Secure Sites And Forms And Emails

Hi Gang, I have been asked to build a site for a mortgage co. that would include a form asking for personal and financial info. I have never worked with secure sites and have some questions please?

I know totalchoice support ssl sites, do i request it when ordering or do i turn it on somehow?

Do I just secure the directory or the form page asking for the info?

If people fill out a secure form how do I secure it when it is emailed?

thanks for any info!!!!! Lynn

OK I think I have a handle on how the shared ssl certificate works. I am still struggling with how to do the email securely?

Does anyone have any suggestions as how to secure the email, or would it be secure it I just have the client access the eamil via cpanel and not download to outlook?

thanks Lynn

OK I think I have a handle on how the shared ssl certificate works.  I am still struggling with how to do the email securely?

In reality, email is not a good way to collect financial information. Email was never built to be a secure communication method. You would be much better off collecting that information in a secure database, and then accessing the database to get the information out. The problem with email is it's transferred in plain text, stored on the server in plain text, and (even if you use pop or imap over SSL to download it) stored in plain text on your PC.

If your email clients supports SMTP over SSL, you could enable that and try port 465 at mail.******

This would only be for sending email, and this works great for the connection between you and your server, but it'll still go from the server to the ultimate destination over a non-encrypted connection.