How Can I Trust Firefox?

TCH-Thomas

From Slashdot (http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/21/0038235&from=rss)

Posted by timothy on Monday December 20, @09:11PM

from the how-could-anyone-trust-ie? dept.

TheRealSlimShady writes "Peter Torr (who?) from Microsoft invites a certain flamewar with his essay 'How can I trust Firefox?' He raises some interesting security related points about the download and installation of Firefox, some of which should probably be addressed. The focus is on code signing, which Microsoft is hot on. Of course, the obvious question is 'Do I trust Firefox less than IE?'"

Be sure to read the link "How can I trust Firefox?" in the slashdot article. I haven´t finished reading it yet, but it sounds like the war keeps getting worse. :P :(

Yeah, sure, I went through all that trouble when I installed Fire Fox on my computer.

I dumped all Microsoft Browsers a long time ago and I'll never go back to them.

I don't care if most internet users use IE, I detest that browser.

I'll stick to my FireFox.

I find all this back and forth a little humorous and a bit tiring at the same time. Maybe it is because I am a little slow but so what, use what is best for you and move on. Dont judge me by my OS or browser, I use what I know and what may be convenient.

I also know what to look for to prevent me from running into problems though but still, this is getting almost as bad as religion.

You say I am going to burn for using my browser?

I live in Phoenix baby, bring it on!

Dont judge me by my OS or browser, I use what I know and what may be convenient.

You say I am going to burn for using my browser?

You're a goof and your browser dresses funny too! Yes, you will burn for using that heretic browser! Burn I say! Hell fire-fox and Brimston-ie. Turn now from your ways, see the light and be saved from your evil browser!

;) By the way, what browser do you use? :P

Seriously, I agree with Rob. If you ask I can tell you why I love Firefox but it's up to you to decide what you like best. It's like toilet paper - does it matter if I use the quilted one with no lint or the one the bears use when they go in the woods? Of course not... only to me.

I completely agree with Rob.

IE is also not an option for me, since I run Linux. I do use Firefox and I do think it's a much better browser than IE, which, nowadays, I don't even consider a real browser... it's more like a toy. And a bad, misbehaving one :clapping:

Still, I completely understand Bill's point of view and if I had a business about which I cared as much as Bill cares about TCH, I'd probably do the same thing he does.

Edited by TCH-Raul

I saw this today - w3schools is attributing Mozilla with 21.2% of the browser market. Looks like we're not the only ones who prefer it. :clapping:

www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

21.2%? Hmmm... although I want that to be the truth, I find it a little hard to believe. If they're talking about geeks and power users, then OK, I believe it (although in that case I'd find it a rather low number and would be disappointed) but if they're talking about the general internet user... I don't know... as I said, I'd like it to be truth but...

21.2%? Hmmm... although I want that to be the truth, I find it a little hard to believe. If they're talking about geeks and power users, then OK, I believe it (although in that case I'd find it a rather low number and would be disappointed) but if they're talking about the general internet user... I don't know... as I said, I'd like it to be truth but...

From the page referred to:

(The statistics above are extracted from W3Schools' log-files, but we are also monitoring other sources around the Internet to assure the quality of these figures)
This would obviously be "geeks and power users" that are interested in web-design related things... but not necessarily the most hard-core of the geeks.

But still, if 21% of the folks going to w3schools are using FF then it's only a matter of time before it spreads - imagine the "site best viewed with Firefox" and "Download Firefox" taglines that will come from it. :xmas:

Rob's post, Dec 21 2004, 03:24 PM, is the right approach. There is so much bashing of folks because of preferences, dislikes of companies and people or dislikes of companies who are successful, on and on. In another year, or less, it'll all change again anyway.

Find what works for you and work with what you found! Thanx Rob, for setting it straight!

I've got a predominance of females on my site, though the males are catching up. Here's my statistics, even though I myself use Firefox and probably upping the percentage a little. I'm responsible for maybe a half percent of the traffic. Here are my Awstats:

MS Internet Explorer 90.8 %

Firefox 3.2 %

Netscape 1.6 %

Mozilla 1.3 %

And on and on.

I use Firefox but my site doesn't track my visits. It looks like my visitors are getting on the ball:

Firefox 1.x 27%

Internet Explorer 6.x 57%

Internet Explorer 5.x 3%

Internet Explorer 4.x 1%

Mozilla 1.x 4%

Netscape 7.x 1%

Opera 7.x 1%

Safari 1.x 6%

Three months ago, Firefox's share was around 3%.