Just One Problem

rebel

i've only just joined, but i've been playing with someone else's account for a while now. top marks so far, except one problem.....

it would be GREAT if we could be given shell access... using cpanel could be really frustrating...

eg. moving and renaming files have become such complicated procedures, especially if you have repeat the operation many many times....

now i understand the security concerns and if i had my own web hosting company i probably wouldn't give people shell access either, but i guess i gotta at least try..... :P

any chance at all?? Naughty

Welcome to your new home, Rebel.

I never used shell on my previous host but when I came here it was available. I'll have to admit that it made me nervous because as a former unix programmer I know some of the risks. TCH has tight security but you can never be too safe. I was very glad a few months later when they discontinued the service.

There are other alternatives and the folks here can help you figure how to do most anything you could with shell without it.

ok thanks for the replies guys..... i do feel so very welcome here :)

like i said i have to at least try, but yes i do understand the reasons behind the decision so i guess i'll just have to get used to life with ssh....

and yeah it would be great if you guys could offer some suggestions as to how i can do things such as renaming a whole bunch of files or changing permission quickly

thanks a bunch!

Another one that many of us use is SmartFTP at www.smartftp.com and for personal use is free. You'll have to judge which is right for you but the pay version is only $29.95 so it's good in either case that suits your needs.

Renaming files is a harder one... there are few utilities that make this easy. :)

ok thanks guys, you've been more than helpful....

and having finally scrolled down to the bottom of the list of all the forums, i realise that there are more appropriate places to ask technical questions, so i guess i better stop

thanks again and happy holidays to you all