C:\www\.htaccess

Prel

Allowing an .htaccess file to have 777 permissions would allow anyone to edit it - meaning that they could circumvent the security it provides by editing the file to provide their own username/password combo. It may be that the program is writing to the .htaccess file and requires that access, though... there are some various workarounds with shell access, but otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you. Personally, I'd be wary of a program using this kind of security as its only layer - if PHPNuke also has another layer of passwords to allow access to it, such as an SQL-based password list, you might still be okay. If you can, I'd try experimenting with some slightly lesser permissions (755? 775?) and see whether it complains, and only set it to 777 as a last resort.

• 3 weeks later...

My question is in relation to .htaccess. I accindetally deleted an .htaccess file from the public_html. I already contacted support on this one and I noticed .htacces is again in placed. Now the question, with TCH, do you automatically add an .htaccess file and what happen if no .htaccess file in a directory with password protected files, or is it possible??

You can "create" your own .htaccess file either using a text editor (it is just a simple little text file) or by using your Cpanel to password protect that directory. You can also have cpanel make you a .htaccess file by going into cpanel and clicking on the index manager and selecting that particular folder and changing the index behaviour. You will then notice a .htaccess file in that folder, with the correct syntax in it. These are the easiest ways to make the file if you are unsure about it (at least in my experience).

Just make sure you do some research into the various options of .htacess (commonly explained using google search and probably listed as a help file on TCH). Anyway, this might save you a trip to the help desk the next time you delete that file. :)

Thanks so much, I guess I did it the hard way but a learning hard way. Actually, I read some toturials on how to create an .htaccess files and the use of some of the common syntax. But I wasn't sure if I should try it or not. I guess I didn't trust what I read. :( . I didn't know though that .htaccess can be created through cpanel. Thanks for the info. I need to read the cpanel manual.