planetphillip

Move A Website

Hi,

I have two websites hosted at TCH and I want move one to become a subdomain to the other one. Once the move is complete I will change the DNS to point to the root of the second site, I know I can't point it to a subdomain unless I have either a dedicated server or a resellers account. I plan to let the domain name expires (Feb 05) and just put a prominent link on the index page. I have a number of questions.

1. Is this something I can do via Cpanel or do TCH need to do this?

2. Once the move is made I will need to change a few details in the phpbb forum db, will it appear automatically in MYphpAdmin?

3. I have used the word "move" but what I really mean is copy. Can TCH/I copy the files across, leaving the original ones working, before changing my DNS?

Obviously I will need to make a few changes to the links within the site but have I forgotten anything?

TIA

Phillip

If I understand where you are heading correctly...

In cpanel create the subdomain and it will create a folder with that name. You would then download all the files and folders and then upload them again into this new subdomain folder. Or you could probably submit a help desk ticket and they could copy it.

At this point you will end up with two sites, one with the old domain and account and one with the new subdomain. Change the links and let the old just expire.

The problem lies in transferring the databases, and so the installed scripts (boards, etc)...

That you might need TCH to help with

AlanV  Posted on Dec 5 2004, 02:16 PM

The problem lies in transferring the databases, and so the installed scripts (boards, etc)...

Exactly what I was thinkiing. I'm more than comfortable moving the files via FTP, it was the dbs that I was really concerned about.

Does the other site that you want to move have cpanel?

Edited by TCH-Thomas

Ok, sorry I missed that part when reading it. ;)

I think the support people only transfer sites to new root directories, but I had some problem when moving my sites to a reseller account which ended with the support people moving a site to a subfolder for me which is what you want to do as I understand.

It wont hurt to submit a ticket and ask them. :)

As for the databases, there is a simple way of making back ups of them in cpanel, which I strongly recommend you to do what ever way you transfer your site to a subdomain. Then if the move of databases goes wrong you have a backup which should be easily restored.

The move has been made and everything went smoothly.

For those of you that are interested here's how I did it.

1. Created a new folder within my root of the destination domain.

2. FTP'd exact folder structure and files into new folder.

3. Backed up dbs.

4. Created new dbs in the new domain.

5. Uploaded the back ups mentioned above.

6. Edited certain settings with the db tables (Domain names, folder locations etc.)

7. Edited config.php files for my phpBB forum and my Coppermine gallery.

8. Edited a few .htm files to update the links.

9. Checked everything was working. (Seems OK atm)

10. Renamed ALL old folders on old site to avoid direct linking.

11. Uploaded new index page explaining the move and giving new address. I chose not to forward visitors automatically.

Hopefully that will either help somebody considering doing something similar or at least ease their mind as to how difficult it could be.

Thanks to all the people who replied.

Phillip

1. Created a new folder within my root of the destination domain.

2. FTP'd exact folder structure and files into new folder.

3. Backed up dbs.

4. Created new dbs in the new domain.

5. Uploaded the back ups mentioned above.

6. Edited certain settings with the db tables (Domain names, folder locations etc.)

7. Edited config.php files for my phpBB forum and my Coppermine gallery.

8. Edited a few .htm files to update the links.

9. Checked everything was working. (Seems OK atm)

11. Uploaded new index page explaining the move and giving new address. I chose not to forward visitors automatically.

Hopefully that will either help somebody considering doing something similar or at least ease their mind as to how difficult it could be.

Phillip

Did you have to chmod scripts and such again?

Alan,

No the permissions , if that's what you mean, seemed to stay the same.

One thing I forgot to do was add some kind of error catch, so I edited the htacccess file and added this line:

ErrorDocument 404 http://www.blazebolden.com/index.html

Which simply catches all 404s and sends them to the index page.

Fortunately the site I was moving was pretty simply.

1.  Created a new folder within my root of the destination domain.

2.  FTP'd exact folder structure and files into new folder.

3.  Backed up dbs.

4.  Created new dbs in the new domain.

5.  Uploaded the back ups mentioned above.

6.  Edited certain settings with the db tables (Domain names, folder locations etc.)

7.  Edited config.php files for my phpBB forum and my Coppermine gallery.

8.  Edited a few .htm files to update the links.

9.  Checked everything was working.  (Seems OK atm)

11. Uploaded new index page explaining the move and giving new address.  I chose not to forward visitors automatically.

Phillip

Did you have to chmod scripts and such again?

That was to be my question. I'm currently a reseller and may bump up my reseller account or go with a dedicated server. I'm trying to put it off until I actually see the sites I'm supposed to get come through. At the same time I'm wondering if I start hosting a ton of sites and need to move everything, I don't want to create a headache for myself.

Two questions here I guess ... if I go up a level or two with the reseller account, do I move anything? The other would be if I go dedicated, do I move everything or can TCH?

Thanks.