.dcr Scripts

fromsitepoint

I was trying to use a .dcr script for a flash game on my site, so I uploaded it into my public_html directory. But for some reason it doesn't load on my html game page. However, when I call the .dcr cript from another web site, it loads fine on my page. Does TCH allow .dcr scripts? If so, what am I doing wrong? Thanks for any info.

If a .dcr file needs to run on the server, then no, it won't work.

If it's only a file being loaded by the flash movie, to be processed on the browser, then it should work OK.

Sorry, can't help you much more than this, I never used .dcr files with Flash :\

I can't get it to work with .swf or .dcr. I think it would need to be run on the server, though I'm not sure. (I've never worked with Flash before.) Here is the code (all the brackets have been omitted)...

object classid="clsid:166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab#version=7,0,2,0" width="480" height="345" param name="src" value="balloon.dcr" EMBED SRC="balloon.dcr" WIDTH="480" HEIGHT="345" ALIGN="BOTTOM" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/" /embed

/object

So from the code, does it look like it needs to be run on the server?

Also, on a related topic: can movie trailer clips be used on my website?

dcr files are just Macromedia Director clips, and do not need to run on the server from what I have found on this subject.

Make sure that your files are placed correctly on your site. You could also try to use relative paths (adding ../ in front of the file name). With that, it would look like:

object classid="clsid:166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab#version=7,0,2,0" width="480" height="345" param name="src" value="../balloon.dcr" EMBED SRC="../balloon.dcr" WIDTH="480" HEIGHT="345" ALIGN="BOTTOM" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/" /embed

/object

Thanks for replies.

Since the clips would not be run on the server, it would seem that something's wrong in my implementation. I believe TCH-Glenn is referring to "absolute" paths - yes, I have used absolute and relative paths in the code, but to no avail. It may be how I am copying and saving the .dcr file. I am opening the .dcr zip in Notepad, changing the file extension, and uploading it as a binary.

As for the AUP regarding permissions for video clips, I would have all necessary copyright permissions, and the clips would be G-rated. So I am assuming permissions may refer to this clause: "You are prohibited from excessive consumption of resources, including CPU time, memory, disk space and session time. You may not use resource-intensive programs which negatively impact other customers or the performance of TotalChoice Hosting systems or Hosting. TotalChoice Hosting reserves the right to terminate or limit such activities."

??

Most flash and such similar items (excluding Java) are not that intense on the server... because they are downloaded and then run on the local machine.

As for the rating of the file... as long as it is legal, you have few worries there... for the most part. Just don't submit it to be added to the "Family Sites" page.

The method you describe for changing the filename is confusing me. But I would suggest just uploading the full zip to your site, then using the cPAnel File Manager to extract the file on the server. Other than that, I simply cannot tell you what is going on.

I'll see if I can find a Flash/Director guru around here and get them in on this thread.