Email

Today I learned a good lesson.

I just checked my web mail and I have 1400 emails waiting for me.

I have discoverd that if people send email to me at any address with my domain at the end it seems to store it in the web mail rather then send it back saying 'no address found' ..

Is there a way to avoid this?

For example I have had lots of people email me at weezt@ rather then weezy@ and it stored the email.

OUCH, I have alot of spam too.

LOL!

Weezy

In Cpanel > Email section > Default adress > Set Default Address to :fail:

This will make all emails not sent to a adress set up by you to fail.

You can enter :blackhole: to discard all incoming unrouted mail or :fail: no such address here to bounce it.

Also, moving for organization.

I configure their email for them to prevent this from happening again.

Good initiative. :sleepy:

However, don´t forget to tell them, since spamassassin (SA) can do things wrong sometimes, meaning that some adresses that SA thinks is spam isn´t and should be on the whitelist instead and so on.

You can open a help desk ticket and ask support to clear it for you.

Thanks thats a good idea, but I have way too many with this problem..I will just peck away at them. LOL!

I sure hope other people read this thread and set their mail default early in the life of a domain.

Weezy

You can log into Horde Webmail and use the Folders icon to clear an entire folder. Logging into your main email account will also allow access to your created accounts.

Do note that if you just move mail to the Trash and don't clear the trash it will still take up space.

There are times when you don't have enough disk space left to clear the inbox. In those cases, open a Help Desk ticket and let us know which account needs to be cleared and we can do it from the server pretty easily.

You can log into Horde Webmail and use the Folders icon to clear an entire folder. Logging into your main email account will also allow access to your created accounts.

Do note that if you just move mail to the Trash and don't clear the trash it will still take up space.

There are times when you don't have enough disk space left to clear the inbox. In those cases, open a Help Desk ticket and let us know which account needs to be cleared and we can do it from the server pretty easily.

Thanks again Rick - this works perfect!

Weezy

Using Folders in Horde is probably the easiest solution.

If you have several accounts that need to have large files cleared, another method is to use your ftp program, find the mail folder and open it. You can just delete the inbox and spam files through ftp.

You can also open individual accounts and delete the inbox and spam files. This saves you the work of logging into each email account with Horde which requires both the log in name and the specific password for that account.

I took the advice above and set the default to fail.

My question is this:

What happens to the failed messages?

Do they get bounced back to the sender without being stored anywhere on my server, or do I still need to search them out and delete them to keep some email file from getting bloated?

A second question:

Could someone explain the pros and cons of using the default of fail or the default of blackhole?

Thanks.

I found these posts that may help to explain,

Also because cPanel changed the configuration of how email is handled.

It used to be that  :fail: would accept the message, process it, then bounce it.

Now the mail software refuses to accept the message which means the mail never is transferred to the server. This saves you bandwidth, and saves our servers some processing time.

So with blackhole you get charged for the bandwidth of the e-mail and then it is deleted

And with :fail: you are not charged for bandwidth for spam.

You can still use an alias

You can create a forward for an account that doesnt exist, then any e-mail sent to that address would be forwarded to wherever you wanted it.

• 2 months later...

I dug up this thread today again - I had the same problem with spam.

I parked a domain on my main site and forgot to set that domain to :fail: OMG! I had one szzzeilllion emails. :lol:

It's great that this info is always here if we need it. I forgot which email program was most useful in deleting lots of emails all at once.

:P

Weezy