Virus Season

Virtual Imager

NAV deleted 3 viruses today... that's really a lot for me. I haven't received any for at least a couple of months. These are kind of strange though because only one seemed to come from an email which NAV deleted... the other two were notification pop-ups saying that a virus was found on my computer and access was denied. But there was no deleted email. What's that all about? I just ran a full scan and nothing else was found. Since NAV scans everything as it comes in, is it necessary to run these scans anyway? And since today it found viruses on my computer that were not from emails, does that mean it's performing it's own scans and I needn't go into the program and tell it to scan?

Since NAV scans everything as it comes in, is it necessary to run these scans anyway?
Yes

And since today it found viruses on my computer that were not from emails, does that mean it's performing it's own scans and I needn't go into the program and tell it to scan?

Not exactly sure what you mean, but a virus can come in to your computer through email, downloaded programs or programs you install from discs, since they figured out how to include bad (virus?) code in to images I´d say photo discs are a risk too, and many many more ways. It is always best to let norton do both weekly scans (auto-starting) and *manual scans every now and then. AND enable every automatic setting there is. BUT the settings for how norton should treat a virus or threat can be questionable. Nortons recommended settings are not always the best I found out.

* = I found 2 viruses a couple of days ago, which I KNOW I did not get through the auto-scanned files.

Edited by TCH-Thomas

Hi VI, do you have the current Windows updates installed? The recent SP2 update to Windows XP had a fix for a security hole which allowed people to install a virus on computers without using email or the web.

Do you have a firewall installed? Do you have Spyware and Adware programs installed and do you regularly run them. All these are necessary to protect yourself.

There are ways that your system could be infected and the above are a few more things you will need to start doing. Always keep up-to-date with Windows Update. Regularly scan for Virus and also ad scan for ads, trojans, and Spyware.

Thanks. I've got SP2 and a firewall. I guess I need to run NAV more often and not depend on it just detecting stuff as it comes in (at least that's what I understand Thomas to be saying). I did change the default settings in Norton back when I installed it... to deny access to infected files or delete emails rather than to repair and quarantine.

What spyware and adware programs do you recommend Madman?

Any thoughts on why I got pounded so hard yesterday, or do you think it was just coincidence?

Any thoughts on why I got pounded so hard yesterday, or do you think it was just coincidence?
I don't think you were hit that hard, its just a combination of events that appears to you as being excessive. :dance:

Make that four.

What could be happening? Got this email from NAV: Norton AntiVirus deleted the following email message because it was infected with a virus:

This was probably one of the hundreds of email virus that are out now. Nothing you can do and you are protected with Nortons.

I think the other 3 you said you found were just left-overs or trojans dropped by infected web pages. You did not specify any names so I am just guessing here. Without names from Norton I can't look them up to see or explain what you had.

What spyware and adware programs do you recommend Madman?

I posted a reply to someone in another thread and I'll track it down for you to read, Instead of retyping it all again. :dance: But I have to run out for lunch right now and will look when I get back.

The programs are AdAware and Spybot.

Back from a quick lunch.

My post here:

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...indpost&p=61026

A good info site posted by Andy in that thread:

h_tp://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Spybot:

h_tp://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

AdAware:

h_tp://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

I guess I need to run NAV more often and not depend on it just detecting stuff as it comes in (at least that's what I understand Thomas to be saying).

What I mean is you must do atleast one or two manual full system scans per week or even more often if possible (which can be set to be done automatic) and not only trust the auto-protect function for emails etc.

Edited by TCH-Thomas

Has anyone else had virii saved in the Shared Documents Folder?

Odd thing, I was in the Shared Documents folder, and I saw 3 executables in there which were OBVIOUSLY not saved by me. Only my wife and I use the computer, and she said she has never saved anything in that shared folder (I trust here, she does know a bit about comptuers).

Is this a common place for a virus to store files?