Oscommerce - Newbie's Questions

Sheila

I apologise if this has been asked before - I've looked through the topics & found partial answers but not all of what I need to know :)

I would like to add a cart to my site but only for one section. What I don't want is to convert the whole site into a shopping cart & I've discovered some carts are really complete CMS, which is not for me.

So, if I create a subdomain, can I install the cart there & simply link to it from the relevent page on my main site? I ought to say right here that php & mysql are new ground for me - you have before you a total newbie to them! I did manage to create the mysql database & arrange a shared SSL certificate though, so I'm learning B)

Thanks for any advice you can give. I had a look at Zen Cart which seems terrific, but their support team advised I ought to have my whole site switched to php & powered by zcart :D

*Edit* I created the subdomain but attempting to install osCommerce from my cPanel Addon Scripts - it tells me I have to use a top level directory & won't install in the subdomain. Hmm.....any help gratefully accepted!

*Edit* I created the subdomain but attempting to install osCommerce from my cPanel Addon Scripts - it tells me I have to use a top level directory & won't install in the subdomain. Hmm.....any help gratefully accepted!

That is just saying that you can install cPanel's osCommerce in

store.yoursite.com (yoursite.com/store/)

but not

store.yoursite.com/mystore/ (yoursite.com/store/mystore/)

If you want to have it in a subdomain, do not create the subdomain first.

Allow cPanel to install osCommerce in the subfolder then use SubDomain Maintenance to setup you subdomain. Otherwise cpanel will tel you that the directory already exists and will not install osCommerce.

Thanks for the welcome guys :D

And thanks for the tip on setting up - I'll give that a go! Once I've achieved the cart in a subdomain, can the rest of my site stay .htm rather than it all having to go over to .php? If it has to become .php I'm going to be lost again :blink:

Sorry to keep asking the same questions, but I'm on a pretty steep learning curve here - I may be back with more for you ;)

I browsed the forum before I posted & I certainly got the family feeling!! It's very reassuring to know I can bring a problem in here & get such a great response, but then I've noticed that happens all the way through with TCH. It was the best move I've ever made :P

My osC progress has been put on hold while I'm busy with a site design for someone, but I'll be back to it as soon as I can make the time.

Teddy's just as cute now he's a 2 year old as he was in my avatar pic btw :(

• 2 weeks later...

Edited:

We love visitors but they must abide by the rules. This board is for members of TotalChoice Hosting to help each other. While having a site hosted by TCH is not a requirement to participate please follow the rules.

No Advertising

Thank you and enjoy your stay!

Edited by TCH-Don