Sign in to follow this  
DaffiDuck

How To Stop Hot Linking

How do you stop someone from hotlinking on your website and using your bandwidth?

Is there a way to stop them from copying pictures and hotlinking?

Can Total Choice notify the user of the abuse?

There are lots of ways, javascript etc. But all of them can be gotten around. The best bet is to use watermarking to make the image harder to use. =)

there are far to many pictures for me to do that

what javascript can do this

There are several watermark programs that have a batch mode. I use ReaWatermark for this, its nice software but runs about $30. You might be able to find something free if you look around.

I use this to disable right click on images only. It works well for IE, not quite so good for Netscape or Mozilla. They also have one that disables right click for all purposes, but I find that majorly annoying.

Virtual,

Looks nice but it won't help you one bit if someone has a little bit knowledge of html and webpages.

As a proof.

Do you recognize this picture :-)

(don't worry, i will delete it from my computer after it's done)

<IMage removed>

It's not really hotlinking if they take your image and put it on their own space. Then it's just plain stealing. :) I'm not sure that you'll ever be able to stop that...but the watermark idea sounds good...at least then if they steal it you get credit. Well...unless you put the watermark on a corner and they cut that part out... :D

Virtual,

Looks nice but it won't help you one bit if someone has a little bit knowledge of html and webpages.

As a proof.

Do you recognize this picture :-)

(don't worry, i will delete it from my computer after it's done)

I know it doesn't stop everyone. DaffiDuck asked specifically about preventing someone from rightclicking on an image and downloading it. That's what this script does, despite its limitations for stopping other types of theft.

Hey Rob, before you go claiming credit, you should know I have the orignal negative. There's still something to be said for using my old trusty low-tech Nikon. I'm shooting digital now (just since May) and I think about that a lot... not having the negatives to prove I took the picture. Of course, there's the metadata (that shows the date created) and the original (unmanipulated) version of the image... better than what someone else would have if they stole the image and we ended up in court. I have to convince myself that that's enough or I'll drive myself crazy worrying about it. The pros of having my images up on my website to promote myself as an artist outweigh the cons of someone using my image. To protect myself, at least a little, I upload very low res images that would not look good printed at any kind of display size, I have hotlink protection enabled and rightclick disabled, I have a copyright notice on each image, and I have the original photos, negatives, slides or unmanipulated versions of the images to prove that they're mine That's as much as I can or am willing to do. If it's not enough, so be it, I guess. Unless someone out there has some other suggestions I can easily implement? I'm all ears.

preventing someone from rightclicking on an image and downloading it.

Just as a note - that only works in IE and other browsers are quickly gaining ground. I believe you know this already, but just to clarify for others looking. =)

Are you sure Randy, I have a negative too. Maybe not that one but I do have one. My wife says it is my attitude. :D I use a steganography tool to embed copyright text into my pictures as a precaution too. You cant see the text but if I find my image on a website I can use the tool to prove it is mine.

You? A negative attitude???? Not in a million years!!!! :D You have way too good a sense of humor to have a negative attitude.

I am very intrigued by this steganography tool... I think I need to know more about it. Care to share? Naughty

thanks all for your imput......i will read up on everything suggested.

I only caught the guy hotlinking cause its the same msg board I visit. I did ask him nicely and he told me go to *** myself.

But I did point out that my pages did have a disclaimer and needed MY permission.

He tried to sound as if he didnt care but he changed IP's.....which I also pointed out to him and the rest of the board......who until that time "looked up to him" He made a total I AM A SPAMMER of himself over this.

One last question. On CPanel where is this information that someone is hotlinking? is it in lastest visitors and what am I looking for ?

I want to see if i can find his IP

Latest visitors gives just that, only those visitors seeing files lately. Long term you can check your logs. Turn on hotlinking and he will have nothing to grab.

Just be aware that sometimes turning on hotlink protection can make your pictures not show up to other people. You might want to read this thread

VI - speaking of pictures, did you have your seminar in France this fall? If so, how did it go?

Just a note about using javascript to prevent right clicking...

I use right click to navigate (open in new tab) - and I know I'm not alone.

When I get to a site that prevents me from navigating it normally, I leave - no matter what the site may have to offer.

You can't prevent someone from stealing your images but you can report them to the US copyright office if they refuse to stop using them after you've asked.

I agree wholeheartedly and am glad with the concept and implementation of hotlinking protection so as to prevent abuse of our bandwidths. On the same hand, I feel personally that the copyright issue has been taken pretty far.

It's acceptable that the author should be duly credited for their work. All the same, in the past, people have created great pieces of work without the existence of copyrights. Beethoven wrote a lot of beautiful melodies without such protection. Even today, in the world of fashion, innovation and profitability flourishes without copyright protection on the designs.

I'm more of a believer of a GPL sort of product. :) Doing away with right-clicks is just highly inconvenient.

I agree that disabling the right click functions is highly inconvenient... that's why I disable it only for images. On my pages all other functions of right click (like "Back," "Bookmark," and "View Page Source") still work. That's why I thought it was a pretty cool script.

Bell, I wasn't able to get a group together to do the seminar in Provence... between the economy and the politics (anti-French feelings here, anti-semitism in France) and the general fear of travel, it was just bad timing. Hopefully it will happen another time. Thanks for asking.

I disagree about copyright protection being taken too far. When people profit off the physical work of others without paying them for that work it is called slavery. Profiting off the creative work of others is equally illegal and abominable.

VI

Bell, I wasn't able to get a group together to do the seminar in Provence... between the economy and the politics (anti-French feelings here, anti-semitism in France) and the general fear of travel, it was just bad timing. Hopefully it will happen another time. Thanks for asking.

That is too bad. :( I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm also sorry people have to be so spiteful towards people because of what their government does. A friend of mine in France told me that the general sentiment towards americans right now isn't the best either, and that's a shame. I found the french people to be very caring and wonderful and I was well treated when I lived there.

As for anti-semitism, has something happened recently? In order to not hijack this thread even more, you can send me a PM if you want. :)

PM sent... I pasted in three articles from the NY Times, Vanity Fair, etc. concerning anti-semitism in France being not only on the rise, but prevalent. Scary stuff!

One thing not mentioned - for really kewl graphics you can cut them into squares and load them. Not sure if you know what I mean? When people download the graphic they will only get one square of it. I wish I had done this in the past for sure.

I used that kewl stop hot linking for my clip art site (www.clipclop.ca) and then I realized how many graphics I had linked to my own site from that site. LOL!!!!

Some days its hard being blonde :D

Weezy

I agree that disabling the right click functions is highly inconvenient... that's why I disable it only for images. On my pages all other functions of right click (like "Back," "Bookmark," and "View Page Source") still work. That's why I thought it was a pretty cool script.

Many users don't need to 'right click' at all. They can drag and drop images into a folder. So you have to disable left click as well, then :D Some people do.

Yeah... I see that works too. I guess we're all just up the creek then without the proverbial paddle. All we can do is trust people and you know how that far will get us. My belief in the inner goodness of all souls has been seriously challenged as of late.

Oh well...

Here's something to think about...

Say you've got some monster script that disables the ability of a user to right-click for an image or drag it offscreen. Are you safe? No:

1) Tools Menu -> View Page Source

2) Copy image location to clipboard

3) Open new window, point it to image location

4) Right-click, save

There are some potential ways to work around that sequence as well, but they're tougher.

One thing not mentioned - for really kewl graphics you can cut them into squares and load them. Not sure if you know what I mean? When people download the graphic they will only get one square of it. I wish I had done this in the past for sure.

Weezy,

Can you point us to an example of an image on the web loaded that way? I'd like to see what happens to it when I try to save it, etc. Also, can you explain how it's done? Is there software that does this? Can it do it in batches? Or is it done manually one image at a time with each square being uploades seperately? Sounds cumbersome if that is the case...

Thanks,

VI

PS: Gee thanks, Robert! If the whole world didn't already know how to steal images, they certainly do now! Do you have any recipes for bombs that you'd like to post too???

OK, sorry. Maybe the comparison is a bit strong :( But really!

I know the info is out there and many people have that knowledge, but it's not as many as you think.... The average person (not the ones who moderate these forums, but the ones like me who come looking to learn, and not the ones in your IT classes, but the ones in other areas of study perhaps) would not know how to do that. Hell, plenty of them don't even know what the right click is for. After all the talk (on this thread today and on Weezy's thread about TCH Policy yesterday) about copyright infringement, do we really need to give people a step-by-step on how to do it?

Well I've had the pleasure of looking at some of the graphics that were held on sale and I was quite astounded by the high prices they charge for small pieces of graphics or even a collection of it.

While I feel that copyright is useful in acknowledging due credit to authors of work, I do not believe that the authors of such work are damaged in every case, to the point of calling it slavery.

Unlike the rest of U.S. law, copyright is not based on the principal of equity, which requires not only evidence of an actual 'hurt' but evidence of losses commensurate with the damages claimed. A simple act of copying, whether it causes loss to the author or not, is considered an infringement. Any infringement is liable for statutory damages. These are damages set by the statute in fixed amounts and can be as high as $150,000 per item copied.

It has now come to a point where people actually believe any copying to be bad, not just infringing. While recycling has become the mantra in our physical world, the idea has become lost, if not vilified in our cultural life. Because some copyright owners do not understand that all creation is simply copying and recombination at some level, they promote the 'myth of originality' as they do new artists and works for sale.

If what you say is to be practised, all of us at TCH forums should not be dishing out information for free. Why should we let others profit from the hard work we undertook to gain those information?

Thanks all for the imput Rock Sign

I did stop the hotlinking.....and only asked about the right clicking issue because this guy threatened more actions because i stopped the hotlinking:

You're a vain, arrogant fool. I'm gonna be hotlinking your amateur pix all over the Net now. Maybe I will, maybe other people will. You'll have a lot of people to find and sue. Have fun.

So I just figured I would try to get ahead of the game and prevent him doing this

First of all, "dishing out information for free" on this forum is a choice. Many people do charge for passing along information. They are called consultants and teachers. Second of all, the information being passed here on the forum, in general, was not created by the person doing the passing, except in the case of people sharing scripts they have written and then they do it by choice. The information is being freely shared by the person who holds it, not stolen from him without his permission.

Any copying of creative work (that the creator has not chosen to share) by its very nature causes loss to the author, composer, artist, or inventor who created that work. Creating and selling art is my livelihood. It puts food on my table. When you copy and enjoy and profit from my creative efforts, you are causing me to lose the fruits of my labor. Having other people labor for your benefit without compensation is immoral. If the work they were doing were physical instead of creative it would indeed be called slavery whether you believe it to be that or not. Luckily the courts do not agree with you.

I also profit from teaching others how to do what I do. The information I give them is freely available on the internet in tutorials. I have no problem with that. I even am happy to share the information with people on this forum and do from time to time when a Photoshop question comes up and I can be of help to someone. That is an entirely different matter. No one is taking that information from me without my consent. I can choose when and with whom I share information. I can choose how much information I want to give away for free and at what point I should ask them to enroll in a workshop or ask someone else. With the information I give them, they may be able to make their own creations... that is good. And it is different then them taking mine. That's why information and creative property are not the same thing.

Due credit is all well and good. It does not, however, make it ok to steal and appropriate other people's work without compensation.

Thanks all for the imput    Rock Sign

I did stop the hotlinking.....and only asked about the right clicking issue because this guy threatened more actions because i stopped the hotlinking:

You're a vain, arrogant fool. I'm gonna be hotlinking your amateur pix all over the Net now. Maybe I will, maybe other people will. You'll have a lot of people to find and sue. Have fun.

So I just figured I would try to get ahead of the game and prevent him doing this

Daffi, who is this jerk? Does he have a site? Maybe you could report abuse to his webhost. I'm sure there are other people on this forum who might know how you can report him and to whom. You may not be able to protect your images, but you sure should be able to cause this guy some well deserved problems.

No site that I know of......he belongs to a msg board I frequent where i do a lot of the tech support for people there who have no computer skills so I provide "tutorials" and I made the mistake of using one of my domains here for one.

He then proceeded to harrass me on the boards because I had a different opinion than he did. He is one of those jerks you always find on a msg board.

Thats why i wanted to figure out his IP....so I can report him. The webmaster on the msg board refuses to help as it would "set precident".

partial ISP is dyn.optonline.net

You dont happen to have received an email from this guy sometime. Im thinking the ip should be traceable through that.