tony_arc

How Do I Start Making An Index Page?

i have just registered my site on... and when i go to my site... it shows all my files... i was wondering how i can make an index page and where to place it? thx

Create a new page in FrontPage and save it as index.htm or index.html... then publish that page up to your site, and you have it in place... that's it. The index page is generally the home page of that directory, in this case the home page of your web site.

I must be the biggest :P in the world. I uploaded my main site last night, nothing showed up, and somehow the stuff didn't go into the public folder like I told it to. Disobedient files! Then I uploaded my subdomain and NOTHING! Aaaaaaah! I'm using Fontpage, I watched the tutorial but I had no idea what I was supposed to do about the extensions. ~sigh~ I have a big "L" on my forhead.

Should I just put this in DreamWeaver? Would it be easier?

Frontpage extensions should be enabled on your site ... you can check in your Control Panel to see if they are, if not enable them, and then republish your whole site again with Frontpage, that should take care of the issue. If not, suggest you contact TECH Support for their feedback.

I use FrontPage and Dreamweaver and Antechinus for hard coding or PHP coding. I find FrontPage to be much easier to use than Dreamweaver, the end result of the site looks better. It is a matter of choice as to which you use and as to why. Ease and speed are my direction, thus FrontPage 2003 for 98% of my web work, the other 2% is mostly in Antechinus.

Blessings on this day to you ...

Thank you for your help. Obviously it has been a long time since I learned this stuff in school. Things are different anyway. I obviously don't know what I'm doing anymore. I finally got some things loaded but I had to manually put them in the public folder. Nothing I put up goes there. I can't figure out how to make the subdomain so I manually make a folder for it under public and manually moved things into it. What a pain in the butt! I have to go back and do it again because it asked if I wanted to overwrite the images folder, I said no and now my background is missing. Aaaah! This is why it has taken me a year and a half to get the nerve up to do this. I've read the literature here, but it assumes that you know or remember what you're doing.

I had the extensions set, but reinstalled them. It shows a subdomain that I tried to create before I just added the folder, and I tried to install the extensions and nothing happens. I'm going to have to get a book. Any suggestions on a good kindergarten level book? I have 2000 somewhere, but I'm sure much of it does not apply anymore.

You can have a look -- don't laugh. It's not finished, but I wanted to get something up. www.momeplace.com

PS I can't WAIT until I put the auction site up...that's going to be a hoot!

Did you look at the link to the help site above?

it might help to put things where you want.

As to subdomains, you have to create them in cpanel

under subdomain management > create

the subdomain is just a shorcut to the folders cpanel creates and you have to publish to the folder.

Also we all need an ftp program at some time.

Its easier to look at your folders than using cpanels file manager.

But for now use cpanel > file manage to be sure your images are where you want and the case is correct.

In file manager click on the folder icon to go inside not the name.

Hi Don,

Yes, I read a good share of it. I only understood about 50% of it. It's just me, I've been away from this stuff for so long, also I had just taken it in school and not used it in the real world very much. I noticed that there is a tutorial link not working, it's the one to a member's page I think. http://www.saint52.com/other/FPtips/. Also the "how to FTP" is actually "password protecting." Anyway, I'm going to go back to the page and click on some more of the links maybe I missed something (probably did!).

About the subdomains: I had make the subdomains like you said, I see them listed when I look under manage subdomains, but I do not see any folders for them.

Well, I'm going to go and look for a book tomorrow. I need one of those that say:

A. do this

B. do this

C. do this

simple with big pictures. LOL

Thank you for your help.

I hope you had a great day!

Tamie

If you are looking with cpanels file manager

be sure to click on the folder icon for public_html

to go inside to where your files and folders for subdomains are.

For any one else,

the public_html folder is where you put your files as per your welcome e-mail.

This page may be the most help for frontpage.

Which page is protected?

I agree, a book can be the most help as it will go into greater detail.

Thank you Don.

Oh, what I meant to say was that the tutorial named "how to FTP" is actually the another copy of the tutorial "password protecting."

Unfortunately I lost track of my welcome letter. I've had this space for over 1-1/2 and was never brave enough to attempt using it. Dumb, I know.