Uploading Moveable Type Files

wrongblonde

Hi Friendly people of TCHFF! =] It's me, back once again for my level of stupidity. *sighs* Hope you're not tired of me already!! Once again, I'm clueless on what I'm doing at the moment. I'm trying to install moveable type [ the blog thing ] onto my site. I got as far as ...

NOTE: be careful when doing this, as certain files must be uploaded in ASCII mode, whereas others must be uploaded in binary mode. If you get it wrong, the scripts WILL NOT WORK.

this part.. where i upload the files usnig my ftp program. I have absoluetly NO CLUE what this means... I was wondering if someone would be able to help me step by step. I mean I get most of it.. just there are some technical stuff that I'm completely clueless about.

*sighs*

I'm sorry for all this trouble. Hope someone can help me

:)

Make it much easier, by default I think that WS_FTP is set to default and since you don't know how to change modes I doubt that's changed. Just upload the distribution (the tar gz -- if you downloaded the zip go back and download the tar gz) Upload that to your public_html folder, login to cPanel and open the file manager, click the file and click extract contents. Voila all done now you just need to edit mt.cfg and mt-db-pass.cgi

You replace the database_password :eek: After you do that, run mt-check.cgi make sure you've got everything installed that you need, and if it lets you go on run mt-load.cgi, if everything runs successfully (it'll tell you if it does) delete mt-load.cgi and you've got MT setup, go to mt.cgi and login with Melody/Nelson

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@humorous-conclusion.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.humorous-conclusion.com Port 80

I got this message when I typed in my address for the url.. just like you said.

*sighs* i'm a failure!!

Edited by TCH-Rick

First of all you're not a failure. MT is pretty hard to setup and you're doing very well.

First off, you might want to rename the directory "MT-3.14-full-en_us" to something shorter like "mt" (and make sure you update CGIPath in mt.cfg) Next make sure all the cgi files in that directory have permissions set to 755. This can either be done through an FTP client, look for something called chmod or through cpanel's file manager (click the file name and then change permissions) More information

I removed the URL in your last post to prevent anyone from clicking on it. If you have AIM or Yahoo IM give me a shout. There were some problems in your mt.cfg file and it looks like no user has been assigned to the database. I did rename the folder as well to make things a little neater and so it matches the instructions on the Help Pages.

I've just taken a look around your installation and there are a few other things you will need to change to get MT really streamlined. PM me and I'll just ease things and help set it up for you!

I PM'd you yesterday, not sure if you got the message or not. Just let me know.

Thanks for the help Rick =] By the way, how would I contact you with Yahoo or AIM?