Firefox Unrest

Madmanmcp

Yea, the head of Mozilla Europe, if you go to page 7 you'll see there is a rumour that the Mozilla Europe board approved said extension. Plus, it is an official extension, included in all builds - so their responsibility; unlike the third party extensions.

I have no opinion on this right now, but it will be interesting to see it unfold.

Yes, it was the head of Mozilla Europe, Axel Hecht, but that extension is not included in all builds, only the German (de-DE) build.

It seems Axel already admitted he messed up and it seems that the redirection link has been deactivated.

Just in case someone doesn't want to read the whole thing, the problem is that the German (de-DE) build of Mozilla, made by Mozilla Europe, includes an ebay search plugin that takes the search query through a third party ad server, which keeps track of some info regarding that search - not the individual user, just the search. So it's not quite advertisement, it's more like spyware (yeah, I know it doesn't make things any better... :dance:)

This is a bit disapointing but I do hope people realize this was a decision taken by one person, not the whole Mozilla Foundation, that not every build of Firefox is "contaminated" by this problem and that Firefox is still a very good web browser (the best? :P).

Edited by TCH-Raul

Raul, I agree with you but this quote taken from Mitchell's blog leaves me with a bad feeling.

We provide access to search services from a range of sources including Google, Yahoo, Amazon, eBay and others you can see in Firefox. We expect to see some funds come to the Foundation as a result of our integrated search. We'll use any funds that result to help support the Mozilla Foundation's non-profit operations. When finances are involved questions often arise about their influence on an organization and we'll spend some time talking about this as we go forward.

To me they are trying to find a way to generate some revenue. Now this is not necessarily a bad thing, but the way they are doing it is.

You know, if they had an option to use advertiser-spiked search engines I'd probably turn it on to support Firefox and Mozilla.... but if it is "snuck" in there I'd hate them forever. I'd probably use Firefox anyway though. It's just that darn good. :)

It seems the thread Bob pointed us to has, according to one of the MozillaZine forums' moderators, "[...] degenerated into name calling, and is basically going in circles." and so he closed it.

Does anyone have any more info about this?

We provide access to search services from a range of sources including Google, Yahoo, Amazon, eBay and others you can see in Firefox. We expect to see some funds come to the Foundation as a result of our integrated search. We'll use any funds that result to help support the Mozilla Foundation's non-profit operations. When finances are involved questions often arise about their influence on an organization and we'll spend some time talking about this as we go forward.

Just the thought of this makes me nervous... it is basically stating that, if they are not spying on searches through the program, then they are outsourcing the searches to other servers over which they have no control. To me, this rerouting is suspect.

I just don't like the idea that their "integrated" search is actually not that, it is just served by a third party. One that the producers expect to receive money for... something's fishy to me.

I'm not that bothered as a user, because I don't use the Geman version (I don't even use ebay, so... :lol:). But I am bothered by what has been done with a great piece of software and the consequences it may have on it's public image.