Ftp Account

tamda

Hi all,

I want to create a FTP account for a web designer so they can upload the latest updates to my website. However, I don't want them to have access to any other area such as Gallery (which is installed in the same Public_html directory). Does anyone know how to create this access specific FTP account using CPANEL?

Many thanks.

-Dave

In your cpanel you have "Manage accounts" under the ftp section.

It says:

If you enter a single / in the directory box, the new FTP user will have access to the entire public_html directory and all directories under it. If you just want the new user to be able to access a sub-domain, just set the directory box to the same value as the sub-domain's root name, which is listed in parenthesis on the sub-domain section of this control panel.

Please be aware that the new user will have read/write access to the directory you choose and every directory below it. For example, if you choose to add the user john, and give the user access to /home/cpanelusername/public_html/john directory, the user will be able to add, edit, rename and remove any file or directory in /home/cpanelusername/public_html/john.

The one in bold is what I think you want to do.

Also moving for organization.

Thomas/Bruce,

I guess from what both of you are saying, I can't limit their access at all using CPANEL if the website they are updating is the main site and not a sub-domain? I guess I have no option but to have them uploaded to a certain folder and then I will have to manually move it.

Thanks.

btw...hope you guys had a great holiday season and will have a great New Year!

-Dave

just what i'm looking for :rolleyes:

but one problem. now my limited user cant access his supposedly accessible folder.

can you guys give some instructions and i can see where i go wrong?

like how the limited user can access his account.

i tried a billion times. nothing works.

Make sure they login to FTP using the user@domain.ext for the user name.

Say your domain is xyz.com

Create a folder in the public_html folder for the user called john. Then create an ftp user called john, enter a password and enter "john" in the third box.

In the FTP program the user name will be john@xyz.com and enter the password you assigned. They should get logged in and be in the "john" folder.

Make sure they login to FTP using the user@domain.ext for the user name.

Say your domain is xyz.com

Create a folder in the public_html folder for the user called john. Then create an ftp user called john, enter a password and enter "john" in the third box.

In the FTP program the user name will be john@xyz.com and enter the password you assigned. They should get logged in and be in the "john" folder.

i did exactly as you said and it's not working. i'm trying to allow a user to access my forum folder with phpbb installed. Are there any other implication i might have because of the phpbb??

Well, I don't know what you could be doing worng. I just tested it. I have a phpbb forum located in a folder called "forum"

I created an FTP user called phpbb, gave it a password, and put "forum" in the third box.

I opened my FTP client and entered the following:

site: ftp.mydomain.ext

user: phpbb@mydomain.ext

password: password I assigned

Logged me directly into the "forum" folder.

If the above steps won't work for you, I suggest opening a Help Desk ticket (link at top of page) to support and have one of the techs have a look into it.

Question before you open the help desk ticket. You are using an FTP client, right? You are not trying to log in using your browser, right?

Havig the same issue. (Didn't know it was an issue until the person told me last night!) Gotta run for now, but I'll try some things out later on today and see if anyone else has the same problem or came up with a fix.

P.S. Yes, I'm using both a FTP client and from the command line. Things that make you go......hmmmmm!

• 4 weeks later...

I was recently asked to add a passworded folder to an existing site for a school district with two schools. One person had been doing all of the posting and a second person in the other school wanted to be able to post independently. The first person didn't want the second to have access to the entire site, but just to a folder for school two.

I read through the entries in this forum and found this thread. What was posted here helped immensely. I did have some trial and error. The secret to most of this stuff is to never give up. Just keep trying, but write down what you do each time so that when it does work, you can do it again without all the trial and error.

Here is a summary of what worked for me:

Setting Up a Passworded Folder within a Site

Before we can set up a folder with its own passworded access within an existing web site, we need to create an FTP user and give that user access to the web site. I did this with cPanel.

A folder with the name of the user needs to be created and placed on the web site. I did this with Dreamweaver while logged in with an already existing user name for the whole site.

On ****, the entire web site lives inside a folder named public_html. For the your web site, the site may live in a folder with the same name, or some different name. We need to know the name of that folder.

For this exercise, I created an FTP account named krazy with the password kz1234.

Inside the public_html folder, I created a folder named krazy to match the account name.

In DreamWeaver, under New Site, I created a local site which resides on my hard drive in the folder named "Greta:Fetch 3.0.3 Folder:mydomain:krazy:"

There is a browse button that lets us establish the local path. This is done under Local Info in Site Definition.

Then, in Remote Info, I used the dropdown menu to choose FTP.

For host I used ****

I left Directory: blank

For login, I used krazy (because that is the FTP account name), but I had to add @**** to the krazy. An early post says to do it this way. I tried just krazy and it didn't work.

In password, I put the FTP password for the krazy account, kz1234

I left the Passive FTP, Use Firewall and other boxes unchecked.

Then, I clicked OK and then Done.

You should be able to log in with DreamWeaver and add pages or make changes to the existing page without being able to get to any other folders on the **** site.