which annoys my better half as she thinks they are wasting space. I remember reading The Hobbit when I was about 13 because the book came free with the Commodore 64 game.

Finished reading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds a few days ago. If you like Hard Sci-fi this is a must read.

Started reading When I Was a Kid, This Was a Free Country by G. Gordon Liddy yesterday. If you have read anything Liddy you either love it or hate it, no in-between

I'm currently reading Dark Tower VII - The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Think i have read everything he has published. I have also read every discworld story as well. I have a personal library of over 200 books, all of which I have read, which annoys my better half as she thinks they are wasting space. I remember reading The Hobbit when I was about 13 because the book came free with the Commodore 64 game.

LOL Terry Prachette is a riot!

I too have all the discworld books in hard cover.

I will buy any book by him

I just reread the hobbit, much better after the lord of the rings movies :lol2:

Well, the last one I finished was a Spirou comics book (not sure if American folks know it, they're french comic books and were very famous in Europe during the 60-70's).

Before that, I finished Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" and "The Universe in a Nutshell". Before that, Walter M. Miller, Jr's "A Canticle for Leibowitz" (fabulous! read it, even if you don't like science fiction!). Before that J. R. R Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" (for the 5th or 6th time :lol:) and "The Hobbit (for the 4th time).

Apart from these, there are also the Kung Fu study books and the programming stuff :lol2:

Just finished (re-)reading the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (all five of them) in between studying for my Cisco exams and my MCSE upgrade (just finished renewing ALL my certs -- WHEW!)

I'm currently reading The Confessions of Saint Augustine.