Paypal/suntrust Scam Emails

kevan_j

Someone here at work just discovered this.....

Got the usual scam email (this was supposedly from SunTrust Bank) which entices you to click on a link to update your online account info. It the usual scam EXCEPT that the link actually goes to a site that uses PHP to generate a real looking web page, complete with an address bar which, although built out of graphics, still has a working text entry field. The code checks to see which email you clicked through from, and if it is the Suntrust one, it builds a Suntrust page, if it is the PayPal one, it builds a PayPal page. Once the page is built, all the links and buttons on the page (except fot the login button) will work and go to the real site. The Login button takes your login info and saves it to the scammers server. The page also checks which browser you are using, and re-directs you away if you are not using IE (they oly designed the pages they build to look like IE).

This is one slick piece of work....Watch out for it. Even experienced web users could easily be fooled.

About a month ago, my neighbor clicked through and logged on to her SunTrust checking and savings accounts, even put in her drivers license number and full street address. Then 20 minutes later came over to my house and told me about having to reverify her information and to watch for problems with my account too.

Shocked, I explained the scam while we contacted Suntrust. All accounts were frozen and moved to new numbers, her logon and password were updated too. I had her contact all her credit card companies (since the accounts were on autopay in her SunTrust online banking) and they all issued new account numbers and cards. She was in tears and her husband wanted her to toss the computer out for all the aggravation with it lately. So far, no damage Thumbs Up , but wow! what a scare! Since they have her drivers license, there may still be a problem down the road...

There must be a special place in HELL for phishers, scammers, spammers and the like for causing such havoc! :D

My instruction to her was that if any of her banking/financial/creditors/insurance, etc institutions contact her via email, read it. Print if she wants. Then close the email. Close ALL programs and then go out to the website and login like normal. If they really want you to update something, the website will let you know when you enter your account. NEVER click a link in an email! Period.

-Samantha

Yes Thomas, there is a SunTrust.

SunTrust IS a real bank, mainly in the south and eastern part of the USA. They were 2 big banks that merged. Most notably the one bank, Trust Bank of Georgia, holds quite a bit of ORIGINAL COCA COLA stock. They helped to finance the original venture. Not a bad investment huh?

I worked for Sun Bank (the other bank) then SunTrust for 17 years before deciding I am not a banker, or insurance person ;) Slow learner I guess. :dance: I love my current job (been there more than 4 years) and so glad I left the bank! :(

-Samantha