Email Issues

ridley263

Since the last 2 weeks or so, I am not recieving all email that is sent to me. I would say I get about 25% of all email sent. I confirmed this by having a group of normal contacts send emails. I only got about 25% of them (I tried this multiple times or several days).

I know my email client works, and I also confirm the mesages are on the server using the CPanel. I have sent a trouble ticket in and the tech was able to use the email just fine. However, the probelm is still there.

I am not really sure what to do at this point, two weeks ago I was receving email with no problems.

Just wondering is anyone had some ideas of where to troubleshoot further. As I said, the tech support was able to get the email to work so they see no problem. And it does work... just not all the time.

Thanks.

I have been using the webmail to check the email. I have been doing this to confirm that the client is actualy downloading everything from the server. The client so far works fine. The problem is still that I am not getting everything sent to me (in other words I am not seeign it anywhere, webmail or otherwise). I sent myself several emails this weeknd from a hotmail account, only 1 made it. I have had friends emailing tests this weekend also, and recieved only a few.

I don't know of anything on my end that could be causing this. I was able to recieve email fine from all my contacts just a few weeks ago.

I should also add that I'm looking at switching hosts as soon as possible, unless this is fixed straight away -- I don't mind if my websites are down for an hour or two, but vanishing email is really not something I can live with, even for a day. I've only just found out now that there are literally dozens and dozens of emails I was supposed to receive over the past few weeks, and many of them were critical to travel plans and such.

Can we get an update on this ASAP?

I'm sorry you are missing email. But the forums are not monitored by staff and are not for one on one support. The Mods do not have access to the servers.

Please open a Help Desk ticket to support. They are the only ones that can help with server issues.

Thank you.

Edited by TCH-Bruce

I think it would be best to open a helpdesk ticket to get a prompt resolve to your problem. Here are a few thoughts on the situation:

1) If for some reason the pop server was unavailable the sending server attempts to resend the email over and over for at least 24 hours. I doubt if a TCH service would be down that long.

2) Could it be some other mail client is deleting mail from the server. (mobile mail client, etc.)?

3) Is it possible there is a sending problem on the other end. Some ISP block the port 25 (SMTP) or maybe their mail queue is not working right.

4) A antivirus program could be stopping outgoing mail if it is infected with a virus.

Just a few thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
I should also add that I'm looking at switching hosts as soon as possible, unless this is fixed straight away -- I don't mind if my websites are down for an hour or two, but vanishing email is really not something I can live with, even for a day. I've only just found out now that there are literally dozens and dozens of emails I was supposed to receive over the past few weeks, and many of them were critical to travel plans and such.

Can we get an update on this ASAP?

I, too, am having email issues. For my client on Server 66 (terriwright.com), some emails have arrived 8 to 24 hours late, and some have not arrived at all. There also seem to be problems sending mail through mail.terriwright.com.

I have submitted a trouble ticket about it but all the tech support did was log on to my client's webmail and check to see if mail could be sent/received (not much of a test for an *intermittent* problem). I included automated error messages received by my client from Mailer-Daemon@server66.totalchoicehosting.com (ie. "Delay reason: Remote host netlojix.com.netlojix.mail1.psmtp.com [64.18.4.10] closed connection in response to end of data") that one would think could help track down the problem.

The problems have worsened again today so I've reopened the trouble ticket and I hope a solution will be forthcoming.

I have been using TCH for years with many clients as well as for myself due to the great service and reliability you guys have. I hope this is an anomaly. This needs to be fixed or my clients and I will have to find a new hosting service.

Take this with a grain of salt as this MAY not be the issue here. The error given is an issue with the remote server not accepting the email. If that is the case then it is matter of finding out why.

Just something to ponder while waiting on an official answer from your ticket.

I remember when I was on another host. Now and then I'd have problems with mail. I had mail forwarded to an ISP account, as well as another account. One of the servers the mail was forwarded to would not always receive the mail. Something about closing the connection too early or something.

My old host was insecure, so I'd download the maillog for the whole server and trouble shoot it. These things happen. I don't know if the problem was with my webhost's mail server or my ISP's.

I know the support staff here are capable of checking the maillog, since they've done so for me before when troubleshooting. One even sent me a part of the file (only the part having to do with my domain).

So you should ask them to check the maillog during a period when you've done controlled tests and know mail is missing. If the error is on the TCH server, then it should show up in the log, maybe as a missed connection of some sort.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem and this was the solution. When I signed up, they gave me a login. Then I added a login that I use regularly. I only had one of those in my pop3 client (Outlook). When I looked for mail when not at home, I was using the login they gave me instead of the other one (I was very confused!). Anyway, once they had me add the second login to Outlook, everything was fine. In my case, messages seemed to be left behind, not coming down to Outlook. Sounds like the same thing.

Don't switch! This place gives really great service!