New Site!

Head Guru

Greetings to all........

As we migrate to our new web site you will start to see some changes take place.

As of this posting we have updated our Status Web Site. You can view the new site located at http://www.tchstatus.com

Over the next few days, you will start to see a new site with new feature! But rest easy, only the front end is changing. You will still be provided with the most reliable hosting services in the biz.

Look forward to comments and suggestions.

Bill

Hello bill,

Congratulations very pretty layout and are well fast to load the pages. (and sees that I am far hem.... Thumbs Up )

More important that a new page, is the services offered for TCH to continue wonderful as they are.

One question or suggestion:

It will not have a page presenting the TCh company and its history etc ?

for the time being it is this,

congratulations,

Paulo

All at TCH.

It looks great and surely more professional.

One point of criticism though.

I find the flash movie reloading and playing after every refresh or movement to another page getting annoying rather quickly.

I looks fancy but a static flash would look very nice enought too!

Hope I make some sense :dance:

Keep up the good work!

I'm seeing a problem on the /help page using Netscape 7.0. In the left frame, all the links that are more than one line have the second line cut off. Specifically: the third link down says Total Choice Something or Other (2nd line cut off except for the very top of the letters), same for Third Party Something or Other, and the last link Web Hosting Something or Other.

Looks nice though! Thumbs Up

VI

Thanks John!

We actually launched our main site once again tonight, and within 5 minutes located another issue with the site. At that point we pulled it to make changes.

Stay tuned, we just want this thing to work when we fully launch it.

Bill

What was the problem with it? Or can you say?

The main thing is a lot has changed since the new site was "built". plans, family pages etc. All total I think theres about 1200 files in the site, and I have been over and over and over them, just as soon as I think we have em all current and fixed we upload the site and find more problems.

Pretty sure we have the major issues fixed and will probably be launching the new site this afternoon

I gotta say ... I really like the new site. It's so snazzy. I haven't had time to surf it in depth yet, so my opinions are only taken from cursory views, but I think you have a real winner of a design here. It's clean, up-to-date, and very pleasing to the ol' peepers!

Are you going to keep just a plain html or text version of your site? Because I know there are some companies that block flash so they are unable to only view the static images, and they are unable to click on any of the links because they are flash links. I know exactly what this is like since I am behind one of those firewalls.

Are you going to keep just a plain html or text version of your site? Because I know there are some companies that block flash so they are unable to only view the static images, and they are unable to click on any of the links because they are flash links. I know exactly what this is like since I am behind one of those firewalls.

There are text links at the bottom of all the pages that have flash :(

At least, that's what I noticed when the site was up.

I was thinking the same thing as you were :)

There are text links at the bottom of all the pages that have flash :(

Well I know that on TCHSTATUS.com I am unable to check on that status of the servers that I am on. Because there is no links on that page I can click on to view the current status, or any of the other resources on that site.

My two cents.

The good:

I like the way the Flash menu system works. It has a nice look.

The bad:

It's hard to tell when you're over a submenu item. The submenu links need to change color when you move the mouse over them (makes it look better too).

The ugly:

I personally find the Flash 'load' annoying. It would be ok without the initial load of the flash area (where it goes from from white to blue). As it is, it's distracting from the site.

I have yet to test the site on a new browser that does not have Flash installed. Do you have a backup text menu below the flash object for people that don't use Flash? If not, I would suggest only using Flash for visual highlights, and not for navigation.

The bad:

It's hard to tell when you're over a submenu item. The submenu links need to change color when you move the mouse over them (makes it look better too).

I agree with this. I thought my mouse was over Help Site when I clicked, apparently not and I was directed to the Live Chat. It woudl be useful if there was animation (as suggested with change of colour) to make it more clear which link you will be browsing to

On the entry page, I LOVE the way that guy standing on the globe lights up when accessing the drop-UP menus!

Gawd, I wish I was a techie!

---------------

Santolina

PS:that'll never happen :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
But according to Bill in this thread there are over 30,000 websites: "Currently we host well in excess of 30,000 web sites."

Well, that's more than 20,000 and the image is still correct, right? ;)

Bwahahahaha

Bruce you kill me.

Bill

Not to be a zealot, but shame on y'all for putting your navigation in a Flash movie. People without Flash? Screwed. People with screen readers? Screwed. People who need to scale up the text size? Screwed. (My vision's fine and the nav was hard to read for me.) People who just want to have the usual middle-click/right-click/shift-click/option-click options on links? Screwed, screwed, screwed.

Not to mention the general lack of usability of the rest of the front page. To wit: A big paragraph about the forum without a link to it. All the important text about the plans in images, in tiny print.

Again, I don't want to sound like a zealot. (I think Jakob Nielsen is a bit of a wacko, too.) The page is mostly aesthetically pretty. But the problems I mentioned were ones that actually affected my first visit to the redesigned site. And I'm already a customer.

Please, please, please. I love TCH. The new website is NOT helping its business. The old website was a little ugly, and it needed some work in the usability department, too. But it was way more usable than this.

You can keep a lot of the stuff about the general layout; I'm sure you paid a bit for it. But ditch the Flash navigation (or all of it --- even the animated logo is more annoying than pretty). Put links in logical places. Make the important text easy to read. Make it possible to make it all bigger. CSSify the layout and the image text while you're at it. Please. I'll help. Really.

SFT

Not to be a zealot, but shame on y'all for putting your navigation in a Flash movie. People without Flash? Screwed. People with screen readers? Screwed. People who need to scale up the text size? Screwed. (My vision's fine and the nav was hard to read for me.) People who just want to have the usual middle-click/right-click/shift-click/option-click options on links? Screwed, screwed, screwed.

Not to mention the general lack of usability of the rest of the front page. To wit: A big paragraph about the forum without a link to it. All the important text about the plans in images, in tiny print.

Again, I don't want to sound like a zealot. (I think Jakob Nielsen is a bit of a wacko, too.) The page is mostly aesthetically pretty. But the problems I mentioned were ones that actually affected my first visit to the redesigned site. And I'm already a customer.

Please, please, please. I love TCH. The new website is NOT helping its business. The old website was a little ugly, and it needed some work in the usability department, too. But it was way more usable than this.

You can keep a lot of the stuff about the general layout; I'm sure you paid a bit for it. But ditch the Flash navigation (or all of it --- even the animated logo is more annoying than pretty). Put links in logical places. Make the important text easy to read. Make it possible to make it all bigger. CSSify the layout and the image text while you're at it. Please. I'll help. Really.

SFT

Well, most people these days have Flash. People that don't can download it.

Those that don't can use the sitemap... after all, that's what it's there for.

Realize that most webhosts do use Flash navigations, and it doesn't hurt nearly as much as you might think ;) Most users are far from "screwed" when they find a site with Flash.

I do agree though that some of the text is a bit small...

Allow me to disagree, Alan.

People may be able to download Flash but they may not be able to install it if, for example, the sysadmin of their company locked that possibility ;)

Also, the site map isn't there to provide a navigational map for people who don't have Flash installed - at least it shouldn't be. A site map is supposed to show you how the web site's sections are organized. Of course you can navigate the site through it but that's not it's main purpose.

Also, just because most webhosts have a Flash menu doesn't mean TCH can/should have one too. IMHO, it would be better if it didn't, not only because of all the things that have already been pointed but also because it would show TCH does care about its customers and visitors, it would show that TCH wants to make things right, not just be like most other web hosts.

And last but not least, I sincerely hope you don't but if someday you find yourself in the seat of one of those people who are not part of that "most users" group, come talk to me and tell me how you feel about websites that don't provide you with an easy way to navigate them.

Another interesting experience would be for you to help someone with a disability (someone severely motor impaired, ot someone with really poor vision or, even better, somone blind) use a computer to browse the web. Give it a try. You'll see what I mean.

EDIT: I should note that despite my (constructive) critics about the Flash menu, as I said above, I think Mike did a GREAT job on the site remodelation. Thumbs Up

Edited by TCH-Raul

• 2 weeks later...

Ack, what happened? :D

The new homepage is seriously messed up.

When I went to it I thought I had typed the wrong URL, because it looked like something from a cheap web design company (who all overuse Flash ).

There's a huge white box at the top of the page where a Flash banner is supposed to be, but it doesn't display because I didn't bother to install Flash on my cluster install of firefox (linux version, 1.0).

Also, the layout is messed up. There's a box saying "Hosting over 20000 websites" randomly in the middle of the page, obscuring the text behind it. Come on guys, sorry to be so harsh, but shouldn't you have tested on browsers other than IE?

Also, there's a graphic on the right side of the page that only has a small top sliver displayed. It's cut off or something.

Well, most people these days have Flash. People that don't can download it.

Those that don't can use the sitemap... after all, that's what it's there for.

Realize that most webhosts do use Flash navigations, and it doesn't hurt nearly as much as you might think :D Most users are far from "screwed" when they find a site with Flash.

I do agree though that some of the text is a bit small...

Not quite true...

I often leave Flash uninstalled, because the only sites that use it are ones that I would not go to (an exception is online comics like strongbad, which inherently need to use Flash). (And if a site does use Flash, I do not want it loading because it would waste my time with useless flashiness - no pun intended).

Flash takes longer to load, consumes more CPU, and a host of other problems already mentioned.

I too think it looks good - but please bin the Flash! Those of us without broadband/ADSL have to sit and wait for the thing to load before we can navigate the site. Flash is fine in its palce, but not for the main menu on TCh

Have to agree unfortunately. TCH is by far the best hosting company I know, but now it just looks like all the rest. The new site looks ok, but I do prefer the old one, flash gives me headaches.

Flash is ok for banners but not for navigation, just my opinion of course.

Adam

Is there any way that you can create a html only version of the tchstatus page or make the links so that they can be pressed without having flash. Because my work disables flash from coming thru the firewall, and I can not check on the server to see it's status when I am unable to connect from work.