Bloghosts Refugee Special!

Head Guru

I have just been informed of the issues surrounding bloghosts.com

To ease the transistion for bloghosts.com customers we are offering the following.

FREE cPanel to cPanel account move. TCH will assist you in moving your account from bloghosts.com to tch. This is fully automated and is 99.95% effective.

One Plan Upgrade! Once you signup with TCH just let us know you came from bloghosts.com and we will upgrade your account to the next highest plan level at NO CHARGE.

TotalChoice is a blog friendly web host and we welcome our new family members from Bloghosts.com

Thanks

Bill

Not to get a swelled head or anything, but I'm betting I was the one who let TCH know about the issue. :lol:

Anyway, after quite a bit of research today, I've decided to throw my hat, er, sites into the ring here. And already I've been met with very helpful and friendly assistance from TCHGuruAndy and Mike Hermon. Definitely good signs. Plus, wow, I'm impressed with the pricing on the reseller accounts, especially with the free upgrade. Very cool! :dance:

I will, admittedly, miss my shell access, and I think the name "bloghosts" is more warm-fuzzy than "totalchoicehosting" (sorry!) But I do believe that the pros nicely outweigh the disadvantages!

Looking forward to a fresh start... especially not having to depend on just one well-meaning but beleaguered support fella.

I'm a refugee from Bloghosts and I just want to express how much I appreciate what TCH has done. My site was transferred very efficiently and quickly, and Rick was very prompt and helpful in answering all my queries. Thank you very much! I look forward to having a long and happy stay here. :lol:

Oh wow! Awesome!! I'll definately be signing up.

Quick question though: I have my domain registered with Bloghosts, and apparently they're not replying to ANYONE.

How will I get my domain name back??

I'm so worried, about the so called "refund" and my domain. I just found out yesterday from reading a blog, had I not seen it, I wouldn't have known and lost my domain and my money (although I think my money is lost for sure)

How will I get my domain name back painlessly?

glad to see all the new faces, unfortunately there isnt much we can do about the domain name situation. I would imagine the blog host staff is pretty swamped right now trying to get things in order for everyone. Maybe after a few days you'll get an answer to your e-mails.

I haven't been able to get my domain, either, so I just got a new one this morning.

Things look great here, so I hope I can get everything transferred properly . . . the bloghosts server that I was on has been down for 36 hours and doesn't look like it's coming back. :rolleyes:

I haven't been able to get my domain, either, so I just got a new one this morning.

Things look great here, so I hope I can get everything transferred properly . . . the bloghosts server that I was on has been down for 36 hours and doesn't look like it's coming back. :rolleyes:

If the server your site is on is down, we wont be able to transfer the site for you. Hopefully it doesnt stay down.

For soleil and madmblue:

I just talked to a godaddy tech on the phone, and he said that if you fax their domain change form to them, with ID and printouts of receipt emails from bloghosts showing you pay for and own the domain, they may be able to do the transfer.

On the other hand, the bloghosts website has been updated with "please be patient" information, so maybe there's hope . . .

I'm able to log onto cpanel through my numerical IP - will that work?

I also downloaded a mysql backup and everything I could FTP out . . .

I only half know what I'm doing though, so it's likely I'm missing something critical.

Yes, if you can log in via IP that will work.

For soleil and madmblue:

I just talked to a godaddy tech on the phone, and he said that if you fax their domain change form to them, with ID and printouts of receipt emails from bloghosts showing you pay for and own the domain, they may be able to do the transfer.

On the other hand, the bloghosts website has been updated with "please be patient" information, so maybe there's hope . . .

I'm not holding my breath. :)

• 2 weeks later...

please point me to the proper place to discuss the Free cpanel to cpanel transfer of my bloghost.com hosted site to the hosting area i have recently purchased from totalchoicehosting.com. also could i get confirmation that the plan upgrade has taken place (i purchased a year of $4 a month hosting from you).

thanks guys.

this is in regards to elvenforest.net ... i'm hoping that all the site can be moved without my having to rebuild it. it's an active community website with a few hundred registered users.

~octy

ack, i've apparently deleted the email i received from you which contained my new IP, username, password, etc. i can't submit a support ticket without the cpanel username and password for my new account. could you guys re-email me with that info? here is copy from my invoice if that helps you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TotalChoice Hosting: Invoice 16567

Invoice ID.........: 16567

Invoice Generated..: 11/09/2004

For Service(s):

Service ID: 48 Service Name: Starter Hosting Plan - $44.00 Yearly elvenforest.net

------------

Tax: USD 0.00

------------

Invoice Total: USD 44.00

Hi everyone,

I'm yet another BlogHosts refugee. I signed-up about a week ago, but wasn't aware that so many of my fellow refugees had come to TotalChoice too. Its a reassuring thing. Unbeknownst to one another we chose TotalChoice. It says alot for TotalChoice.

Like everyone else, I'm unable to confirm whether BlogHosts is actually doing anything toward transfering ownership of my domain name:ronpemberton.com.

I have submitted a ticket to the TotalChoice helpdesk for doing the cpanel-to-cpanel transfer of my site for me, and am looking foward to being back online with TotalChoice as soon as possible.

I use WordPress 1.2.1, and I'm curious how many others here are WordPress as well? :)

Hi Bruce,

I would like to compliment TotalChoice for your incredible response time to help desk tickets and forum posts. I'm getting the strong impression that I have finally found a place with the service and community that I've been dreaming. So far, everything is just fantastic !!

I was wondering if that account upgrade for BlogHosts refugees is still happening?

And, by the way, call me Ron.

Thanks

This offer sounds great. I am planning on transferring from Bloghosts, but i remember reading that TCH doesn't allow Movabletype. I read some posts recently that seem to indicate it is allowed now, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

thanks. i have just one more question- how long will this promotion last? i paid for a year of hosting at bloghosts in september, and doubt i'm getting my money back. i'd like to keep my site there until they shut down next month, but i don't want to miss this deal.

Jamas,

I can't speak for TCH (I'm just a recent customer, actually, also a Bloghosts refugee), but I would like to strongly urge you to move off of Bloghosts ASAP.

Given the situation with that company, I don't think you can count on them to reliably deliver your e-mail or host your site even up through the end of the year... so it's worth paying for an extra month with TCH just for the peace of mind.

I actually recently paid for a full year on a reseller account with Bloghosts (ack!), but moved to TCH earlier this month. Despite a bit of bumpiness, I believe I made a smart decision.

Well, it looks like I'm going to get absolutely no domain transfer out of Bloghosts--can't even access CPanel, etc. any more as of today. Thanksfully, I got a full backup already.

Anyway, since it doesn't look like they plan to transfer my domain name, and it's locked up for a couple more months, is there any way to change the account name here at TCH? I registered a very similar name at GoDaddy, just in case, and it's mine all mine, not BlogHosts' .

Did this make any sense? Remember, you're dealing with an extremem newb here! And thanks so much for the help I've already gotten here at TCH.

Mad

Hi Mad,

You can use your NEW domain name here. But if the domian is locked at Bloghosts you will have to wait until they release it or transfer it to use.

You should open a help desk ticket (link at top of this post) to support. They may still be able to transfer your content over from Bloghost. Worth a shot.

Ack... it seems that BlogHosts is -- at least temporarily -- totally dead. I tried to pull up the site of a poor friend who still has her domain hosted with them, and I get a server error. Just sent her a test e-mail, and it hasn't bounced back, but I don't know if she got it (she's at work now and I haven't been able to reach her).

Definitely glad I moved over to TCH when I did and didn't instead hang out another month or two on Bloghosts!

I feel your pain. I too registered my domain with BlogHosts. I just visited my site that is still running on their server. It appeared.

I knew to register my domain with Godaddy but took the lazy way out and let BlogHosts do it. This wasn't two weeks before everything started hitting the fan for people in the forums. Up until that point, I had been reading the forums daily for several weeks before signing on with them, and had been impressed with how cool the community of people seemed.

I will never again let someone else register anything for me. I had actually used my name for the domain on this one, with the intent of using it on a business website at a later date. Now, I'm screwed. :)

Mad, you can change the domain for your account.

Just open a help desk ticket with all the details.

And later if you can transfer the old domain

you can have it parked on top of your account through the help desk.

Edited by TCH-Don

:lol: Never mind! I did what I SHOULD have done in the first place, and submitted a help ticket!!

I had already had everything transferred over, but since Bloghosts wouldn't release the domain (is that the correct phrase?) or contact me in any way....well, nothing was working.

It's being taken care of now--you guys are great!

Mad

I need to get some stuff cleared up. I bought the $4 plan here at TCH, but bloghosts hasn't replied to me about any domain registration switching yet. When I signed up I put my domain as my bloghosts domain, www.kalalism.com. Will I be able to get my site and everything transferred before the domain registration switch? When it does eventually get switched, will my email address still work? I have most of my accounts set up with my domain email, robert@kalalism.com. I need to make sure to keep this email active, but I don't know what is happening with the switch and all. Please help me.

Welcome to your extended family Robert/Kalalism :)

I did some checking with the info you provided. I know nothing more about this bloghost transfer thing than most people in here, so you should wait for someone else to verify this...

I saw that you have your domain registered with godaddy. As far as I can tell from other posts, godaddy have some controlpanel where you can set your nameservers to point to ns1.totalchoicehosting.com and ns2.totalchoicehosting.com.

If they do have this controlpanel, then try to log in to it and change it to point to the above. Then submit a ticket to the tech guys and ask them to transfer your blogsite to TCH.

Edited by TCH-Thomas

I have just been informed of the issues surrounding bloghosts.com

To ease the transistion for bloghosts.com customers we are offering the following.

FREE cPanel to cPanel account move. TCH will assist you in moving your account from bloghosts.com to tch. This is fully automated and is 99.95% effective.

One Plan Upgrade! Once you signup with TCH just let us know you came from bloghosts.com and we will upgrade your account to the next highest plan level at NO CHARGE.

TotalChoice is a blog friendly web host and we welcome our new family members from Bloghosts.com

Thanks

Bill

How does the One Plan Upgrade work and how do I go about applying for it?

Can you elaborate more on it please?

Thanks.

As you quoted

So just open a helpdesk ticket and let them know you came from bloghosts.

You guys are great! I am still pretty new at the whole website thing, bloghosts was good while it lasted, but now that I know about you I wish I had been with you from the beginning. The transfer was extremely easy and there is nothing messed up on my site. Thank You so very much. I added a link to your site on the bottom of my page and I recently made a post thanking you.

You guys are great! I am still pretty new at the whole website thing, bloghosts was good while it lasted, but now that I know about you I wish I had been with you from the beginning. The transfer was extremely easy and there is nothing messed up on my site. Thank You so very much. I added a link to your site on the bottom of my page and I recently made a post thanking you.

Thanks and welcome home. Care to share the link? I assume it is family friendly, right?

• 2 weeks later...
Ivan,

You can use a new name if you would like.

Believe it or not, Jace finally came through and transferred my name to me. I've already set up the new site/domain though. Is it possible to put a re-direct page on the old sitename? I'm not sure what is meant by "parking" the domain.

Could somebody explain what my options are here? and how I go about doing all this? I've already pointed the old site domain to the TCH servers.

Madm

Parking means that you can have several domains pointing to the same directory (domain a.com and domain b.com goes to same pages). Just submit a ticket to the tech guys and they will fix it.

With any luck, I'll soon be in the same situation. Is there a way to handle that I will then have two email addresses (name@domain-a.com and name@domain-b.com)? That is, does a parked domain allow email forwarding for any addresses associated with it?

Thanks!

I am a bloghosts refugee and am happy to finally be on a working host. I signed up and paid last night and this morning I awake to find that my DNS has already propagated. I feel like I am in heaven. Almost.

I would very much like to restore my blog which had been hosted on bloghosts. I made backups before their computers went down via the cPanel backup function. I did just about every option given there--Full Backup, Home Directory Backup, and MySQL Database Backup.

I tried uploading my Full Backup to cPanel on TCH. Since there was no restore function called Full Backup Restore, I used the top option--"Restore a Home Backup". It looked like it was uploading and took about the right amount of time for a file of that size to upload on a dialup connection (3.5 MB took about a half hour). Then the screen said it was restoring files but didn't appear to be actively doing anything. I checked in File Manager and nothing seems to have uploaded or restored. Am I doing something wrong?

Does it matter that my bloghosts domain had been a .com and I now have a .net (since bloghosts wouldn't transfer ownership of my domain to me)?

Any help getting my old site back up here on TCH would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Just drop in a support ticket to our techs and referance the bloghosts cpanel trransfer and make sure to include the location of your backup files.

We will do our best to get your site restored.

Welcome to the family.

Just drop in a support ticket to our techs and referance the bloghosts cpanel trransfer and make sure to include the location of your backup files.

We will do our best to get your site restored.

Welcome to the family.

The bloghosts servers are completely down. Can I upload the backup files to my home directory here at TCH and then put in the support ticket?

Thanks for welcoming me to the family!

What's a Blog?    :lol2:

Did I miss something...was I sleeping when TCH added another feature?

A Blog is a web log or journal or other CMS (content management system).

TCH has always allowed blogs to be hosted here. You can use many different programs to manage your blog. Popular ones are Wordpress and Movable Type. Some people use Blogger, TextPattern, Expression Engine, etc...