"The Pit Bull Problem"

borfast

I am not the big time dog lover that most guys are. In fact, I am afraid of large dogs that I don't know thanks to being attacked as a small child.

I joke and kid that small dogs are akin to footballs, even.

However, I am BIG on humane treatment of all animals, even those used for food, but especially for those considered pets.

I completely understand that most animal behavoirs against humans are learned, like pavlovian responses. And I am also a BIG proponent of making the punishment fit the crime. You don't treat an animal that is dependent on your for food, love and shelter with even the basic necessities... you get the same in return as far as I am concerned.

I feel the same for all crimes, and take this from the Bible's oft overlooked "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth."

Enough on that. Seeing those images only adds to the burn that I feel for anyone who mistreats another living creature, pet, wild aniumal, human, whatever. Except diseased, biting or stinging insects... those can be taken care of.

"Pick up a street animal, feed it and it will not bite you:

This is the fundamental difference between animal and man."

In Portugues:

"Recolha um animal de rua, dê-lhe de comer e ele não lhe molestará:

Eis a diferença fundamental entre o animal e o homem"

My doggy is half pit-bull, we don't know what her father was, but she's the most loving dog I've ever met. Yes, she does have bark but very little bite. Dogs are like kids, they'll learn hate if u teach them hate.

There's a pic of her in the yard attached. Ain't she a cutie?!

later,

!!blue

post-33-1102373683_thumb.jpg

Personally, I love dogs.

But as a word of caution, Bull Dogs can and sometimes do turn on their owners for no reason...

My Dog 'Tiny' is full blooded red nose pit, and after living inside with me for almost two years, he attacked me, unprovoked btw(as I have NEVER been mean to him), put a few tooth holes in my foot and ripped my pants up, Lucky my dad was there. They made me put him in the pin out back. :lol:

Edit-> And I did have him since he was a pup, his mom was my dog and his dad was my friends, so I know they where both treated good. He was one out of 12 that lived past the first 3 weeks though :S.

Nice flash movie though. :D

On behavior issues....

Most breeds are bred for a specific purpose. I'm sure most people will agree with that? Hounds for hunting, Shepherds for herding, Terriers often for rodent-hunting, etc.

Unfortunately, pit bulls, as well as some of the other "bad reputation breeds" have been bred for so long to fight and be mean that - just as with the other groups of breedds - some lines are bound to be more pre-disposed to being unpredictable or mean.

A lot of it depends on socialization and their formative years, especially up to 12 weeks of age. But breeds often exhibit characteristic traits of what they were bred for - the typical "fighting breeds" are no different. They just haven't had those lines bred for as long as some of the more well-known classes.

Having trained a few dogs now, and done many, many hours of research on that - it is the observation I've come to. I wouldn't own a pit bull, or bull terrier - but that has nothing to do with their possible temperaments. I just like large, fluffy dogs. :D Or at least the bigger breeds, fluffy is nice but I'm somewhat flexibile on it. *smirks*

Heh,

Tiny was bred just because his mom (rebel) and his dad both had good temperment, as I had rebel for about 5 years and she had never even growled at me, she was extremely protective which is one reason I like pit bulls. Other than the fact they have something about their face that is kewl looking :lol: Might sound weird but the way their face looks is like urm weird but cool. I guess I am attracted to Pit bulls for somewhat the same reason some people are attracted to snakes. (there is just something about snakes that gives me a chill up my spine).

Pit bulls also seem very active, and love to play. :D

Raul, I love sharing pix of my KPax. Since I don't have any kids yet, she's my baby :D And, yeah, lotta neighbors say she looks like a hyena, she's what's called "brindle" color.

Lisa, you're right. Some history says pit bulls were breed for baiting bulls as a form of entertainment. When that was banned, they turned to using dogs to kill rats. Eventually, people made the dogs fight each other. How people find this entertaining is beyond me. I like watching boxing, but the fighters don't kill each other and many times shake hands afterwards.

I hope people can change their minds about these dogs and not train them to be mean.

later,

!!blue

I belive the big problem with pure breeds is related to their genetic heritage. In order to create pure breeds, breeders have to select which dogs are going to mate very carefully.

But since sometimes money speaks louder, breeders force dogs of the same family to mate, which is very very risky, because of genetic disorders - just like it can happen with us, humans.

For instance, if a recessive gene (I'm not sure if that's what it's called in English... are there any biologists here?) that is responsible for some mental disorder is present in both the mother and the father, the puppy will certainly have mental problems.

This is exactly what happened with a Cocker Spaniel that a friend of mine had. After 8 years of living happily with his family, the cocker simply went mad, one day. He attacked my friend's mother and if it weren't for her husband to be at home, he could have hurt her pretty badly. They had to lock him on the bathroom and called the veterinarian, who managed to sedate the dog. When he woke up on the vet hospital, he was completely out of his mind. Nobody could try to touch him, nobody could even get close to him, including any other animals. He stayed there for a couple of days until they decided to put him down. ;)

Unfortunately, pure breeds are just prone to this kind of mental problems. They can snap just like that. And, IMHO, that's why their have the undeserved fame they do.

yes - recessive.

Purebreds are subject to a lot of problems and they're not just mental. The most well known is hip dysplacia in older dogs. Blindness in other dogs is fairly common. Unfortunately, cancer can also be seen in more breeds than others.

If you're going to get a purebreed there is a whole host more research that you need to do (and are able to do) over adopting from a rescue. You should get the papers from the vet, including medical checks on the vets and hopefully grandparents, their bloodlines history, certifications that their line hasn't suffered from the major breed ailments and that the mother and father are free of them. You should also viisit the parents to see temperament as the mother teaches her pups to behave, so this can be a good indicator of the pup's temperament.

It is also good to see the breeder's place. For one, to make sure they're not a puppy mill, and for another - to make sure that they keep their pups in healthy, sanitary conditions. Many breeders will have only one "couple" breeding at a time and therefore the pups are given a fair bit of freedom and live in the house. These are ideal conditions. =)

Offtopicness is good?

I am really impressed with the knowledge of canine's in this thread.

I have four dogs (would have forty if I could).

Two are Jack Russells - everyone says to me "OH THEY ARE HYPER".

Just like Pit Bulls, I think until a person owns a dog - lives with it and loves it - they never ever really know the breed.

I have seen this video several places and people just have no idea how much little dogs can do as far as damage and biting - as much as large breeds. You don't often hear of a spaniel killing a human - true - but many other breeds are way worse for biting then pit bulls!

Weezy

I love my dog.

I have the most adorable 8 year old part-beagle, part-terrier. His name is Ringo...named after The Beatle's drummer.

But he looks like a purebred Beagle. I kid you not. But the mother was terrier.

We've had people try and steal him out of our privacy-fenced yard several times because they thought he was a pure bred. Even had someone try and rip the gate door off...with us at home. I never, ever put him outside without being there to keep an eye on him. Dogs are stolen way too easily these days.

He recently had a tumor removed off of his one leg, thank goodness they got all of it and they said none of it had spread on him.

I'm hard of hearing, and he is an excellent second set of ears for me. He always barks whenever anyone is around the outside of the apartment.

He suffers from severe separation anxiety when I'm not home. So, he's extremely attached to me. And I have to admit, I'm attached to him too. I don't have any kids yet, but he is my 'baby'.