Disable Indexing Doesn't Work

In an attempt to "hide" all my directories in /home/abc.com/public_html, I have attempted to turn off the indexing. Sorry, that isn't a choice. It isn't possible to disable the indexing of the /public_html directory to stop directory browsing.

So now I don't seem to have any choices on how to setup my FTP accounts so nobody can see them. I can't create a directory called FTP and put directories under that, Cpanel won't let me.

What is the solution? I don't think I am asking for a very complicated proceedure. I would like to put my FTP directories under an FTP directory with users accounts under it.

I can't do this B)

thanks

Well, I have to say this. Your space at TCH is intended for hosting web pages, not as an FTP server. That's really what this is sounding like.

The answer has been given to you, it just isn't what you've wanted to hear. You can create FTP users in the manner available through cpanel. Your public_html directory is designed, as was cPanel, to provide you with web page hosting capability.

I've followed your threads here and must say that I am now quite curious as to what the intention is for these FTP users. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy before you procede with this to ensure that you are not heading towards a violation. Understand that I am not accusing you of anything. I just want you to reread the TOS and AUP for your own peace of mind.

I can see legitimate reasons for needing and wanting FTP space for certain users. However, your plan's purpose is hosting web pages. Am I missing something? I'd really like to help, but I'm not sure what the big deal is. I've asked you to provide me step-by-steps to show me what it is that you are seeing so that I can try to help you eliminate your problem.

In the .htaccess file that is in your public_html directory add this one line:

Options -Indexes

If there is no .htaccess file there, just create a file with that name and place it in your public_html directory.

To make this effect global, put the line in the .htaccess file in the root of your account.

You can provent indexing of the main folder.

I would suggest you use "userftp" rather then a folder called "ftp". Its good practice never to call a folder by such things as "ftp" or other names which could easily get confused.

Jim

Well, I have to say this. Your space at TCH is intended for hosting web pages, not as an FTP server. That's really what this is sounding like.

The answer has been given to you, it just isn't what you've wanted to hear. You can create FTP users in the manner available through cpanel. Your public_html directory is designed, as was cPanel, to provide you with web page hosting capability.

I've followed your threads here and must say that I am now quite curious as to what the intention is for these FTP users. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy before you procede with this to ensure that you are not heading towards a violation. Understand that I am not accusing you of anything. I just want you to reread the TOS and AUP for your own peace of mind.

I can see legitimate reasons for needing and wanting FTP space for certain users. However, your plan's purpose is hosting web pages. Am I missing something? I'd really like to help, but I'm not sure what the big deal is. I've asked you to provide me step-by-steps to show me what it is that you are seeing so that I can try to help you eliminate your problem.

No, I am not using my space here for a dedicated FTP server with 900 megs of MP3's. :)

Just wanted to have a couple of dedicated ftp directories where friends of mine could upload possible content for my web pages or download edited content that I don't want everyone to see.

Creation of FTP directories and its location was not a huge issue at my old hosting provider. It was easy to do using the H-Sphere interface. No need to create sub-domains, lock directories, turn off indexing etc.

Seems that cpanel being as user friendly as it is, takes more steps and work arounds than H-Sphere does.

I had a user over in FTP/Servers/DNS outline the steps to isolate my ftp directory. Got it working this am. :D

Thanks!

Jim, what do you mean?

I think all questions are addressed through the agreed to TOS and AUP. Violate those and you're site/account is subject to suspension/termination.

Guess I'm lost. What do you mean?

Lianna

Jim,

If TCH is anything like the place I used to work then the account would be suspended. We would get calls all the time from customers asking why they were unable to access their account. The lawyers would contact us and we would shut them down. If we got a promise from the customer not to do it again we would turn it back on. If they were caught again it was a permanent ban, even the internet connection.

OH, I see. But my response stands. The TOS and AUP are agreed to by the client PRIOR to the illegal act and TCH is clearly exhonerated in that agreement.

Kinda like, if I'm driving 5 miles over the speed limit and pass a cop. He fails to ticket me. I then get in a wreck and cause injury to others. Can they then sue the cop????

Anyway. If there is new legal news in the protective efforts that TCH should take against such an instance, can you turn us on to a link? Thanks.

Lianna

Hi,

In your instance, you can't sue the cop, so I see your point, although it would be intresting to see if you could. In the UK there is a get out clause for cops but not sure of stateside law. I was just curious. I am one of thoose people who likes to work out every possible deviation and problem which can arise from situations and hence how to solve it.. Maybe I just need lay off the coffee hehe.

The cases I am referring to are ISPs that have been forced to give up names of people who have downloaded MP3s, and some sites have been forced to close down sites due to illegal content. Whilst the act of downloading is not illegal, the storage of them would be, hence my thought, but as you say, the above bits mean that TCH can not be held responisble as far as i can see.

Jim

Yep, I'm not a lawyer by any stretch, but I've read my fair share of agreements and have some lawyer friends. I'm pretty good at reading literally and finding the hole or possible consequences.

MY personal opinion, the downloading of an illegal mp3 is just as illegal as storing it. (Receipt of stolen goods.) But I also 'get' the ramifications of such a prosecution attempt! Could you imagine?!?

:P