Google Your Own Pc

youneverknow

Google has just released a program that will search YOUR computer to find stuff you can't on your own. (or so they say)

# Find your email, files, web history and chats instantly

# View web pages you've seen, even when you're not online

# Search as easily as you do on Google

Google Desktop Search finds:

Outlook / Outlook Express Word

AOL Instant Messenger Excel

Internet Explorer Powerpoint PowerPoint

Text

I haven't tried it myself yet but I am tempted to try it.

Here is the link: http://desktop.google.com/

youneverknow

9. What about my privacy? Does Google Desktop Search share my content with anyone?

We treat your privacy with the utmost respect. The Google Desktop Search program does not make your computer's content accessible to Google or anyone else. You can learn more by reading the Desktop Search privacy policy.

Google Desktop Search Privacy Policy

Google is commited to making search on your desktop as easy as searching the web. We recognize that privacy is an important issue, so we designed and built Google Desktop Search with respect for your privacy. This Privacy Policy describes how Google Desktop Search works with the information on your computer. The Google Privacy Policy also describes general principles that apply to Google Desktop Search as well.

What does Google Desktop Search do with the information on my computer?

So that you can easily search your computer, the Google Desktop Search application indexes and stores versions of your files and other computer activity, such as email, chats, and web history. These versions may also be mixed with your Web search results to produce results pages for you that integrate relevant content from your computer and information from the Web.

Your computer's content is not made accessible to Google or anyone else without your explicit permission.

For more information about what Google Desktop Search can do, please see the Product FAQ.

What information does Google receive?

By default, Google Desktop Search collects a limited amount of non-personal information from your computer and sends it to Google. This includes summary information, such as the number of searches you do and the time it takes for you to see your results, and application reports we'll use to make the program better. You can opt out of sending this information during the installation process or from the application preferences at any time.

Personally identifying information, such as your name or address, will not be sent to Google without your explicit permission.

How we use unique application numbers, cookies and related information.

Your copy of Google Desktop Search includes a unique application number. When you install Google Desktop Search, this number and a message indicating whether the installation succeeded is sent back to Google so that we can make the software work better. Additionally, when Google Desktop Search automatically checks to see if a new version is available, the current version number and the unique application number are sent to Google. If you choose to send us non-personal information about your use of Google Desktop Search, the unique application number with this non-personal information also helps us understand how you use Google Desktop Search so that we can make it work better. The unique application number is required for Google Desktop Search to work and cannot be disabled.

Google Desktop Search uses the same cookie as Google.com and other Google services. If you send us non-personal information about your Google Desktop Search use, we may be able to make Google services work better by associating this information with other Google services you use and vice versa. You can opt out of sending such non-personal information to Google during the installation process or from the application preferences at any time.

How do I keep Google Desktop Search from indexing or displaying certain files?

If there are any files or other data that you do not want indexed by Google Desktop Search, there are several ways that you can keep this data from being displayed, copied and indexed, as well as ways to remove it from the index after it has been included. You can see specific instructions on removing items in the user guide.

How to uninstall Google Desktop Search.

You can end your use of Google Desktop Search at any time by uninstalling the Google Desktop Search software through the "Add or Remove Programs" Control Panel. When you uninstall the software, the Google Desktop Search index and its copies of all items are deleted. The original files and applications remain unaffected. For more information about privacy and Google Desktop Search, please see the Privacy FAQ.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us at any time at privacymatters@google.com. We look forward to hearing your feedback.

So that you can easily search your computer, the Google Desktop Search application indexes and stores versions of your files and other computer activity, such as email, chats, and web history. These versions may also be mixed with your Web search results to produce results pages for you that integrate relevant content from your computer and information from the Web.

I dunno...I'm sure there's no harm in it. Are they saying it will affect the ads you see in google and such here though? It does sound kind of like this info would be available to the folks at google. And they don't tell us much about how they do the indexing and such...so it seems a little off-putting to me. I'm sure it could be useful to many people though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did give it a spin--and it never really spun for me. It found 4,906 files worth scanning, on a computer with over 5000 MP3s alone. Tried to get it to rescan, but it constantly came up with the same amount.

Now, I have 5,102 MP3 files (all legal I will note with pride) 893 Office docs, 5 years of archived email, and God only knows how many other files.

So, thinking mayhaps this is a Windows thing , I tried using it on my Mac as well--with similar issues. It just does not (at least not for me) do what I was expecting.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Troy

It only indexes certain file types, and only from certain programs. for example it indexes AOL chat logs, but not Yahoo, it wont index AOL if you are using Trillian. It Indexes outlook and outlook express mail, but not any other mail program.

Kind of pointless to me