Paid Advertisements?

I must say there are many webmasters who feel it is worth it and make great money from it. There are many providers such as TribalFusion, FastClick, and many others that are legit and have decent payout terms. You should do your homework before choosing and ask yourself the following questions:

Do I have enough visitors to support the effort? If your site is low traffic, banner ads are useless as it would take you a good deal of time to just hit the threshold for payment (usually between $20/$50). Most ad networks have a minimum traffic guideline that you must meet prior to joining...usually between 1000-5000 page views or uniques (some companies use page views and some use uniques) per month. If you are just barely hitting the threshhold, you probably won't see much revenue being generated. Most succesful sites that utilize ads as a source of income receive high traffic such as 500,000 p/month. Some small sites are successfull as well, but the ads need to tied directly to the content.

My site is forum based which equates to several thousand page views...will this boost revenue? In most cases, no. Most ad networks will not allow advertising on message boards due to low conversions. A person can sit in a forum and visit a hundred different threads viewing another ad at each thread. This is not effective for advertisers as they would be paying for 100 ad's for the same individual. Forum participants will usually ignore the ad as they are there to chat, not buy anything. Some forums are suitable but you have to receive permission to place the ads there.

Which type of program would work best for me? You need to consider the traffic your site receives and the content of the site. There are many different model's to choose from:

Pay-per-click: you receive a set amount for each time the ad is clicked on.

Pay-per-impression: you receive a set amount for impressions (usually for every 1000+ impressions) ex: $2 for every 1000 impressions.

Pay-per-lead: you receive a set amount for qualified leads that link from your site. Usually a few cents for each qualified lead but can vary.

Pay-per-sale (otherwise known as Affiliate): people click a link on your site (or email) to be taken to merchant page. If they make a purchase, you receive a set amount or percentage.

When choosing any of these, you must investigate your demographics. If your site is (and only for example) a gaming site, your visitor age is usually low. Online advertisers will usually not accept these types of sites. Most ad's are for you to purchase something online. If your visitor doesn't have a credit card, it is not worth the advertisers time and money to target someone who is unable to purchase their product.

I utilize both pay-per-impression (currently testing it) and Affiliate programs. Affiliate programs work better for me as my sites are very target specific and the product relates to my visitors. One thing though, to be successful with affiliate programs, you must use a prgram that is related to your site. I see way too many sites using affiliate programs that have no relevance to their site. If I run a travel site but I utilize a hosting affiliate program, I will not see many sales as visitors to my site are looking for travel info, not web hosting. You must also target the program so as to drive your visitors to make a purchase. Testimonials help position the product as something your visitor should be interested in.

I could write more in-depth about this but I am sure you are tired of reading this book :rolleyes:

Feel free to ask more questions.