Back To Ie...

DarqFlare

Sadly, I'm going to have to return to the world of using IE for all of my web browsing. I've jsut had way too many problems with FireFox.

It crashes on me, won't load fully most of the time... It's rather annoying. Maybe I'll figure it out, but I'm sick of it.

Urrghle.

I am still using the 1.0 preview, I forgot to upgrade,

because I have had no problems and PDFs load fine.

IE on the other hand I haven't used or updated in so long,

I am afraid to use it :lol:

I did have to save the prefs and delete extensions and the profile

when I upgraded to 1.0.

Have you checked to make sure it isn't a chair to keyboard interface problem?
:clapping: :)

Robert, sorry to hear that. I never had any problems with Firefox. As for the PDF problem, I never use a web browser to view PDF files. A web browser is supposed to open web pages, not PDFs :P

Seriously, I've seen people having problems with Adobe's Acreboat plugin both on IE and Firefox and I really don't think it's a problem with any of the three programs. Well... maybe it is but it's not a problem with the program itself, it's more like incompatibilities with other installed stuff. Either that or some defective RAM, which you can test with memtest86.

I use FF and I too found pdf files slow to open...that being said I found that the eariler versions of Acrobat reader load really fast. Try going to olderversions.com and use acorbat 5...its not bloated like 6 or heavens to bid 7 . Only a few hang up with FF and that are sites that try to open windows media player. Any way good luck with IE just make sure you have all the updates before using...

youneverknow

I dunno whassup but I've had zero problems with Firefox as well. I did get a utility (sorry, I forget where) that disables most of the less-often used features of reader so it loads faster - maybe that's a factor with PDF's.

I run some pretty non-standard, as well as standard, stuff. Definitely consider removing (completely) the old FF and reload it.

To fix the PDF problem, just install Reader 7.0.. That's how I fixed that one.

That's about all I've been able to fix. My FF consistently crashes, and once it crashes for the first time on an install, my extensions get all messed up, and certain data gets lost (History, saved passwords, etc).

I've uninstalled and made sure to completely remove the profile folder, and reinstalled. Same problems.

I've also recently run into the problem where FF will start, but it won't load 100%, so my bookmarks toolbar never loads and I can't interface with the software. I have to shut it down and retry starting it again.

You can see why I'm frustrated. This is happening on multiple computers. I've only got four extensions installed now, I thought maybe that was the problem... I haven't had a problem yet since I created a new profile and only installed four "must-have" extensions... We'll see.

Robert, what you're describing is the typical scenario of something not being deleted when you upgrade to 1.0. I've read somewhere about this but I believe that it's usually due to forgetting to delete the user profile, which you did, so I'm not sure what to say...

Well, good luck back in the virus & spyware land :clapping:

I've also recently run into the problem where FF will start, but it won't load 100%, so my bookmarks toolbar never loads and I can't interface with the software. I have to shut it down and retry starting it again.

I also have this problem with FF.

Another thing, I have a search box in the tool bar. Anytime I try to use it for a search I get a timed out.

These problems are on 2 different computers, one that never had FF until I installed 1.0

WEll, I completely uninstalled FF and made sure to remove the profiles folder and it still had problems on a complete reinstallation from scratch.

I must say, I'm running it again using only 4 extensions and it seems to be working 100%, so maybe it was a bad extension. I do like FF better than IE, but if FF won't work right for me I cna't use it.

Here's to hoping it stays stable for me now!

Yep, Firefox does use a lot of memory. I still like that better than having my computer open wide to the world, though :dance:

Robert, you're probably right, it could be a problem with some extension. If you have the time & patience, you could search the web about other reports of similar problems with some of the extensions you had installed and now don't. Maybe you could find the source of the problem.

Yeah, Firefox does take up a bit - mine is about 32M - but then again, IE takes up about 200M under the name "Windows". :dance: It's like the smaller cheaper modems (winmodems) that depend on Windows coding to do some of the functionality - put them on Linux and they don't work.

Like Raul said, IE opens the OS to the world because it is so intimately entwined within the OS.

• 2 weeks later...

Firefox has a known memory leak. That's why I've had to stop using it.

Having over 100MB dedicated to my browser is a little bit excessive! :blush:

Although, do not go back to IE, try the latest version of Opera. They've

come a long way since the last time I used them (must've been v5 days).

Raul, you can try this page at Bugzilla for some info. Not real info but bug reports.

Its fairly easy to fix by allocating less memory to firefox.

Firefox power users recommend limiting the memory cache using the Configuration Console. This frees up memory for other apps, speeding up everything to a greater or a lesser extent, depending on your machine and the applications you run. Here's how the trick works:

Step 1. Type about:config into Firefox's Address Bar and press Enter.

Step 2. Right-click any row, then click New, Integer. Type or paste the following preference name into the dialog box that appears (this is a hidden preference that doesn't exist in the Configuration Console until you create it):

browser.cache.memory.capacity

Step 3. Click OK, then enter the following integer number into the next dialog box, representing 32 MB of RAM for the cache:

Step 4. Click OK to close the dialog box, then close all instances of Firefox and restart it.

You can set it to 16 MB or 64, even higher if you want.

I don't know how this will work using Linux as the OS. When I'm using Mandrake I only have Konqueror as my browser.

According to some people, this is indeed going to limit the allocated memory for firefox but in turn, this will increase disk usage when firefox runs out of allocated memory - which makes perfect sense. I'm going to experiment with it and see how it behaves.

Thanks for the info, curtis!! :(