Transferring A Domain To Tch

MellyBelly

Ok I have my other domain http://misplaced-muse.org hosted right now with pinchpenny and I want to transfer my domain name over to TCH. My domain isn't up for renewal until February 4th. If I transfer my domain name over here, is there any charge? And will it effect the rest of my hosting at PP? I don't want to wait to long to move my domain name and then not be able to do it for awhile, but I won't have the money to renew the actual hosting until closer to my expiration date.

I mainly want to transfer my domain name here now, and then closer to my expiration date buy the hosting for it through TCH. I'm just worried if I transfer it here, it will mess up the rest of my hosting at PP.

I also have a question about the multiple sites with one account thing. My misplaced-muse.org domain hosts my blog, my doll site, my country graphic site, as well as a forum and some of my friends doll sites. They are all listed under subdomain.misplaced-muse.org. (No domains pointing to the subdomains) Would I not be able to do that anymore if I switched to TCH hosting? I've been hosting a few of my friends for awhile now and I would hate to tell them they need a new host when they had a problem getting hosted in the first place. I don't plan on adding any new hostees to my domain though.

hi, i have sort of a similar question. i've been hosting a site at freeservers.com for a few years and i decided to switch to TCH. Monday evening, I purchased the plan and transferred my domain. Do I have to do anything else or will my address eventually point to my TCH account instead of my old freeservers account? I was just worried that it has been 3 days and nothing seems to have happened yet.

Hi and welcome to your extended family :P

If you have set the nameservers to point to ns1.totalchoicehosting.com and ns2.totalchoicehosting.com, you should have nothing to worry about.

These updates around the world usually takes 24-72 hours, but they can take longer.

Please be patient with us, we are trying to clear this up. Yes it was changed at one point in time but the wording appears to be the same. I'm not sure if it was ever changed in the AUP or if the policy has changed agian. Give us a few moments to verify the current policy.

Edited by TCH-Dick

From the looks of the information that TCH-Dick has posted yes you are able to use your subdomains to host other content as long as you don't point a domain name at them.

But you should not be referring to yourself as a hostee (free or otherwise) without having a reseller account.

In response to Julie's question...

There can be a few variables here.

Hosting and registration of a domain name are two different things.

If you purchased hosting only, then you need to change or have your registrar change the NameServers for your A-Record (the thing that states where your site is hosted). This change can take from 24 to 72 hours or longer (this time period and what happens during it is called Propagation), depending on where in the world visitors to the site are compared to where the site is hosted.

If you purchased domain name registration, then it gets interesting sometimes. Although, most of the time it is smooth as glass.

your current registrar (where you originally registered the domain name) has to be informed of the change of record. This is usually automatically done for you by the new registrar (TCH in this case). If the registrar has stipulations in your agreement that you cannot move for a certain period after registration or before renewal, then you are stuck until that time period expires. Also, they may require intervention from you in the form of responding to a change request. This is done for your protection so no one can steal your domain from underneath you. You need to check the email address you used when registering the domain name and see if the current registrar has sent you any email regarding a change of record.

You may also open a service ticket with TCH (link at the top of this page) to let them help you through this.

One other, and seldom experienced, issue that can come of a new hosting account is a problem with the billing information. You will know that this is not the problem if you have received the email from TCH that everything is set up, and you have a server number for your site and information on how to access your site before propagation has completed.

Welcome to the Family and we'll see ya around on the boards!

If you want access to the family only forum, please send me or one of the other moderators a Private Message with you DOMAIN NAME (so we can verify hosting with TCH) and we'll reply with the password.

Edited by TCH-Glenn

Ok I have another question about transferring. I went ahead and tried to transfer my domain to TCH and it said they accepted paypal and it would take the funds right out of your paypal account. Well when I went to accept the license thing, it took me to paypal but it wanted me to add a credit card before I could do anything else. I do not own a credit card. I have money in my paypal account to cover the charges, but it wouldn't let me do anything unless I added a credit card first.

I don't remember having that problem when I registered and purchased my other domain name through TCH.

Ok I have another question about transferring. I went ahead and tried to transfer my domain to TCH and it said they accepted paypal and it would take the funds right out of your paypal account. Well when I went to accept the license thing, it took me to paypal but it wanted me to add a credit card before I could do anything else. I do not own a credit card. I have money in my paypal account to cover the charges, but it wouldn't let me do anything unless I added a credit card first.

I don't remember having that problem when I registered and purchased my other domain name through TCH.

This is something that I find a bit odd as well. I would reccomend that you open a Help Desk ticket for this one and address it to Billing. They should be able to get you sorted out. However, it does sound like a PayPal thing to me.

I have a site hosted by eclipsehosting.com and have been thinking about moving. TCH looks like what I'm looking for but my problem is with my domain name. When I signed up with eclipse they took care of getting my domain for me and I don't have any control over my domain name except with them. Bulk registrar I think. Can TCH take care of moving my domain name or do I have to first move it to someone like network solutions?

Thanks in advance...

Hello davecjr,

Unfortunatly, if the host is bulk regestering the domains, and you did not register it yourself, you will need to talk to the person who registered the domain, and ask them about transfering it to the registrar you want to host it at ( as that is the only one with access to the transfer options at the registrar it is currently registered at, and they own the domain name.)

Or atleast, that is how it has to be done with Godaddy.

Hope this helps.

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum :(

Is your e-mail listed as the contact address for your domain?

Do a whois to see

www.whois.sc/yourdomain

If its your e-mail, you may be able to transfer it to another domain registar.

If you can transfer it to TCH (wildwest) or get another domain name here

it will be yours and only you will have control of it through a web based control panel where you can change the DNS (where it points to).

There are some new rules for transfering domains that other can fill you in on,

but as I understand it, if you are listed as the contact address,

you can do it even without the current domain registars aproval.

The first thing is, are you listed as the contact address?

Edited by TCH-Don