Sign in to follow this  
rnmcd

Anyone Use Phpbb?

I have vBulletin ($160) for the full-license.

I am looking at phpBB for my next board but I have heard that, based upon the way the software is coded, the board performance slows down significantly at about 85mb of storage. I think the mysql database fills considerably faster than vBulletin...but phpBB is free.

What are your experience with phpBB? How big is your messsage board?

thanks!

I have used phpBB based web boards with databases quite larger than 85 MB and I haven't noticed any slowdown - come to think of it, I didn't see those boards before they got that full, so I really don't have any means of comparison.

The greatest limitation I have found in phpBB is the fact that it's not built in a modular way, a way that allows you to add plugins without having to mess the core files. This is a real pain, because if you want to install a hack/mod, you'll probably have to reinstall it every time you upgrade phpBB, since those hacks/mods will be overwritten.

Other than that, I'd say phpBB is becoming a bit old (compare it's features with Invision Power Board's, for instance). What saves phpBB is the HUGE community it has and the hundreds of mods/hacks that add really usefull and neat features to it. I would like to see phpBB 2.2 finally come to life but it's taking really long... :P

Moving for organization.

Edited by TCH-Raul

I have a somewhat large phpBB forum script at http://www.poetrypages.com/phpBB2/

Not quite 85mb.. sitting at about 73 right now. It seems to run at a decent speed for me, but I am on DSL so hard to say for sure. No complaints about it being slow from members though.

For me the best.. and worst thing abouyt phpBB is the hacks/mods.

On the good end it allows me to do exactly what i want my board to and no more by having a basic script with the ability to add on mods to add to its funtionality. I don't get a board full of clutter functions that i don't want but I can add the funtionality I need.

On the bad end installing these mods can be a pain unless you know what you are doing. I can install them pretty fast now since I am so familiar with doing them. Having to upgrade though when you have a bunch of mods added to your board is a pain. If the upgrade overwrites a file that had been changed for a mod you will need to reapply the mod.

I switched from using UBB to phpBB mainly because of the price (free!). I use it on many sites byt poetrypages.com is my largest one.

No experience with Invision but I may check them out to see what the difference is although I doubt I would switch any of my current forums over, but may consider them for future ones if i like what I see.

I have a somewhat large phpBB forum script at http://www.poetrypages.com/phpBB2/

Not quite 85mb.. sitting at about 73 right now. It seems to run at a decent speed for me, but I am on DSL so hard to say for sure. No complaints about it being slow from members though.

Hi Berlie, how much bandwidth do you use per month?

thanks.

Last month it was about 12gigs.

* there is more to the site then just the forums so couldn't say how much they were using.

Mine is out of random "slow" on most ocassions...

MY CPanel often takes forever to load(also out of nowhere) ... <_<