A New Sweet Home For My Website

Albegor

Dear TCH staff,

I've browsed the web quite a lot, I've tried some hosting providers so far and when I came here following a link from findmyhosting.com I told my self: "Hey, I think I've finally found a new home for my website, at last!" :)

Aside from the fact that you offer all the features I need to run my new website and my business at prices that we can only dream of here in Italy, do you know what has been the deciding factor for my choice of TCH among your competitors?

The human factor of the support team. Simply put I've found very valuable info in your forum and the photo-avatars of the TCH team give a really pleasant friendly look compared to the cold and formal support I experienced with the past hosting providers.

So, enough compliments :), I'm going to transfer my domain here and purchase one of your virtual hosting plans. Please confirm what I'm going to do is correct:

-First I need to disable the Registrar-lock on my domain name

-Then I need to start the transfer procedure of the domain to TCH

-Buy the hosting plan and copy my site in the new space

-Once the transfer is complete my website will be up and running on TCH

Is the sequece correct?

How much time will it take?

And most importantly should I have to expect my site to be unavailable for some short period and my email lost during the process?

Note that I can't change DNS with my current domain/hosting provider.

Thanks for your support.

I would first copy the site before transfering the domain. That way you have the time to test your new home and configure all the necessary things. Once you're sure that everything is set up correctly, pull the domain switch, and 48 hours later all your visitors will see the new pages.

Only if the content of your site changes many times a day, this procudure might lead to problems. I just moved my weblog to TCH and did the following:

• Bought a hosting plan;
  • Disable comments, so no changes could be made to my site;
  • Asked the support staff to transfer my site. Since I already used cPanel on my old site, this only took 10 minutes;
  • Checked everything;
  • Enabled comments on my new site;
  • Changed the domain information.
  • Sit back and watch the visitors arrive to my new home.

Please allow about 7 to 10 days total for the transfer to take place.  During that time there should be minimal downtime.  Upload your site here and it will minimize that time down.

The post below has some good tips.

Thanks to the TCH guys for the prompt reply and to Beltza for the useful tips! ;)

Rob, please could you give me a rough estimate of the "minimal downtime" both in the best and worst cases for the recommended transfer procedure?

If it would be up to a whole day, for example, it would be a problem since a commission of an italian contest is currently judging one of my projects and the related pages on my website and I'd hate if they couldn't access it while the transfer is in progress. :(

What you can do is to ask the tech guys to transfer your site (cpanel to cpanel transfer) and when that is done give those judges your alternative url, ipnumber/~username, and they can judge your site that way.

On my way to proceed with the transfer... :dance:

I can't contact directly the judges for obvious reasons but of course I'll give the alternative URL to their press office, always hoping the downtime will be limited.

Just another question:

I was trying to access to the TCH control panel test drive but it times out after a few seconds: http://cpaneldemo.cpanel.net:2082/

What's wrong?

Thanks again.

The control panel demo is hosted by cPanel and TCH has no control over when it's working, sorry.

No problems so far and I must say the real cPanel is very easy to use, so I don't need the demo anymore. :)

I've just changed the DNS names to point to my new hosting space on TCH, but during the transfer of the domain name I received a strange email from my previous Registrar to confirm the transfer and at a first read I must say it confused me a bit, so I report it here for your information:

xxx@xxx.it received notification on Thu Nov 11 14:16:08 2004

that you have requested a transfer to another domain name registrar.

If you want to proceed with this transfer, you do not need to respond to this message.

If you wish to cancel the transfer, please contact us before Tue Nov 16 14:16:08 2004 by going to our website,

https://rr-n1-tor.opensrs.net/transfers/index.cgi?away=1 to confirm.

You will need to enter the following information to complete the transfer:

Domain Name:  albegor.com

Transfer Key: xxx

If we do not hear from you by Tue Nov 16 14:16:08 2004, the transfer will proceed.

Was it only bad english or an attempt to confuse the domain owner? ;)

Was it only bad english or an attempt to confuse the domain owner? ;)

Just bad English. :)

If you initiated the transfer then you don't need to respond and the transfer will go through. If someone else initiated a transfer and you didn't want to transfer this is a warning message and you can stop it from happening.