Money Transfer

AlanV

I'm selling some cards to someone in Belgium, and I'm wondering what the best way to recieve payment from them is.

Wire transfer seems like the safest way, but aren't there huge fees associated with that?

Then I looked at PayPal, but I don't really trust them (having read a ton of PayPal horror stories), and it's a ton of work to recieve one payment (after which I would clsoe the account).

Any suggestions?

Don't know what would be best for you Alan but I do know wire transfers incur costs. My wife and I have transferred money to Canada and it was $20 for $1000 US funds transferred.

I'd check with your bank and see what they charge for transfers.

Edited by TCH-Bruce

My husband deals with overseas buyers all the time on eBay (he sells Magic cards). He has taken hundreds of payments via PayPal and has not had a problem. It's one of the safest ways to do it and the fees are lower than a wire transfer. As long as you have proof that you sent the product, you should be fine. The only real problem with PayPal comes when selling "virtual" items such as characters from EverQuest, DAoC, etc. You have no way to prove that you delivered the product, therefore they can back out of the payment with little recourse.

People in other countries can also buy a money order in US dollars and send it to you. This is a good option too - it just takes longer.

Hmm...

Thanks for the replies :)

I actually think I'm going to turn down her offer and go with a buyer in the US instead.

A lot easier to deal with :)

They're booster boxes of Star Trek cards, so it would be a (very) large package... incurring about $50 postage overseas >_<

I have to agree with the PayPal thing being a good way to go. Most folks that had problems with PayPal were in the early days and/or were often not the brightest bulbs on the tree.

However, accepting Credit Card payments from a buyer without a PP account takes a special account type, if memory serves me

My wife and I have only had one dispute with a payment since we opened our account over 2 years ago and it was handled fast and professionally. Plus, you get a free $5 just for signing up!

Edited by TCH-Glenn