Large (really Large!) Monitors

Virtual Imager

I want to place two large monitors as window displays ( two separate windows, but somewhat close to each other and facing the same way) for a business. The monitors will show slide shows of images... each with a different slide show running at the same time. I want them to be large, like the plasma screen TV's currently available - but they don't need to be plasma screen and, of course, I'd like them to be much less expensive than the plasma sdcreens. I'm looking for something large enough to be visible and attractive from the street... at least three to four feet across.

Besides seeking information about such monitors (like what do you recommend????), I want to know if I will need two separate computers to run the slide shows or can one computer run a different slide show on each monitor?

OR.... is there some other way to get these slide shows running in the windows of the business that would be less straining on the budget? Some kind of hardware/gadget that is not a computer but would run slideshows that I put together on cd's from a group of images? Anybody have any ideas? The only stipulation is that they have to be of a good resolution so that the images are shown in their best light and the curb appeal from the street gives a feel of high tech-ness and high quality.

Thanks for any help you can give...

VI

Rob,

OK... 3k each is a bit more than I want to spend! Do inexpensive DVD players come with large enough screens (self-contained) to do what I want to do (use them as a window display)? Or do I then still have to buy a tv or something to show them on?

What's an SVGA input?

As you can tell, I'm not really up on the latest technology... I won't even mention how old my TV is, and I still use a VCR. :)

But I'm willing to learn!!! You just have to explain it to me the way you'd explain it to an idiot! :) I know there's something out there that will do what I need done!

Madman,

How would that work. Obviously in a window I won't have room to do front projection (doesn't the projector have to be a distance from the screen?). And rear projection would put the projector somewhere in the middle of the floor of the business, right? Or am I totally not understanding this?

And if I do bite the bullet and spring for two big thin tv's or something along those lines, what will I need to show the separate slide shows on each?

PS: No, It's not temporary. At least, I hope not!!!

VI

And rear projection would put the projector somewhere in the middle of the floor of the business, right?
\

Think outside the box. The projectors get mounted in a box on the ceiling. This is what we have at my work but these are front projection systems not rear projection which is what you will probably need.

You just have to explain it to me the way you'd explain it to an idiot!

I wouldn't call anyone an idiot, just because you don't know anything about the subject doesn't mean you are one. The will to learn means you are intelligent and will never be one.

So, there maybe several ways to accomplish what you are trying here and you just need a little research, some suggestions and a lot of time to an energy. A projection system is one suggestion, Large TV's or monitor's another. The TV/monitor solution maybe the solution you need because of your space limitations, but may not work because of cost constraints. Projection maybe the solution because of the opposite, cost is more acceptable but space is a stopper.

The projection system might be accomplished in different ways. You could have the Computer running a program (Powerpoint for instance) and this would be displayed on a screen using the projector. Or you could get a DVD player and play this with a projector after burning your "show" from a computer.

The TV/monitor would work in a similar way, either a computer or DVD player.

I think with this info you can start with a search engine and start reading about these monitors or projectors. You may also want to look up the companies that will do this work for you. It may cost more but it will save you a lot of trial and error and work. These companies have already done all the reseach and would know what would work best for your particular project.

Good luck,

BoB

Do inexpensive DVD players come with large enough screens (self-contained) to do what I want to do (use them as a window display)? Or do I then still have to buy a tv or something to show them on?

You would need a TV for each one and SVGA means Super VGA (video graphics array?) but wouldnt matter if you went the DVD/Thin TV route as they are for computers to connect to. Many DVD players can play picture CD's. Projectors are costly too and you would need some space between the screen and the projector. You want big so it isnt going to be cheap.

BOB has pretty much laid it out in the above post. :)

I want to know if I will need two separate computers to run the slide shows or can one computer run a different slide show on each monitor?

You can do it with one computer. You can run two monitors in Windows and show a different program on each one...or the same program. See the link below.

h_tp://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,,1674408,00.asp

Many thanks to both of you. I'll look into all the options you've mentioned. I was a bit overwhelmed, but now that I know where to start, I'm inspired to go research what's out there and find what I need. :)

Thanks for the link, Bob. It's very helpful.

If it turns out anything like my vision, it's going to be a very cool dispaly when it's done...

VI

youneverknow has a good point and something that will need to be part of your "research". One of my many volunteer activities is being the "Datamanager" for my kids various swim teams. I run the computer that collects all the times for the meets my kids swim in, most cases these are outdoor meets.

I am always looking for the best spot with the most shade to place my equipment where I can see what I am doing on the monitor. Sunny days may be great for everyone but the darker and cloudier it is the better my picture is.

There is also a difference looking at a CRT or a plasma screen...not sure about projection but I know at my job they painted the walls and ceilings black and put in low wattage bulbs with reostates to lower the brightness to make our viewing of our monitors and the projection screens a lot easier.

Yeah.... that's definitely a consideration. thanks for mentioning it.

I think this would make a great and unique window display for a high-tech digital art gallery (slideshows of the extremely cool digital art inside). The idea is to attract people walking and driving by with a display that changes every 15 seconds or so with cool fades and the whole nine yards. The screens (flat panel monitors or tv screens - I don't think I'll do the projection thing) would be mounted on a short wall just inside the windows. The windows face north and there is an awning (I think), so I'm not sure it would have direct sunlight hitting it... maybe it wouldn't wash out too much? Although there is consistent traffic every day, the largest crowds are at a once a week evening art walk on the street. Even if it's only completely effective at night, it may still be worth doing. What do you think?

I'm trying to visualize seeing some of these large tv's in storefront windows, but I don't think I've seen that since I left New York City. Here it's all indoor display and mall windows. Does anyone else have experience looking at these screens from a sidewalk? Did they wash out or were the pictures ok during the day?

Also if anyone has any thoughts about screen size, I'd like to hear them. I'm looking at monitors and TVs from 19 inches to 37 inches. If I go with the larger size, I'll probably just be able to do one to start, but that might be ok too. Actually, two might get too distracting....

I would think that it would depend alot on the size of the window at the front of your shop. A huge projection tv might be overkill if it's a fairly small window. It'd look cool though admittedly. :)

The cheapest way would be to get a couple of used 21" CRT flat-screen monitors. You could get those very cheap, and then control them with one computer...it wouldn't have to be a powerful computer...just have a decent graphics card. It's a neat idea btw...I hope you take a pic of the setup after you get it done.

Bob, That's a lot of screen for the money! Where did you find it?

Also, these converters seem to support only a certain size (1600 x 1200). I'm not sure what that means, but would this TV that you found be supported?

Would I have to use a computer, or could I burn the slideshow to dvd and show it on this? Which would be better in terms of simplicity and cost?

And finally, is this an item that would have less problems with daylight than the other screens we talked about? Remember, I'm not real familiar with the technology.

Thanks Champagnemojo... the windows are large... probably 6 or 8 feet across each. IF this deal goes through and I get this property, and IF I can pull off buying all the equipment I want to buy, I'll definitely post a pic. And invite everyone to the opening!!! Do you think 21" is big enough to be seen from the sidewalk/street and attract people to come inside? I like the 52 incher that Bob found... the art will look awesome at that size and it's definitely in the price range!

Sorry, it was at Best Buy, I somehow deleted the link from my post.

h_tp://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=1087341905175&skuId=6753523&productCategoryId=cat03006&type=product

Also, these converters seem to support only a certain size (1600 x 1200). I'm not sure what that means, but would this TV that you found be supported?
The size is called resolution and is probably one of the things you need to research. Basically its the number of pixels horizontally and vertically. A pixel is a "dot" on a picture or monitor. This is a very complicated subject and sometimes hard to understand. Clearer pictures are produced by squeezing more pixels closer together in a smaller area. But you want a BIG area so you need a higher resolution to get the best picture...but getting that is sometimes the difficult part because technology and costs limit what is possible.

Would I have to use a computer, or could I burn the slideshow to dvd and show it on this? Which would be better in terms of simplicity and cost?

I believe this could work with either option and the cost and simplicity will be part of your research :)

And finally, is this an item that would have less problems with daylight than the other screens we talked about?

I don't know. Add to your research list.

You guys are the best! :hug:

So I'm assuming that if I burn the slideshows to dvd and get a dvd player to hook up to this monster TV, I won't need the converter... one less thing to research!

I also found something called a non-glare projection tv screen protector which is for use in bright rooms. Do you think this would help with the wash-out if it becomes necessary? Only $279 for custom sizes with installation. h_tp://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806321569&productCategoryId=cat08097&type=product. What do you think?

If the shield solves the daylight/washout problem, I think I'm all set! Just have to sign the lease (that's the scary part), get the TV (assuming the quality is good when I look at it) and the dvd player, make and burn my slideshows, and wait for the crowds! :)

Can you tell I'm psyched?

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to this thread. Especially Bob who went above and beyond. I feel like I've gone from "clueless" to "on the right track" in just one evening. I know it's not as easy as the glib paragraph above, but it's certainly less overwhelming than it seemed just a few hours ago.

One additional question: am I right that the projection mechanism is built into the TV and there is nothing that needs to be mounted to the ceiling or anything like that?

Really, thanks so much!

-Randy

Vi, your best bet at this point is to have a fact finding mission. Collect all your concerns and questions you had here and I'm sure there are others you have and take a trip down to Best Buys or some other store. Browse around and start looking at the equipment and as soon as a salesman asks if he can help pull out your list.

BUT...do not jump right in and buy anything yet. This is strictly research and you always find better an cheaper things as you learn more about what you are trying to do.

ALSO, do not accept what every salesman tells you as fact, verify this by asking several people and see if you get the same answers. Try and see if there is a way to view these monitors in a sunny location. The stores will have their Best monitors back in the back of the store in a dark area to get the best looking picture out of them to make sales.

Good luck.

am I right that the projection mechanism is built into the TV and there is nothing that needs to be mounted to the ceiling or anything like that?

Yes

I want that thing too...though I'd have to get a bigger house for it. :D

Those are pretty big windows VI...the projection screen will look really cool. I only mentioned the used 21-inchers because I'm such a tightwad and those are cheap. ;) But the projection tv would definitely be more eye-catching. If you don't yet have a dvd-burner, you'll find that those are very cheap nowadays. As are the dvd players of course...so at least part of the equipment is cheap.

You're the best person here to decide about the glare issue I'd say. Only you know where the location is and whether there is lots of direct sunlight coming in and such. Something like an awning might be a cool way to control the sunlight too...though I have no idea how much more expensive it would be than that shield you found (it might also add to the charm of the building though...particularly since you're going for an old-fashioned store-front look).

They look a little pricey but I liked them, so I had to share.

32 slimline 40 inch screens for $455,000

Pocket change I tell ya. :D

Yeah.... I'd write out the check right now, but I left my checkbook at home. Darn.

Well I'm off on my fact-finding mission....

I want to know if I will need two separate computers to run the slide shows or can one computer run a different slide show on each monitor?

You can do it with one computer. You can run two monitors in Windows and show a different program on each one...or the same program. See the link below.

h_tp://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,,1674408,00.asp

What presentation programs support this? I don't think Powerpoint does...

What presentation programs support this? I don't think Powerpoint does...

You are correct about Powerpoint, it will not open a new program window for a second file. They will both run in the same program window and you can toggle back and forth but this will not work the way Vi wants.

The delivery program(s) has not been discussed and will need to be researched ... thats getting to be my favorite phrase lately :dance:

But there are probably several different ways this can be accomplished. Some programs will open up separate windows and some won't. One that does can be used or two different slideshow programs need to be used. This is a minor issue in my opinion and can wait till later. And this also depends on whether she decides to use one computer with two monitors. It looks like she is heading toward the Large rear projection and DVD player.

If your budget allows for $1299 plus tax you can pick up a 27" Wide Screen LCD @ cosco.

I have installed these units in store fronts for ad displays and powerpoint. They work excellent. Size isnt really all that important on store front displays. Most of the units I have set up are within 2' of the window. Most walk by traffic will stop when they see that 27" LCD.

Just my .2 cents worth.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I guess my biggest consideration is how they look in daylight . How washed out the images get. Is there one particular format (LCD, CRT, Rear Projection, Plasma) that is known to be better for this or do I just need to try and compare them (hard to do inside a store)?

My second consideration is size. Since I print my images on both paper (small... 12 x 18) and canvas (large... 30 x 45) I know that size adds considerably to their appeal. They are just so much more striking at the larger size. Most images are. So if the difference between LCD and rear projection isn't that significant, and since the prices are in the same ballpark, I'd want to go for the 52 inch rear projection TV.

I guess what I'm asking for is a definitive (you can't blame me for trying!) "You need an LCD (or whatever)." Or "The rear projection with the anti-glare screen will do the job just as well." Of "(fill in your advice here)." What do you think?

Thanks,

Randy

I only mentioned the used 21-inchers because I'm such a tightwad and those are cheap. :P

Maybe you should change your name to beermojo!

:P :lol: :lol:

My problem is I have champagne taste on a beer budget. :P

VI

Yeah, nobody would ever buy that I drink champagne anyways. :lol: My whole screenname just comes from my cat (color of his fur...his name). :P

I'd like to have champagne taste...I just can't afford it. I have a beer budget and no self-control. ;) :D

Thanks, Bell. I'm totally bummed. I've got my windows "all dressed up and nowhere to show! (to paraphrase a bit)" :)

Well, whatcha gonna do? Just have to regroup and start looking again. Unfortunately, the location made it real attractive for investors... don't know if I can keep them interested now. We shall see........... keeping my options open and my sense of humor intact.

Around the corner, huh? I guess I better start walking around in squares then, instead of the circles I usually walk around in! :dance:

I did enjoy the learning process, Bob. I always do! It will get put to use when the right situation comes along.

Thanks again, everyone. I really appreciate all the suggestins and help and especially the good wishes.

VI