Sign in to follow this  
LunarMagic

Xhtml And Omittag No

Okay, here's the problem: I'm using wordpress now, which is all coded as XHTML transitional. However the templates are mine, coded as HTML transitional. So no matter how I declare the DOCTYPE - XHTML or HTML, it won't validate. When I declare it as XHTML it's hanging up on all my code that doesn't use />, but when I declare it as HTML it's hanging up on all the WP code that USES />.

So. Other than completely re-writing half my code (not a fun prospect), is there any way to declare the DOCTYPE to accept the other half? This is juse a personal site, not a business one, so it doesn't have to be perfect and I'm not overly concerned with perfect validation... however... I am currently having problems with non-IE users viewing my site and I suspect it has to do with the validation problems.

No, there is not. You have to stick with the standard if you want it to validate.

You should use a tool that has global find and replace. I can suggest some for OSX if you use that. I'd suggest going with xHTML, at that.

I agree with Lisa: go with XHTML.

I also suggest you look at HTML Tidy to convert all your code into XHTML.