Full Screen

TCH-Thomas

I need a script which forces the webbrowser window to be full screen when the visitor arrives at the url. It must be automatic without the need of clicking buttons etc because its a one page site. (No its no advertising or anything bad like that. Just wait and see, its soon christmas :dance: )

I found this script somewhere on the net (and lots more that looked similar to me):

><script>
<!--
window.open("index.htm","fs","fullscreen=yes")
//-->
</script>

This script doesn´t work for some reason.

Does anyone know of a script that do work in I.E and FF or knows why the above doesn´t?

Me neither, but you guys make it sound like it will disable all ways of closing the page, which as I understand it will not. If it disabled the little x in the right top corner or was a nasty pop under I could understand.

But its probably something bad with it even if good intentions.

So let us just drop it. :dance:

Edited by TCH-Thomas

Thomas,

While I do not agree with the use of the full screen code, it does not violate any rules on the TCH forums.

I have seen this code used on a site and can verify that it did work.

Bill

<script language="javascript">

<!--

//-----------------------------------

// Detect Version

// Detects the version # of browser

// and returns the number

function detectVersion()

{

version = parseInt(navigator.appVersion);

return version;

}

// Detect OS

// Detects the operating system and

// returns text 'macintosh' or 'windows'

function detectOS()

{

if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Win') == -1) {

OS = 'Macintosh';

} else {

OS = 'Windows';

}

return OS;

}

// Detect Browser

// Detects browser name and returns

// 'IE' or 'Netscape'

function detectBrowser()

{

if(navigator.appName.indexOf('Netscape') == -1) {

browser = 'IE';

} else {

browser = 'Netscape';

}

return browser;

}

// Fullscreen()

// This function uses the above functions

// together for detection, then launches the

// fullscreen site

//

//

// IMPORTANT FILES BELOW:

// oldbrowser.html - If user uses version 3 or below, it goes to this page.

// you could have a message on that page stating to upgrade the browser, or

// have that page as a static HTML site.

//

// windowversion.html - Since IE is required for true full-screen, the netscape

// solution is a maximized menu-less window. You can replace windowversion.html

// with the "full screen" html file if you'd like, but this leaves the option

// open to have a different page appear if the user has netscape.

//

// thefullscreen.html - If all is good, this will be the file we want people to

// see in full-screen mode.

//

// HOW TO GET RID OF 'GHOST' SCROLLBARS

// If you test out your fullscreen website and you see a 'ghost' scrollbar

// on the right (vertically), simply put your fullscreen site in a frameset,

// with the top frame 100%, bottom frame is hidden, and the problem dissappears.

//

// note: if you do a frameset, make sure you make your java script:self.close()

// button in flash target "parent".

function FullScreen(){

var adjWidth;

var adjHeight;

if((detectOS() == 'Macintosh') && (detectBrowser() == 'Netscape')) {

adjWidth = 20;

adjHeight = 35;

}

if((detectOS() == 'Macintosh') && (detectBrowser() == 'IE')) {

adjWidth = 20;

adjHeight = 35;

winOptions = 'fullscreen=yes';

}

if((detectOS() == 'Windows') && (detectBrowser() == 'Netscape')) {

adjWidth = 30;

adjHeight = 30;

}

if(detectVersion()

self.location.href = 'oldbrowser.html';

} else {

var winWidth = screen.availWidth - adjWidth;

var winHeight = screen.availHeight - adjHeight;

var winSize = 'width=' + winWidth + ',height=' + winHeight;

var thewindow = window.open('windowversion.html', 'WindowName', winSize);

thewindow.moveTo(0,0);

}

}

function MakeItSo(){

if((detectOS() == 'Windows') && (detectBrowser() == 'IE')) {

window.open('thefullscreen.html','windowname','fullscreen=yes');

} else {

onload=FullScreen();

}

}

// -->

Thomas, the majority of folks out there do not want you messing around with their browser size. We have it set to a specific size for a reason...and we want to keep it that way. As others have mentioned, if I run into a site that insists on resizing my browser I leave with out reading and I don't go back. Its rude to force someone to do what you want or to not get their approval before doing it.

I think folks are jumping on you because you didn't say what you were thinking... that stinking language thing again :)

What I understand you wanting is to open at resolution size but get rid of the navigation, scroll and other bars. Leaving the menu and/or title in place so folks are easily able to close the window when done reading the gift.

As "fullscreeen" means no menu or any visible means to close the browser, I think the correct wording should have been "Open a browser window as maximized, and only the menu and/or title bar visible"

Also, as folks seem to be unaware, this is just a holiday card from Thomas to certain folks. I would hope all of us can realize that he is not going to be trying to sell something or invade our lives with a simple thing like this.

What was posted above from Bill, tweaked with the info from Dick will get you what you want, and without causing major issues with folks. Besides, if they ignore it because of the manner in which it is presented, then fooey, mmkay.

What I understand you wanting is to open at resolution size but get rid of the navigation, scroll and other bars. Leaving the menu and/or title in place so folks are easily able to close the window when done reading the gift.
Yes

As "fullscreeen" means no menu or any visible means to close the browser, I think the correct wording should have been "Open a browser window as maximized, and only the menu and/or title bar visible"

Ok, I didnt know that. Full screen was what I was mostly told it was called when google´ing.

Also, as folks seem to be unaware, this is just a holiday card from Thomas to certain folks. I would hope all of us can realize that he is not going to be trying to sell something or invade our lives with a simple thing like this.

Ok, back to drawing board since you now told what it was. :dance: This is why I said "No its no advertising or anything bad like that. Just wait and see, its soon christmas" in my original post.

Since I now have understood that what I want to do is called "maximized" in good web-english I want to officially apologize to everyone to have this thread turn to something bad for a while. I as 99% of all internet users hates those full screens that Glenn mentions too. I would never ever do anything that I hate too such as what I now know is what I did not want to do originally or pop ups/unders etc.

Thanks to everyone! :)

Sorry if I seemed to "jump" on you Thomas, that was not my intent. I was trying to explain why I didn't think forcing a full screen on folks was a good idea. Even after the explanation I think I see a possible reasons why I wouldn't like it but that will probably need a little testing to see if its true.

What I am thinking here is a Windows "feature" where it automatically "remembers" the IE window size and position when you close it. So if someone opens this christmas card and it opens full screen and with minimal buttons. They will click the "X" and windows will remember these settings when they open the browser the next time to browse and will have to reset everything back they way they had it.

Again sorry if I seemed harsh, I was just replying based on the info at the time :)

Thomas, another option that folks have not mentioned:

Post a statement similar to one I use for our reference library cd:

For best viewing, press your F11 key on the keyboard,

or click (image of button) on the toolbar to make the window full size now. Do it again to return to normal mode.

This way your visitor is told how to maximize their browser (works in IE and Firefox) but you are not hijacking their settings.

-Samantha

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I just joined forum after reading interesting pov's on using full screen.

I'm setting up a service for couples getting married...before marriage: all details of where, when, rsvp form, gift list, guestbook etc...; after marriage: guestbook, thank you page, streaming video clips and PHOTOGRAPHS...this is part of the reason I decided to use full screen when freinds and family log in to the Members Area to view private pages, video, photos etc.

There are two main concerns/reasons for me:

1. Security in general; (some couples I have spoken to put the privacy of there pages as paramount as to wether they would use the service) and, although I am no expert, I think along with a secure login application, using frames and going full screen will help in hiding as much unneeded info as possible.

2. Images; I know this is a huge topic and to all intents and purposes we will never be able to stop unauthorised copying/use of images (we put them up there and they've got to get onto the users machine to view them) but limiting the more obvious ways of getting their hands on them is a start. Feedback from photographers is that this is a big concern and they will watermark a copyright notice to stop this (after sales of images is a further source of income for them), simple and effective, but the whole point of my service is the presentation of video and photos for a quality enjoyable user experience, copyrighted images just ruin it for me/customers.

So am I right in saying that if they cannot right-click ("WHAT!!!" I hear you say, I know I hate it too! and I know you can disable js but one more level?), cannot go 'File>Save As', are the only options PrtScn, which would be virtually useless at 92dpi, or going to Temp Internet Files and finding them?

I take on board points about how annoying it is to come accross fs (and noR-click!) and will endeavour to have explanatory/warning notes to users as to why we use them (along with 'close window' on every page). IMHO it is a private members page so is somewhat different to general surfing the net. If I invited you in to my house I would ask you to take your shoes off...I'm rambling now, better sign off!

I look forward to getting shot down in flames both technically and ethically as it's the best way for me to learn!

If you want to visit site it is at http://www.webcastweddings.co.uk/index.htm , as I said it is under construction so main site is just structure, Members Area is about 50% done. Follow 'Members Area' (top right) at the moment uname=guest, pword=donna.

Sorry for such longwinded first post!

So you are thinking that images cannot be captured this way?

Sorry, but I used IE to view the site and just pointed at your image and was able to save it using the tools built into IE (save, print, email, etc). See attached image.

BTW, nice looking site.

prewelcome.jpg