Registrar Transfer Changes

TCH-Rob

Effective November 12, 2004, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) will institute a new transfer policy for all accredited domain name service providers.

The old ICANN policy allowed registrars to deny requests to transfer your domain names to another registrar unless you explicitly confirmed to us your intent to transfer. The new ICANN policy removes that protection. Starting November 12, when your registrar receives a request to transfer your domain name to a new registrar, they will still attempt to contact you to confirm that you authorized the request. However, if you do not respond, or are not able to respond within 5 days, your domain name WILL be transferred.

Make sure you lock your domain names for your safety.

I wonder why they have loosened up on this type of security?

Is it because so many domains are owned by people that are not using them or aren't on the internet anymore?

I have always locked my domains in the past but its a great reminder to domain owners :(

Weezy

I wonder why they have loosened up on this type of security?

Is it because so many domains are owned by people that are not using them or aren't on the internet anymore?

I believe it's largely due to some registrars making it considerably difficult for their customers to transfer to another registrar.

Quite frankly, I already know of a couple of domains this will save me a lot of paperwork on to get transferred.

Gotcha. Basically it ensures only the owner can make changes.

I can understand the reasoning behind the change, but this seems to invite more problems than it will solve and will allow unscrupulous people to cause all kinds of mischief.

Bad move if you ask me. Not everyone is going to have a wonderful web host to let them know about things like this.

Think of all the web sites out there that have their webmasters no longer running the sites. I know of a few that I set up and they have no idea at all on how to make changes to their sites. I designed their sites and have not heard from them for over 2 years. Maybe they lost my phone number or email address.

Youneverknow